Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is school spirit a big deal in college?

bella0702bella0702 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I'm currently super involved at my high school and I love it. I'm ASB Vice President and I've been in ASB since freshman year so I've always been involved in the spirit sections and rallies and I even wear orange/black tights to school every friday to show my school spirit. I also quit cheerleading so that I could be even more involved with ASB. I would love to cheer in college, but I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on being in the student section at sporting events. Is there even a student section at sporting events? If there is, is it even a big deal? I'm super curious whether or not college campuses are as spirited as I'm used to. Thanks!

Replies to: Is school spirit a big deal in college?

• OhWhatsHerNameOhWhatsHerName Registered User Posts: 816 Member
    This heavily depends on the college but a lot of state universities, particularly southern ones and those with solid football teams, are known for their school spirit. A large public u will give you the experience you’re looking for, student section and all.
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 4,085 Senior Member
    Many definitely are, just watch college football or basketball on TV and see for yourself.
  • shawnspencershawnspencer Registered User Posts: 3,110 Senior Member
    School spirit is definitely a big thing in college, at least in my opinion much more than high school. A big reason for this is the fact that most people choose their college so they are enthusiastic about it, bigger and well funded sports games, and the fact that several of them are nationally televised or attract a great deal of attention. This will of course depend on the college, if the school is not D1, not known for its school spirit, or doesn't really have the sports/arenas.

I don't think you will miss out on the student section by doing cheer, in fact I think you wold be getting more up and close to the action, and you can always watch the game with your cheer teammates. Also you don't have to do it all four years. If you decide to quit and not do it for however long, that's fine too. It's not like high school, you're doing it because you want to do it.
  • Momma2018Momma2018 Registered User Posts: 447 Member
    When you look at colleges, you will want to try to find one that has what you consider school spirit. That is part of the "fit" that you look for in your search.
  • simba9simba9 Registered User Posts: 3,261 Senior Member
    "School spirit is definitely a big thing in college, at least in my opinion much more than high school."

it depends on the college. Unless a school has a very good football or basketball team, e.g., Duke, Michigan, Ohio State, USC and Alabama, there isn't going to be much school spirit of the kind people experience in high school.
  • dcolosidcolosi Registered User Posts: 501 Member
    Depends on the school. I went to a Mid Sized State school where there was a lot of people who commuted and I would say while there is some school spirit, its not anything special. Unlike my D who goes to Indiana and that school is full of school spirit and pride. Love going to visit her down in Bloomington because of the vibe around campus.

What schools are you considering?
  • BooBooBearBooBooBear Registered User Posts: 389 Member
    edited June 2018
    The flagship state U’s almost always have it, some non-flagship ones will have it but some not, and there are many LACs and privates that have the same sort of school spirit (think Duke basketball or Notre Dame football), but you definitely need to do your research on them.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,769 Senior Member
    ECAC hockey is a great place to see school spirit too!
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,894 Forum Champion
    At some (e.g., Penn State) then YES!
    At others, not so much.

So if that is important to you, then take it into account. Big Football schools are often big on school spirit.
  • bobo44bobo44 Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    OP, what is ASB?
  • shawnspencershawnspencer Registered User Posts: 3,110 Senior Member
    Probably Alternative Spring Break, where students spend their spring breaks volunteering, rather than the typical vacations and the like.
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Associated Student Body