Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Smith and Kenyon Chances

fatcat27fatcat27 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
Hi there I’m a rising senior and I’m interested in Smith and Kenyon. I realize they are probably both reaches for me but both of free applications and I love their campuses so I figure it’s worth a shot.

W GPA: 4.11 UW GPA: 3.3 (my gpa is low because I took almost all honors/AP classes all four years and got As in English and history but B/C s in math and science - I’m kinda relying on colleges acknowledgeing the fact I challenged myself)

SAT: 1420

APs: 5 APUSH, 5 AP Lang (my school doesn’t let sophomores take APs but I also took Evon junior year - I got an 86 in the class but a 2 on the AP; I’m taking AP Euro, AP Chinese, AP Gov, and AP Lit senior year)

SAT 2: 750 US history

Extra Curriculars: Varsity Girls Golf, President/Founder of Women’s Empowerment Club, President of Junior Statesmen Club, Girl Scout, Girls State, Diversity Club Secretary

Btw I want to be a history major - I hope the fact this is a less popular major helps me but I could be wrong

Thanks!

Replies to: Smith and Kenyon Chances

• TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 1,649 Senior Member
    They might be somewhat challenging in terms of admission, but you are certainly a reasonable candidate, especially if you can get across your interest in history and your success in reading/writing classes in a positive, forward-looking way. They are strong schools academically, and very, very nice locations--or at least they have my vote too. Some other similar schools academically and also very nice campuses--Rhodes College in Memphis (check out its website) and Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA. You might also look at Denison University and the College of Wooster, both also in OH. If you are willing to live on a mountain, check out Sewanee, which also could hardly be more beautiful. If you are considering Smith, how about Mount Holyoke? Here are the links for Rhodes, Sewanee, and Dickinson, just because I think they are such lovely places (I was at Rhodes just a couple of days ago). Check out the Sewanee video.

http://admission.sewanee.edu

https://www.rhodes.edu/content/about-rhodes

http://www.dickinson.edu/homepage/278/visit

Good luck!

• PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 7,253 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    Likely at Smith College & Kenyon reasonable chance if you apply ED.

@TTG: Great post.
  • HapworthHapworth Registered User Posts: 482 Member
    edited July 2018
    OP, what kind of HS do you attend? I ask because there are highly selective, very rigorous, usually private high schools where a 3.3/4.11 will get one into a number of fine schools (not Ivies or Williams/Amherst, but a whole bunch of "top" schools).

That said, if you do not attend one of these "elite" high schools, I'm going to be a bit frank and politely disagree with the others. Smith and Kenyon would be super reachy. Impossible? No. But you better have one heck of an application to make these two colleges say, "Okay, so her UW GPA is a bit low, but we gotta have her!"

Make sure you have match schools. A student like you has so many terrific options. There are lots of LACs out there that will offer educations just as rigorous as Smith and Kenyon. In OH, for instance, there is Denison, Wooster, Ohio Wesleyan, and Oberlin (note, even in this group, Oberlin and Denison would be reachy--Oberlin, very reachy, and Denison just kinda reachy (Denison has become much more selective in recent years).
  • fatcat27fatcat27 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    @Hapworth I don't go to a private school but I'm from New Jersey and like most of the schools here my school is extremely competitive is that what you mean by "elite"? In my opinion the classes at my school are harder than most schools because too many kids are able to achieve near perfect GPAs. If I don't go to a more elite liberal arts school I will probably go to larger school such as U of Maryland or GW, but thank you for the suggestions!
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 4,571 Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    I would really look at Mt Holyoke. IMHO it’s almost a Kenyon and smith composite. And you would be a solid candidate if you applied ed. It’s beautiful and a bit more chill but certainly filled with high achievers. I have no relationship to the school in any way other than spending time there with friends during my college days 20 years ago. And checking in on it as a parent of a young woman who just graduated HS. Seriously. Take the virtual tour.
  • sattutsattut Registered User Posts: 1,000 Senior Member
    If you want to go to a LAC, I would apply to a few at that level and a few at a little lower level. I think you have a shot at the schools mentioned.