Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Mid-size schools with merit financial aid?

LiterateGuy1766LiterateGuy1766 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
We're trying to pinpoint some schools for my daughter in the 4,000 -- 15,000 student range. One of our goals is to find places in that range where she's likely to be admitted (obviously!) and receive some merit financial aid. She's going in undeclared, so we're not obsessed with particular majors or programs. Thus far, we're impressed with Butler, Denver, Dayton, and St. Louis University -- these seems like quality schools that offer decent merit aid for students with 30+ ACT. Are there any other schools we might look at? (Villlanova, Santa Clara, and Case Western also are possibilities.)

Replies to: Mid-size schools with merit financial aid?

• suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,384 Senior Member
    What are her stats? (GPA, rank, test scores, etc.) What is the budget?
  • LiterateGuy1766LiterateGuy1766 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    3.75 GPA -- will have 8 AP courses
    34 ACT
    Elite athlete (unfortunately in figure skating, which does not attract scholarship $)

We probably don't want to spend much more than $30-$35K.
  • Twoin18Twoin18 Registered User Posts: 860 Member
    Butler and Case Western will be more like $40K-$45K after merit aid: Butler offer almost everyone about $16K-$18K, Case Western go up to half tuition on their auto-merit scale (with a few larger competitive scholarships).
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,684 Senior Member
    If she likes Dayton, take a look at Xavier or Marquette.

Univ Cincinnati (public) popular in our area, as sticker price starts off lower for out of state kids than many regular priced privates, and I believe they give merit, though someone else should chime in.

Miami of Ohio is a mid-sized public school which gives good merit and seems to have very happy kids.
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,384 Senior Member
    I agree with Miami of Ohio. She could get decent merit there. Maybe Pitt?
    Miami (OH) was her top choice for awhile, but she didn't cooled a little after visiting. I've thought about Cincy and Pitt -- good suggestions! I know that Pitt's merit $ has decreased over the years.
    Right -- I see where only 3% of incoming students get merit aid at Pitt.
  • Boomer1964Boomer1964 Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    Another vote for Miami, Cinci, and Pitt
  • Minnie2021Minnie2021 Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Miami sounds good
  • bobo44bobo44 Registered User Posts: 157 Junior Member
    University of San Diego!

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,185 Forum Champion
    @sybbie719 or @MaineLonghorn please move this thread to the FA Scholarships forum. TIA
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 3,673 Senior Member
    Northeastern
    With USD -- the numbers look about right, but I wonder a little about campus feel. I've read in various places that the students are on the affluent side -- expensive cars, etc. (Not saying that's actually true, of course.)

Northeastern is a good one, but she visited and wasn't in love. She loves the city but wants to go someplace that's a little removed.

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 72,195 Senior Member
    Her ACT is fine for getting competitive merit aid. Not so sure about her GPA.

Pitt, in particular, has gotten more competitive in terms of awarding merit aid. Santa Clara too. And Santa Clara is quite expensive.

I think getting your cost to $30,000 will be a challenge at schools listed...with the exception of Miami.

If you can pay $35,000, and she takes the Direct Loan, you would be pretty close to the cost OOS for the SUNY schools.

Are you an Ohio resident?

The demographics at U of San Diego are just about the same as Santa Clara in terms of affluent students. These are expensive private schools.

Another I might suggest is Southern Methodist University near Dallas. But if you are looking for a private University without affluent kids, you will have a little difficulty finding it.

But I should add, we are far from very affluent, and our kids never had cars in college. DD is a grad of Santa Clara, and she never ever felt out of place there. But the school is very expensive.

Look at the honors colleges at your instate public universities. Those are a way to make the big school feel smaller.

What exactly didn’t she like about Miami (Ohio)?

And...
    University of Pittsburgh has a total undergraduate enrollment of 19,123
    . Add in the grad students and you are near 30,000.
    University of Cincinnati is a public institution that was founded in 1819. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 25,860

Your $30k to $35k budget should be able to fund the instate publics in your state...especially if you add in the Direct Loan. Are you looking at any of these schools? Or only private universities?
  • LuckyCharms913LuckyCharms913 Registered User Posts: 937 Member
    You might look at Creighton, which is yet another Jesuit college but in/near Omaha.

Merit at Villanova is very limited but she could certainly give it a try. And this is only my opinion, but U Dayton reminded me quite a lot of Villanova (but less pretentious).