Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where do I go????

gkk1100gkk1100 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I am a current freshman nursing major at Seton Hall University, and HATE IT WITH A BURNING PASSION. I am looking to transfer into either nursing or biology programs at schools with good rankings and located down south. Some places I am looking at are UMiami, UFlorida, Tulane, Virginia Tech, etc? I would love recommendations/answers for where I should be looking? I want a school that's at least medium sized, has lots of school spirit, and a strong sense for sports, while also having a high ranking academically. BLAST AWAY!

Replies to: Where do I go????

• Pgh1momPgh1mom Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Just curious on why you hate Seton Hall?
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 4,714 Senior Member
    I know someone very well who graduated in nursing from Seton Hall, and went on to do a master's at Columbia. She has since been very successful in a nursing career.

One very important issue is that you should not transfer unless and until you can figure out that you are transferring to a place that you will like better. We do occasionally see posts on CC from students who transferred, and now want to either transfer again to a third (or in one case fourth) school, or who want to transfer back to their first school.

Most importantly: Why do you hate Seton Hall? You have named some other very good schools, but why would you want to attend any of them instead of attending Seton Hall?

Also important: What is your budget, your state of residence, and your GPA (high school and university)?
  • me29034me29034 Registered User Posts: 1,618 Senior Member
    Does Tulane even have nursing? How did you pick these schools?
  • aquaptaquapt Registered User Posts: 1,561 Senior Member
    I think you will find that only a limited number of schools take applications for sophomore transfers into the nursing program. U of Cincinnati is one that does (and the city is right on the Kentucky border so it's at least southern-adjacent). U of Kentucky and U of Memphis also allow transfer students to compete with internal applicants for sophomore admission to nursing. I'm sure there are others, but a seamless transition may be difficult. Your other option is to transfer into a non-clinical major and prepare to appy to entry-level MSN programs.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 9,980 Super Moderator
    edited November 2018
    I'm not sure if you're still checking this thread, but UNC Chapel Hill is a perfect match for all of your criteria.
    good rankings and located down south...I want a school that's at least medium sized, has lots of school spirit, and a strong sense for sports, while also having a high ranking academically.
    It is one of only two public universities in the US to meet the full need of all admitted domestic students, and it's much easier to be admitted as a transfer since the cap on the number of out-of-state students is only enforced for freshman admissions.

The downside is that UNC Nursing typically accepts applications only from students finishing their sophomore years, and Carolina students are not guaranteed admission to the nursing program.

• ConnierainbowConnierainbow Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    UNC Chapel Hill accepts transfer students every year. Where can I find the data?
  • gkk1100gkk1100 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I hate Seton Hall for myself. I think the school is just personally a little small for my liking and their science programs seem to be severely underfunded, the skeletons in my lab classes were falling apart. I am not interested in doing nursing anymore, I am focusing on pre med now (specifically a biology program or maybe even sociology).
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 692 Member
    edited January 11
    @Connierainbow asked
    UNC Chapel Hill accepts transfer students every year. Where can I find the data?

The transfer data for 2017/18 starts on p11 of the CDS. It does not break out the data by school/nursing/major

https://oira.unc.edu/files/2018/06/CDS_2017-2018_20180605.pdf

Here are the transfer admissions contacts, don't hesitate to reach out to them:
    https://studentsuccess.unc.edu/transfer-students-contact/
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 4,714 Senior Member
    edited January 11
    "I am not interested in doing nursing anymore"

This is a very important point that was missing from your original post.

"I am focusing on pre med now"

Another important point that is missing: What was your high school GPA, and what is your university GPA?

Premed has of course been discussed in detail in many threads on CC. There are a very large number of universities that have very strong premed programs. As such there are a huge number of schools to choose from and the "prestige" of your undergraduate school does not matter much at all.

Two things that are critically important:

You need to maintain a very high GPA if you actually want to have a chance to get into medical school. As such your current GPA matters, and attending a university that has significant grade deflation is a bad idea. Most schools with significant grade deflation are famous and highly ranked.

Medical school is expensive. You need to avoid debt for undergrad. As such staying in-state is likely to be a very good idea at this point in time.

I have now found from your other thread that you have a 3.3 GPA from your first semester. If you want to have medical school as an option then you will need to pull this up a bit. Do you have a plan for how you are going to improve your GPA?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,182 Senior Member
    What classes have you taken so far?
    If your first semester GPA is a 3.3 check out whether DO schools (Med schools with osteopathy) would be of interest as well as PA programs.
    Have you started volunteering and shadowing? Even if you do that as a student-nurse it still counts :-)
    What can your parents afford without debt?
    If you're serious about med/do school, you should consider your instate universities. What state are you from?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,463 Forum Champion
    Premed? You got a 3.3 in nursing-level sciences. Premed sciences are more difficult.

How much will your parents pay per year?

What was your GPA and ACT/SAT scores?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,463 Forum Champion
    edited January 12
    have a 1260 SAT score, 92 GPA from high school with honors and AP classes, and received a 3.3 GPA in my first semester. I am looking at the biology or sociology program and am on a pre med track.

What is your home state?

What classes did you take last semester and what grades did you get in each?