Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help me shorten my college list!

Replies to: Help me shorten my college list!

• appalachymomappalachymom Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    If I were you I would keep Vanderbilt on the list and apply for the Cornelius Vanderbilt scholarship. Very competitive, but I think it is full tuition, leaving money for future grad/professional school if desired.

I would also keep Notre Dame. You are a URM at ND and maybe have a real chance for merit money there too.

And you are so fortunate to have "almost free" UW-Madison as your state flagship choice!
  • NCKrisNCKris Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Your stats and ECs are great ! For a high stats student, it is not easy to find matches. Your safety is UW and may get a scholarship.
    You could apply to HYPS, as you never know if you get lucky.
    Are you applying to direct MD program (NU HPME, Brown PLME etc.) or regular undergrad, If you are leaning towards Premed, then MIT, Caltech, Chicago, HarveyMudd, Berkeley, Cornell, CMU are not good choices, but great for CS.

Run NPC for each college, as they can be very different from your FAFSA EFC.
    As another poster advised, make a grouping of High Reach, Low Reach and Match/Safety with 2-3 in each group
    Did you visit any of these schools ?
    It looks like you need to decide first how important/likely Premed is, and you can drop a lot of these schools..
    You will spend a lot of time writing essays, and they are very important for these reach schools.
  • RamonaPhan1102RamonaPhan1102 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @knowsstuff yeah I was considering Michigan! I couldn't find any scholarships for out-of-state students tho ?
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 1,940 Senior Member
    I hate to sound too judgemental on this but how do you like both of these?

"Dartmouth (Nature and fitness!) and Columbia (NYC, many opportunities, dual degree with university in France)"

I've been to both of these, surprising as that may be, and they're really different wrt feel, culture, location. Once you get an idea what kind of campus you prefer and location, that will help narrow it down.

"Pomona (California)"

Again, if you like California because of the weather, you can eliminate more colleges that have pretty brutal weather, at least compared to California, but I won't name them to protect the innocent.
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 1,976 Senior Member
    You mention you want some rah-rah school spirit & basketball & football games. While the Ivy League schools (& U of Chicago/Carnegie-Mellon/Wash U/CalTech) might have teams in these sports, in general the arenas & stadia are nowhere near full, & the atmosphere at games is not very exciting. There are a few exceptions, especially in basketball (where Penn & Princeton can have generated considerable excitement in the past) & men's ice hockey (in which some Ivies like Harvard & Yale might have nationally ranked teams). But in general, if you want your college experience to include some intense sports, you can drop the Ivies (& Chicago et. al.).
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,747 Senior Member
    edited January 11
    You could apply to University of Pittsburgh early next year, it's great for neuroscience and in a fun city.
    It's possible that you would get merit there.

Other merit possibilities are Ohio State and Temple. These also have college sports and school spirit.

I would remove schools that don't look affordable with either merit or need based aid, based on net price calculator results and with future med school in mind.
  • allyphoeallyphoe Registered User Posts: 1,903 Senior Member
    Agreed. "School spirit" is not at all what comes to mind for Yale.
  • RiversiderRiversider Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    If you are spending so much out of your parent’s pocket, why bother with overcrowded out of state schools? Why go for Costco when you can go to an exclusive designer boutique?
  • HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    edited January 11
    WashU is not the place if sports/rah rah school spirit is your thing.
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    edited January 12
    I would drop Notre Dame, despite the recommendations, since it is fairly conservative and Catholic, and likely not the best place for a non-White woman.

It is noteworthy that Asians make up 5.3% of the student body, which is pretty low for any selective school (for comparison, U Michigan has 15%, and WashU has 19%).
  • BookLvrBookLvr Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    I notice that you have both neuroscience and computer science as major interests, which makes me wonder if you are interested in the study of artificial intelligence.

If that is the case, you might want to take a look at this list:
    https://successfulstudent.org/best-artificial-intelligence-colleges/

I would suggest keeping Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, Harvard, Yale.

I would not recommend applying to every single Ivy League school. That just doesn't seem like a good investment of your time and effort. Dartmouth and Brown--although amazing schools--seem a little less in keeping with your areas of interest than some of the other Ivies. And I don't think you will have a hard time finding people who enjoy fitness at any school (as well as some people who most decidedly do not!) I would also nix WashU if your main reason for applying to it is that it is close to home, and Pomona if your main reason for applying to it is that it is in California. (Again, these are both great schools, but the reasons you listed for including them on your list seemed less well-defined than for some of your other choices.)

Good luck with your selections!

• RiversiderRiversider Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    edited January 13
    As an Asian full pay, interest in economics, politics, neuroscience and comp sci, just a dash of partying, Rice sounds like an ideal school for you. I would suggest Duke, CMU, U Chicago,Vandy, NW as well.

Odds at Ivies, Stanford, MIT are never high if your are an Asian coming from a competitive suburban public school and upper middle class and educated family. With your interest in economics you should be able to see that paying sticker price at out of state public schools or expensive LAC doesn’t give you a good value.

I think you are a good candidate for merit scholarships at elites schools who still offer it.

• Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 807 Forum Champion
    Although Rice plays in Division 1, Rice does not have a rah rah sports culture like some of the other schools on your list. Very few students attend the sporting events.