Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Pitt v. Bing v. Other??

Replies to: Pitt v. Bing v. Other??

• mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,747 Senior Member
    There is lots of time left to decide where to go. No, I don't believe everyone is committing.

Most students won't know the financial aid award yet.
    Wait until all numbers are in.

Is your parent's income under $125,000? Then you could get free tuition at SUNYs through the Excelsior scholarship.

That would be a great deal.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,145 Forum Champion
    edited December 2018
    I'm a fan of Pitt but I would not go $80K into debt to go there over your two (no debt) SUNY options.
  • trackmbe3trackmbe3 Registered User Posts: 648 Member
    edited December 2018
    @ndates Let me start off by saying that the engineering departments at both Binghamton and Buffalo are excellent. However i agree with the above poster that the facilities at Buffalo are better. Another consideration not mentioned above is where you think you can do better academically. Binghamton Watson Engineering students are going to be mostly students who were stars with A averages in high school with top standardized test scores. That will be your competition. Versus Engineering students at Buffalo who were mostly B students in high school and who had lower standardized test scores and who did not get accepted to Binghamton. Your class rank and gpa in engineering courses will be a factor in where you can secure internships and a job upon graduation. The fact that you were accepted into honors at Buffalo indicates that you are in the top 10% of the entering class. You’ve indicated that your stats were not high enough for scholarships at Pitt and some of the other schools you applied to. Therefore I think you have a greater chance to do well grade-wise at Buffalo versus competing with students at Binghamton Watson Engineering. And doing well in Engineering is difficult enough without taking on the added burden of honors courses and a research thesis. This is why I caution you about being in honors. And also because engineering firms are less concerned with honors and more concerned with how you do in engineering courses.
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    We didn’t tour Bing because my d is interested in Chem E and Bing doesn’t have it. Actually, UB has more variety of engineering majors in general than Bing does.
    We toured Cornell, UB, RIT and U of R. The hands down best engineering tour was UB. Seriously. We did both the engineering tour and the campus tour at UB and the campus tour was just meh. Not bad but just forgettable. They really shined with the engineering tour in our opinions. You really need to go there and do the engineering tour before deciding. I am the exact opposite of a STEM person and when they did the spiel about Industrials engineering, I wanted to sign up for it!

Even if my daughter wanted a different program that Bing does have, we would have definitely steered her to UB for engineering (there are other programs that Bing shines a bit more on).
    Also, if you go for the engineering tour, set up an honors college tour as well! We did that one day over the summer and it was a very friendly and helpful tour.

And make sure your mom does the tour with you. I think it would put her mind at ease about jobs.

Good luck!
  • ndatesndates Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    Unfortunately, my parents do not qualify for the excelsior scholarship. It’s hard to wait but I’m seeing more now that it is important so I can wait for my financial aid packages
    @trackmbe3 that is a really good point for me to consider, thank you very much!
    @mom2twogirls thank you so much!! I only have done a campus tour so far and my family and I were not very impressed, but we are already planning on doing that engineering tour and we are hoping for the best.
    I have an update for all of you seeing my post, I have applied for the presidential scholarship and a NYS Stem scholarship that would give me free tuition and Binghamton and UB. I’m visiting the accepted students day in March at Pitt and my parents and I are going to talk with the financial aid office too. I am definitely more willing to wait now to make this big decision for sure. I have read lots of threads like “should I choose my dream school or the cheaper option” and in a lot of cases it seems like the dream school/more expensive option was an ivy or top 20 school and in my case UB Bing and Pitt have similar rankings especially for industrial engineering. My mom is still pushing for Pitt because she knows I love it so much, but my dad is on the opposite spectrum and pushing for the sunys but I’m reassuring my mom that I still love the sunys. The one final question is that I know I probably won’t miss out on any opportunities at either of the 3 schools, but do you think I will have the same fun college experience at all 3 of the schools? Am I really missing out on anything at Pitt I may regret later on?
  • brown2024brown2024 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    @ndates can you share more details about the presidential scholarship and NYS Stem Scholarship? My son is junior applying next year to Bing for pre med and any scholarship will help.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,449 Senior Member
    You are not missing out on anything by avoiding $80k of debt. Go to UB if you can, or Bing. Both good choices
  • STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 3,611 Senior Member
    edited January 8
  • brown2024brown2024 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    @STEM2017 Thank you - medical career is excluded(: so no hope there.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,196 Forum Champion
    edited January 9
    If you have to pay the extra 20K, definitely go to Binghamton. It is one of the flagship SUNY schools and is well regarded in the NY/NJ/CT area. It is a Kiplingers top 5 Best value schools.
    My DD went to Binghamton.

Also with Engineering, if it is ABET accredited (which it is at Bing) then you are good to go.
  • aquaptaquapt Registered User Posts: 1,557 Senior Member
    Pitt and Bing are similar enough in reputation that it can't really be justified to pay twice as much for one over the other, just based on reputation. And you don't sound as if you perceive that big a difference in the intangibles, either.

$100,000 additional over four years is a lot of money. If career prospects are really the concern, you could finish your undergrad at Bing and then get a masters from Pitt (which can include a co-op), for roughly the same as the Pitt undergrad degree alone would have cost.