Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

IU Kelley vs SMU Cox vs SCU Leavey

DylanAllDylanAll Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
I've been accepted into...

1. IU Kelley (Direct Admit) with 6k/year scholarship for Entrepreneurship/Corporate Innovation major
Pros: Most affordable option, ranks highest, direct admission
Cons: Very far from home (live in Bay Area), Cold weather, Huge, Job-placement mostly in Midwest

2. SMU Cox (Pre-Business) with 20k/year scholarship likely for Management major
Pros: Great location, Great job-placement in Dallas, Strong alumni network, Small
Cons: Pre-Business, A bit more expensive, Ranks lower than Kelley

3. SCU Leavey with no scholarship for Management major
Pros: Great job-placement/internships in Silicon Valley, close to home (preferred by mom), Small
Cons: Program not nearly as strong as Kelley or Cox, Very expensive

I'm still waiting on UW Seattle and Northeastern. I have visited SCU and plan on visiting the other campuses soon.

In your opinion, which business school is my best option? Thanks in advance.

Replies to: IU Kelley vs SMU Cox vs SCU Leavey

• HowardGradlyHowardGradly Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    Congrats on your acceptances. It sounds like you really like Kelley, and of course it is an awesome opportunity.
    Why do you assume job placement will be limited to the Midwest?
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    IU makes most sense if it is the cheapest option. The reason why most Kelley grads are place in the Midwest is because most Kelley students hail from the Midwest and want to stay there after college. But IU is recruited nationally, and if you want to work back West, or on the East coast after college, you should not have too much trouble finding a job.

Even if you are admitted into NEU, it will likely be double the cost of IU, so I would still recommend IU. Not sure about UDub, but I would assume that it too will be significantly more expensive than IU.
  • DylanAllDylanAll Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Thanks for the insight
    According to the websites job placement, most of the kids are placed in Chicago, Indianapolis, or back East. While that is not necessarily a bad thing, I would eventually like to be in the West. I know IU is the best option, but just looking at Leavey vs Cox, which do you think is best?
    Thanks. What are your thoughts on Cox vs Leavey?
  • DGDG Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    Kelley no brainer. especially with direct admit. excellent b school and recruiters consistently there.
    also direct admit more valuable in case you weren't able to achieve admission to Cox business school for some reason...freshman calculus can be very hard, and they don't weight classes like they do in high school
    Thanks DG, so would you say SCU Leavey is my weakest option?
    I would. But it isn’t weak program. Relative yes.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 3,685 Senior Member
    Kelley has my vote too.
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 1,973 Senior Member
    My SCU MBA didn’t particularly help me much in my career to be honest and didn’t open up many doors if any, but that’s a story for a different day. Met a lot of people though. I’m not sure if SCU holds that much sway outside of the Bay Area. So perhaps the others might be better.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,182 Senior Member
    Kelley or SMU if they're both affordable without parent loans.
    Yes, SCU is your weakest option.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,383 Senior Member
    Although Santa Clara has the location, SCU's placement has not been impressive.
    I would be curious to hear the story if you have time.
  • college curiouscollege curious Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    I think it really depends on what you want to do. SCU has great placement in tech type jobs but it not as strong in the finance sector. SMU is very strong in finance and not as strong in tech by far. Kelly strongest program but I think the least connected on the west coast. Truly all very good schools and options and has to be where you will be happiest. SMU probably by far the most fun socially.

Would you say that the social aspect of SMU, such as business fraternities, would be something to consider because of potential connections?