Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help Please - UGA vs IU

Replies to: Help Please - UGA vs IU

• AlmostThere2018AlmostThere2018 Registered User Posts: 925 Member
    edited January 3
    @grant123 -- We can't make this decision for you, but I think you're fully equipped to make the right choice.

What I'm sensing is that you think you *should* want to attend IU b/c its more prestigious in your current desired major but something inside of you is telling you you might regret that decision down the line b/c you're not completely sold on being a business major. And there's the higher pricetag.

You could do the famous flip a coin thing and see if you're excited or disappointed with which college wins.

Talk to your friends and family and, again, trust your gut. Good news -- you have some time to make the decision, right?
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 2,108 Senior Member
    edited January 3
    It’s $100,000 dollars over 4 years after tax. Roughly $125,000 in earned income to achieve.

If the $100,000 is not essential to your parents - emergency fund, retirement or for another child needing help for college in the future- then IU and Kelley School for a business career head start is better academically. UGA is pretty outstanding too. So if the facts above are not your family situation then UGA is the obvious choice.
  • elena13elena13 Registered User Posts: 658 Member
    You can still apply to the UGA honors program either in the next couple of weeks or once you start college if that is important to you. There is a benefit to being in the honors program at UGA with regard to registering early for classes, and it is sometimes difficult to get into certain classes without that extra advantage.
  • grant123grant123 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    You are spot on with your assessment. That’s exactly how I feel about IU. However, when I visited UGA everyone just made me feel welcomed, and I love the passion everyone has for the school. So basically I have to decide fit vs better job opportunities/location, and not sure which matters more for me
    Could you not just tell KPMG if you get a job there that you would prefer to be in the Chicago office for example?
  • geauxagaingeauxagain Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I work for the Atlanta office of one of the Big 4. You would probably apply for a job in the Atlanta, Charlotte, etc office. Work there 2 years and ask for a transfer to Chicago. A million years ago, I went to big SEC school, went to work for local office and then transferred to New York office. You could apply for a job directly to Chicago, etc office, but they will probably hire the people that had internships with them (and interns are usually from more local colleges). When I see the intern lists for Atlanta office, students are from Georgia State, UGA, Kennesaw, etc. Hope that helps!
    Thank you, that helps a lot!!
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,329 Senior Member
    Yes, you can request a specific office location but there is no guarantee. Much depends upon the area one is hired into & the need for associates at in that practice area at a particular office.

In one specialty, for example, associates & senior associates are in high demand at 26 offices in the continental US & can transfer to one's office of choice in most cases.
  • itsallinthedetailsitsallinthedetails Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    What if...for some unknown reason...you decided to switch your major... Would you rather be at IU or UGA? Does one name carry more weight than the other in business or alone. Food for thought.
    OP: If you switched your major, then UGA is the better option due to significantly lower cost of attendance.

The value in your admission to IU is that you are a direct admit into Kelley, plus, to a lesser degree, admission into the honors college.
    In your opinion, how good is the UGA business school?
    edited January 4
    UGA's business school is fine. Outstanding for insurance & risk management. Great for market research. An additional, and very important, strength is the proximity to internships and jobs in the Atlanta area.

The concern, however, is that it does not offer direct admission to freshmen (although not certain as things change).

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." (But is it worth $100,000 extra tuition?

Admission to undergraduate business schools is highly competitive due to the high costs & sacrifices required for obtaining an MBA in a full time program.
    edited January 5
    Thank you! Another question, do you know anything about Ohio State(business)?
    Not any specifics. But there is another poster on this site whom you should contact. @iubaccounting He, I presume, is a wealth of information about IU-Kelley.

Ohio State-Fisher is a well respected business school. Have you received a scholarship ?
    I received 12,500