Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Affordable Colleges in New Jersey?

2»

Replies to: Affordable Colleges in New Jersey?

• ASJackson923ASJackson923 Registered User Posts: 354 Member
    edited January 9
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,196 Forum Champion
    I woudl check out Rowan https://admissions.rowan.edu/financingeduc/scholarships.html
    They are trying to move themselves up in the rankings...they will be trying to get good students. https://admissions.rowan.edu/financingeduc/scholarships.html

TCNJ has already done that, so I don't think they are as generous with merit aid.

Rutgers is worth trying of course. They are trying to get good students not to go out of state.
  • RustyNail17RustyNail17 Registered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
    I agree with bopper. Check out Rowan, they offered my son a very generous merit scholarship. TCNJ wasn’t quite as generous but my son loves it there.
    Good luck!
  • SchadretSchadret Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    My D got offered a good scholarship from Rowan and Stockton (covered tuition). Got nothing from Rutgers. Stockton's top one seems like it would cover OOS tuition as well.
  • ManFromNeptuneManFromNeptune Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    How good is Stockton University? Any comments on it from students or parents, etc.? How reputable would it be in the NE?
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 7,685 Senior Member
    In one of your other threads you said your EFC is 0 and your parents can't help you pay anything for school. You need a full ride, not just a full tuition scholarship.

Do you have any family in the US who you could live with while you attend school? If you get a full ride can you cover travel to the US and health insurance?
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,162 Senior Member
    Do you have relatives in any State?
    What are your stats and what educational system?
    I don’t have any relatives or known people in the US. I do have my NCP and uncle and many others, but they wouldn’t be willing to even see me, let alone reside with them. By getting a full ride, yes I can somehow cover one-time travel costs to the US and my summer workings over there would help me with the health insurance.
    I have a 1600 SAT score on the new one. 99% marks in one of South Asia’s education system. Outside the stats, achievements, sports, community service all are great.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,162 Senior Member
    edited January 13
    Are you a junior or a senior?
    Hopefully a junior.
    If a senior, you'll need to take a gap year.
    If you don't have family in NJ I wouldn't advise studying there since you are not eligible for in-state rates and aid, and the OOS rates are high.
    UAlabama has a full ride for your stats.
    Did you make NMF?
    Consider some of the very good LACs they offer merit.
    When you say 'sports' would you be recruitable for Div 3? What sport?
    Are you a boy or a girl?
    @MYOS1634, I’m a junior now going to senior in a month. I didn’t know about the National Merit Scholarship at the right time so didn’t take the exam. Is it possible now? I’m sure I would’ve been an NMF. I did look at the LACs but the ones that cover need require NCP info and the ones that don’t, don’t cover the need with their scholarships. Do you have some suggestions that fit my case? I did play Inter-district basketball but I can’t in college since I have been recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis so no recruit option. I’m a boy.
2»