Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are any of these schools particularly social justice-y?

mollyamandamollyamanda Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Ithaca College
Lewis and Clark College
Rollins College
University of Rochester

Replies to: Are any of these schools particularly social justice-y?

• damon30damon30 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    edited January 9
    Ithaca College is social justice-y. Lewis and Clark College is social-y but not justice-y, Rollins College is social-y and justice-y. I don't know about the University of Rochester.
  • BookLvrBookLvr Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Is social justice-y something you WANT or do not want? Are you a junior considering what colleges to apply to or a senior with acceptances in hand deciding which college to attend?

If you are a junior, and if a commitment to social justice is something you want, I would consider schools like
    Oberlin
    Pitzer
    San Francisco State
    Mills
    UC Berkeley
    Smith
    Wesleyan
    NYU

I'm sure there are many other great schools which fit this description, but these are a few that sprung to mind.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 2,120 Senior Member
    Tufts Bowdoin Hampshire Vassar UVM Brown RISD Sarah Lawrence Bard Barnard
    New School BU and parts of a hundred more.
  • EllieMomEllieMom Registered User Posts: 1,840 Senior Member
    The social justice emphasis is definitely there at Rochester if you want to get involved. But that's definitely not the only orientation among students there.
  • mollyamandamollyamanda Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Actually I'm looking for a school that isn't TOO social justice-y. I don't somewhere conservative but I also don't want somewhere that everyone is constantly yelling at each other about cultural appropriation.
  • EllieMomEllieMom Registered User Posts: 1,840 Senior Member
    @mollyamanda Rochester should be fine for you then. Students there are generally pretty laid back. They might raise an eyebrow once in a while and there will posters and an occasional article in the newspaper, but they're generally not a yell-y bunch from what I've seen.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,936 Senior Member
    Political activity of any type tends to be lower at commuter-based universities and community colleges, compared to mainly residential universities.

But where there is political activity, some of it (of any alignment) could be intentionally obnoxious to attract attention (though sometimes such attention ends up being opposition, not support).