Thank you in advance for your responses.
My son has applied to in-state UVA Engineering and VT Engineering.
His stats are good and we are (hopefully) expecting admission offers from both in early action process.
Just wanted to sort out where should he be heading too. We have toured both universities but just need opinon in our specific case.
We live in NoVa so UVA is preferred over VT as far as location and visiting home is concerned.
Intended major is Computer Science (in Engineering school)
1) UVA is 7k more for in-state fees per year.
2) UVA has 128 credits v/s VT has 123 credits for graduating.
3) He will have about 11-12 AP courses that can fetch him credits. We are hoping to use that to complete Engineering in 3 years to save some money.
4) Overall on the web, VT seems to have better review esp. for engineering however I see that grads from UVA earn more out of college. Is it because there are three times as many @VT
and hence the average is less because of the spread?
5) He intends to pursue Masters, which one would be more reputable in that case to get admitted to other higher league universities?
6) Apart from business courses is there any other advantage that UVA offers
7) Which one has less competition to get courses, as this may be important if he wants to finish in 3 years.
8) Which one has more research opportunities?
Numbers for 2018 fall point UVA Engineering is still harder to get in than VT Engineering. Is that just again because VT is a larger school?
CS does not seem to be like a hard-core engineering subject, hence the dilemma is even deeper for us.
Thanks for all your feedback.