Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
0100100010000101001000100001 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
Hey guys,
I have ended first semester of junior year with a B in ap calculus ab and ap chem and an a in apush, ap capstone seminar, and two regular classes. i want to go to pre med but my grades in the two most important subjects are not the best. i have ended this semester with a 4.33 gpa and i really want to know what colleges i have a chance in. my overall gpa is 4.045 right now. I am in asb, i am the co-president of two clubs, a vice president of a club, and i am also a candidate of students of the year for leukemia lymphoma society. I have a lot of extracurricular activities and i have been taking practice sat tests and have gotten around 1530s on them. Please let me know what colleges I should be targeting. I am an asian american guy.

Replies to: Help

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,463 Forum Champion
    edited January 10
    Hey guys,
    I have ended first semester of junior year with a
    B in ap calculus ab and ap chem
    and an a in apush, ap capstone seminar, and two regular classes.

i want to go to pre med but my grades in the two most important subjects are not the best.

i have ended this semester with a 4.33 gpa and i really want to know what colleges i have a chance in.

my overall gpa is 4.045 right now. I am in asb, i am the co-president of two clubs, a vice president of a club, and i am also a candidate of students of the year for leukemia lymphoma society. I have a lot of extracurricular activities and

i have been taking practice sat tests and have gotten around 1530s on them. Please let me know what colleges I should be targeting. I am an asian american guy.

So, you’re a junior?

What is your home state?

How much will your parents pay each year? Ask them, please don’t guess. We see later posts from a lot of disappointed students who thought their parents would pay more.

How serious are you about going to med school? Is it just a romantic dream?
  • TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 1,497 Senior Member
    Please do not worry. A couple of B's junior year won't impact your ability to go to med school at all. Med schools will have no idea about them, and they will be far back in your rearview mirror when you are applying to med school, or pursuing other opportunities.

Or course work hard. But also take time to get to know yourself. What is important to YOU? What do YOU enjoy doing? Who makes YOU your best person? Figuring out these things are much more important to college admissions, college, and life than a grade or two here or there. Truly.

Next year, students will go to med schools from hundreds and hundreds of undergraduate institutions, some tip-top in the rankings and some much farther down. Med school is about HOW you do in college, not WHERE you go.

Things to think about as you start to explore possible colleges,

Is a school affordable? Maybe all are, but be very clear about how much your family will be paying per year. Unless you can pay full sticker price at any school, you probably want to include some in-state publics on your list, or some other definitely affordable options.

Do you want to stay in the same state and/or region (New England, South, Midwest, etc.) where you live? Going farther away works for some students, not for others.

Do you think you would prefer an urban school (NYU, GWU), an urban school with a well-defined campus (Case Western), a suburban school (UCLA), a college town school (Kansas/Carleton), or a rural one (Grinnell)? Would you like a big state flagship (20k-40k undergrads) or a small LAC (2000 undergrads)? Something in between (William and Mary, Rochester, Tufts)? Are research opportunities very important to you? Would you prefer smaller classes and closer interaction with professors?

Thinking about these things can help you narrow down your search. There are thousands of schools, at least hundreds that could probably provide the type of education you are looking for.

Try to make it fun. After all, you might be looking at lots of cool places and learning about different parts of the country. If you can visit, then you can see and explore some of those places. Trust you'll go to some terrific place with great students, faculty, and staff. And making it about finding a couple of those terrific places that best suit YOU. Then I think the process can be more of a journey than a stress.

Good luck!