Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Full-pay at top 10 university vs UT Austin in state

2»

Replies to: Full-pay at top 10 university vs UT Austin in state

• Eeyore123Eeyore123 Registered User Posts: 962 Member
    @carachel2 @happymomof1 Every good Aggie knows that the correct abbreviation for the “school” in Austin is t.u.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,572 Senior Member
  • DolemiteDolemite Registered User Posts: 2,038 Senior Member
    Your interests might be one of the few cases where going to a few specific schools like HYPSM+NYU might be worth it though you'll be fine at UT.

Have your parents done the NPC at Princeton? You might be surprised at the results or maybe not.

Also check out the ORFE major at Princeton: https://orfe.princeton.edu/undergraduate
    it might be exactly what you are looking for and other schools have similar offerings.
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    Is it feasible to get onto Wall Street or one of the major private equity or hedge funds in Greenwich, CT without going to a top 10 school?

Well, it is no longer a requirement for those who becomes CEOs at Fortune-500 companies. In fact, the university that produced the most of these CEOs was UW, and as many went to UT as went to Princeton

https://www.kittlemansearch.com/news-blog/colleges-that-produce-the-most-ceos/
  • ResidentEvilPSResidentEvilPS Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    @MWolf
    That's perfectly good info but what about getting onto Wall Street or private equity or hedge fund as a fresh grad out of school? Or even after a few years after school?
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 1,764 Senior Member
    Check wall street oasis forum for an extensive discussion of target schools.
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    @ResidentEvilPS Fair question. If you were looking at a degree in finance, a top-10 would definitely be worth considering. However, as I wrote elsewhere, even much lower ranked schools than UT Austin are placing their CS students in good positions in top finance companies. Check where UT Austin sends its students for internships, because that is what, ultimately, decides where you'll get a job. UT Austin is fairly high ranked in CS, especially in the fields you're looking at.

BTW, if you're looking at CS in business, as opposed to a business degree, UChicago isn't all that great, nor is Wharton. CS has it's own rankings, as befitting a geek field, and you can check which the best CS schools are for somebody who wants to major in your chosen field.

http://csrankings.org
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    edited January 13
    Wall Street Oasis is interesting & somewhat helpful, but not definitive & often incorrect. (Lots of bs & pettiness.)

OP: If you want to combine AI/CS & finance, then UT-Austin should be equal to or better than all of your listed schools.

Breaking into PE is a bit different than for IB. Many in IB claim to be working their way into PE. I know some from very wealthy families with excellent education who go directly to PE, but I wonder how much is funded by their families.

I have a family member who works with several IBs & PE firms and I think that familiarity with that person & that person's work could enable a move if so desired.
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 4,922 Senior Member
    Look at opportunity cost. If UT is free and the rest are full pay, run the numbers on going to UT and investing the difference of what it would cost to attend one of the others. After a 40 year career, that will be a nice little nest egg, like multiple million dollars nice...$3,700,000ish to be specific. Posters always like to say "you'll be able to pay back the difference if you choose school X." They lose sight of the fact that the money is spent and can't be used for anything else. That $250,000 give or take is gone, invested in your education. If you chose UT, you get the education, sure, MAYBE a slightly lesser education, MAYBE less connections, both are arguable, BUT, you still have $250,000 to do something else. In short, any full pay private will have to make you $3,700,000 MORE than your UT degree just to break even.
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,596 Senior Member
    Can someone please explain how UT is free? From OPs previous posts he is not val, won't get any need based FA based on parents income, UT gives little to no merit money so how is it free???
  • Ballerina016Ballerina016 Registered User Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    I agree with your parents. That is a very difficult decision for every full pay family. I think there’s a very short list of schools and majors worth this kind of investment. And it absolutely not worth it if it involves loans.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,379 Senior Member
    edited January 13
    And not worth it if it involves the study of finance as UT-Austin is commonly ranked among the top 5 programs in the country. Okay, #5, but this is one of the reasons that it is an IB target school.
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 1,764 Senior Member
    The real difficulty at UT is the need to specialize immediately, in either CS or business. They are supposed to have a new cross over program to bridge that gap,but taking courses in the other, non-major can be very hard. An honors program, like BHP or Turing, would help a lot there in both classes and career outcomes. Nearly 2k graduate in business every year. They do not all get their preferred outcome.
  • noreadynoready Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    One way it could be 'free' is if the OP's parents bought into the guaranteed tuition program when he was a tot.

I am unaware of any 'guaranteed' money at UT based on PSAT, get through the hoops to become a finalist and maybe score a small NMS Corp one, but don't know that UT sponsors any. OP may be overestimating the flow of money to come his way.
  • itsgettingreal17itsgettingreal17 Registered User Posts: 3,512 Senior Member
    UT has some full tuition and fees+ scholarships that get awarded very early. That still leaves room and board. Only full rides are 40 Acres and Terry, as I recall.
2»