Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Full-pay at top 10 university vs UT Austin in state

ResidentEvilPSResidentEvilPS Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
Hello All - I'm guaranteed admission at UT Austin as an in state resident. Tuition + Board will almost be fully paid for combined with other scholarship sources. My PSAT score basically guarantees more money as well through National Merit Scholarship.

Given how good already UT Austin is as an effectively free option, would it be worth paying full price elsewhere? My parents believe that unless I get into HYPSM or Wharton (and possibly Columbia or UChicago), it's not worth the sticker price.

I'm interested in quantitative finance or data science/AI/machine learning as a career and would likely major in CS with a Statistics/Applied Math/Machine Learning double major. I'm also open to a minor in accounting/finance.

Is it feasible to get onto Wall Street or one of the major private equity or hedge funds in Greenwich, CT without going to a top 10 school? Would going to college in a more urban area like NYC, Chicago, Boston or Philly be advantageous for getting work experience as a student - either co-op or internship? Concrete examples are always appreciated.

Replies to: Full-pay at top 10 university vs UT Austin in state

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,936 Senior Member
    Note that automatic admit to UT Austin does not mean automatic admit to competitive majors like CS or business.
  • NASA2014NASA2014 Registered User Posts: 2,366 Senior Member
    edited January 10
    What matters the most is the opportunities and a respectful GPA! UT Austin is very good and a top university. Go there and be debt free!
  • ResidentEvilPSResidentEvilPS Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    hhttps://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/college-mobility/stanford-university

On a related note - I found this article that looks at income of students by age 34 at lots of top universities. Look for "Median student income at age 34" toward the bottom. Those numbers across the board seem kinda low. Are these numbers accurate?
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,383 Senior Member
    It is not clear what effect attending graduate/professional school has on these students. MBA/law/medical school.
    Might be more interesting to check back in at age 45, rather than at age 34.
    I agree with your parents, that unless you are admitted to Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Penn-Wharton or Princeton, the University of Texas for free is a better option.
  • HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 1,543 Senior Member
    And if you have a chance to take classes at McCombs, go for UT and wait for grad school for doing Top-10.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,880 Senior Member
    edited January 10
    Where are all of your anticipated scholarships coming from? I know a top 10/700 National Merit finalist (with ACT 34) who got $0.00 from UT Austin. He *does* have some local and regional scholarships that are definitely making UT cheaper, but not 100% free for sure.

@happymomof1 UT Austin is just "U.T."

UTA = University of Texas at Arlington (not correcting in a snarky way, just wanted you to speak collegiate Texan like a local lol!)
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,576 Senior Member
    @carachel2 - Thanks for the correction! :)
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,880 Senior Member
    edited January 11
    Also to the OP---- your PSAT does *not* guarantee you "more money" for UT Austin. Other than perhaps the what...$2,000 from NMS? That's not much. UT Austin will not care one second about your PSAT score even if you are a finalist. It might be a feather in your cap for admission, but beyond that and as far as money is concerned, you will get no $$ for your PSAT.
  • coolguy40coolguy40 Registered User Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    For computers or technology, UT is already a top program, and Austin is one of the hottest tech hubs in the country. If you have an opportunity to go there debt free, you would be far better off going to UT-Austin.
  • ResidentEvilPSResidentEvilPS Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    How good is Wall St recruiting from UT Austin? Most reports on the internet mention that it's almost a requirement to come from the Ivies, Stanford, MIT, Chicago, Duke, etc?
    edited January 11
    University of Texas-Austin is a target school. Always best to check with UT placement/careers office regarding specific industries & employers interviewing on campus.
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 1,764 Senior Member
    Well, it is more of a semi-target. More oriented towards the market in Houston than NYC of SF
  • jzducoljzducol Registered User Posts: 581 Member
    Has the OP already had admission offers from UT Austin CS and HYPSM on hand trying to decide or this is just a hypothetical question? If its the latter then I don't think getting into a HYPSM, Wharton/Chicago/Columbia can be assumed. Why not trying to get admitted first before worrying about narrowing down options.