Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are we missing any schools that we should be lookig at?

Replies to: Are we missing any schools that we should be lookig at?

• MomminitMomminit Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I’ll add Furman to her research list!

@momofsenior1 Yes, she will definitely apply to at least 1 of IU/Purdue/Ball State for their honors colleges. She has friends at all of them and I know she would do just fine at any one. I really think she would thrive at a LAC, but those are all good schools that would serve her well if the finances or fit don’t work out at her smaller colleges.
  • momrathmomrath Registered User Posts: 5,913 Senior Member
    @momofsenior1 Have you run the NPCs for potential LACs? Both Williams and Wesleyan sound like good choices for your daughter: excellent academics plus vibrant arts, notably music and theater. They both offer generous financial aid but it's need-based only.

I don't know about Wesleyan, but Williams offers terrific climbing venues, both rock wall and real mountains, plus extensive music performance opportunities, even for non-majors.
    https://woc.williams.edu/equipment-and-facilities/climbing-wall
    https://music.williams.edu/category/ensembles/
  • Eeyore123Eeyore123 Registered User Posts: 962 Member
    One that is sort of on the way to Knox/Grinnell is Beloit. I think your hard part is going to be the price point. To get to the 20-25k range is going to require full nearly tuition. We have a very similar stats kid and I haven't really found any Midwestern LAC's that would have a price point below $30k with merit only.
  • JBSeattleJBSeattle Registered User Posts: 748 Member
    Two possibilities:
    1.) Occidental meets 100% of but not big on merit. It is in the greater LA area, roughly 2000 total students, very social justicey and great school. Challenging academically as well.
    2.) My D is considering Ohio Wesleyan. Your D would auto qualify for a $30k per year scholarship putting COA at about $25k plus could get more (assuming merit more issue than financial aid).
  • Andrew2199Andrew2199 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    @Momminit Given your D20's reaction to Wooster, I'd recommend checking out Beloit. We visited with S20 in October. They have a similar vibe and good merit aid. Not sure about a climbing wall.

Grinnell sounds perfect for her. Our S17 attends and it's been great. One of the best schools to offer strong merit aid. Sounds like you already have a visit planned. There is a climbing wall on campus. Ask to see it as it is not on the standard tour. It's in the building that houses the pool (don't forget to look at the pool while in that building...it's incredible and also not on the standard tour).
  • circuitridercircuitrider Registered User Posts: 3,068 Senior Member
    [/I don't know about Wesleyan, but Williams offers terrific climbing venues, both rock wall and real mountains, plus extensive music performance opportunities, even for non-majors.quote]

The Portland quarries are right across the river from Wesleyan:
    https://brownstonepark.com/
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 Registered User Posts: 2,041 Senior Member
    Eckerd College in St Petersburg has a nice merit aid and financial aid package. Very much geared to social justice, lots of spring break service trips, study abroad during semester, winter term and spring into summer classes. Have a resident diplomat, brand new visual arts building, a nice theater dept with a local theater company on site as well, student improv, environmental film festival, reflective service learning, honors college, freshman research projects, senior capstone project, Phi Beta Kappa, BA or BS in psych, internships. Very strong mentorship program, a collaborative learning environment. There is indoor rock climbing about 10 to 15 min away in downtown St. Pete and ropes and zip lining courses about 30 min away. Eckerd is a CTCL school/
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    Macalester?
    Carleton?

You daughter is competitive for Carleton, and Macalster would almost be in the Safety School range

My kid is also looking at Neuroscience, and was looking at an arts minor (though is more interested in dance or creative writing nowadays) and both were on her list. If your kid is a potential National Merit Scholar (which seems very possible, based on her SSI), Macalaster does have National merit Scholarship funding.
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 3,104 Senior Member
    edited January 12
    @Momminit Your D sounds quite a bit like my D17 in terms of interests and stats. We were also on the midwestern merit hunt. As others have mentioned, merit at midwestern LACs might get you to 30-40K COA; 25K will be tough. Here's a summary of our research from two years ago.

St Olaf and Wooster - merit maxed out at half COA; these days, that would be low 30s as your cost

Oberlin, where my kid enrolled, ticks all the academic boxes for your daughter but COA assuming maximum merit is likely to be 40K+

Macalester and Dickinson topped at 20K merit 2 years ago; may be higher now. She got better offers elsewhere. Mac's National Merit award is 2K/year.

You might get to your budget target at Ohio Wesleyan, Knox, Earlham, Beloit, Lawrence, Ursinus, or Susquehanna.

Mount Holyoke has a few full tuition awards as does Denison and, I believe, Muhlenberg, Centre, Hendrix, and maybe Rhodes.

Grinnell used to have some full tuition awards but I read somewhere on CC that they had been discontinued. Check their site.

Case Western and Wash U both have some full tuition awards by separate application - highly competitive but your daughter's stats are sufficient to toss her hat in the ring. Case has institutional affiliations with both Cleveland Music and Art Institutes. It also offers merit awards without separate app up to the low 30s. Demonstrated interest is important there.

Good luck!

• prezbuckyprezbucky Registered User Posts: 4,299 Senior Member
    I'll second Lawrence U in Appleton, WI (half an hour from Green Bay) as a very good low match/safety if the finances work. They are quite good for a LAC in the sciences -- they offer a Biochem major and Cog Sci minor -- and they are great in music.

• MomminitMomminit Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Some great suggestions and feedback here. Unfortunately Beloit and Ursinus are way too small. Grinnell was as small as she was willing to go at 1800, and only because it seems to be a great fit in every other way.

@Andrew2199, she already has plans to get to Grinnell a day early so that she can see and hopefully get to climb on their wall :-) This is a fairly new hobby for her but she has really taken to it for both exercise and relaxation.

We'll have a better idea of exact budget once we do taxes and this year's finances. We might be able to stretch to $30K but it would be tough. And with 2 more kids coming behind her we need to be careful about overextending ourselves.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,763 Senior Member
    @mwolf Carleton isn’t going to get down to $25K given their situation.

Does the $25K include her taking her federal loans? If not, you could stretch to $30K. I agree that Lawrence might give her enough merit to get to $25K.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,763 Senior Member
    Also, my D was NMF, and her Mac merit did not get near $25K COA. Cost is the real issue here.
  • sevmomsevmom Registered User Posts: 8,050 Senior Member
    Yes, cost is the big issue here, especially with 2 younger siblings involved. Please don't over promise to your oldest at the possible expense of your youngest two. If you are having to look that closely at your budget, you don't want to get in a bind every year with looking at finances and being worried about increased cost. It's not uncommon for parents to set a budget with the first , up to instate cost for instance. Truly wealthy parents obviously have more leeway. Figure out a number you can live with and present it to your child. Then, you can go from there- if they want a more expensive school, they might need to take out loans or look for merit. Ideally, top budget is all settled before applications go out.
  • sevmomsevmom Registered User Posts: 8,050 Senior Member
    Yes, cost is the big issue here, especially with 2 younger siblings involved. Please don't over promise to your oldest at the possible expense of your youngest two. If you are having to look that closely at your budget, you don't want to get in a bind every year with looking at finances and being worried about increased cost. It's not uncommon for parents to set a budget with the first , up to instate cost for instance. Truly wealthy parents obviously have more leeway. Figure out a number you can live with and present it to your child. Then, you can go from there- if they want a more expensive school, they might need to take out loans or look for merit. Ideally, top budget is all settled before applications go out.