Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I don't like my colleges anymore

Replies to: I don't like my colleges anymore

• SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,342 Senior Member
    edited February 3
    "Hey! I have a 1250 SAT and 3.65 GPA"

These are your stats? What reaches do you think you missed?
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,329 Senior Member
    How much financial aid do you need? If it is a lot, then that might mean you have no choice but to take a gap year and apply to places that are going to be affordable. If it is just some, then you need to bear in mind that often freshmen get better aid packages than transfers. If your parents are prepared to be full pay wherever you go, then you have a lot more options.

Have you specifically discussed a gap year with your parents? If so, what is their precise argument against a gap year?
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 6,909 Senior Member
    edited February 3
    I understand what you are saying, but at the same time sulking won’t fix the problem. Once all of your decisions are in you can make a decision....either choose one ( you may be surprised and actually love it) or take a gap year and reapply. Hopefully you will get accepted (and can afford) BU.

FYI you will find smart and driven students at all of these schools, including Temple...did you make honors? You can challenge yourself at every school on your list.

You are asking if big names matter, but you are comparing schools whose applicants will overlap.You are comparing BU with schools such as Temple, Syracuse, Buffalo, etc. Your success in college will depend on you, and not on whether BU or Temple is written on the diploma. It will be up to you to take advantage of what your school offers, build a resume etc.

My thought is that you are equating success with attending BU over and above Syracuse, UConn etc....but that’s not how life works.

• CalinAmryCalinAmry Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    Which schools are reaches for me? I know Stony Brook and BU are. I already got into Stony Brook.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 4,622 Senior Member
    edited February 3
    I think they are saying is that some of the schools you were accepted into are really good already.
    Well so far I have been accepted into all my safeties, plus Stony Brook and UMass. Well, I hope so, but I really don't want to make a bad decision because this would be the second time transferring if I don't like it. And I could pay for any of my schools and I could pay for BU but it's not something I am super excited about. But I think it'll be worth it if I get in.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 4,622 Senior Member
    edited February 3
    You’ve been accepted at University of Massachusetts/Amherst ?

If so you have to go visit for a weekend or some classes. It’s an awesome place to go school and really strong in many fields.

Plus, the best food in the country. Building the new student union opening next fall with a theme like a city walk with food and study options. It’s going to be great.

Sports are good and currently the top ranked men’s hockey team in the country. Could very well win the frozen four. The students are having a blast with the team.

Top 30 public and number 70 in usnwr. It’s really really good. If you are into cs or ai research it’s a top 5 school.
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 6,909 Senior Member
    Are you saying that you are applying as a transfer student? Where are you now? I am confused.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 15,495 Senior Member
    With your stats you have a chance at BU CGS only if you chose that option.
    Hi, TomSrOfBoston, I applied Undecided to College of Arts and Sciences. Still think I have a chance?
    edited February 3
    Unfortunately, I also clicked "no" to that option... I am really annoyed at myself right now, I should have read more carefully. I am going to call admissions now and ask to fix this.
    @twogirls Hi, I am a senior in high school, I am not happy anymore with the colleges that I applied to and I'm trying to get advice. I already have the thought of transferring because I don't know if I'd like any of my colleges.
    Hi, thanks for the input, this is interesting information to me and I want to consider it. As of now if I don't get into BU, I am heavily considering UMass.
    @collegemom9 hi, what schools on my list look like reaches?