Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I don't like my colleges anymore

Replies to: I don't like my colleges anymore

• Happy4uHappy4u Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    @CalinAmry - I think it's great you want to be challenged! One consideration for you though - you will be competing with your future classmates for internships, research opportunities, etc... Graduate schools and future employers will care about your performance in college, so it isn't simply about "getting in", it's more about shining while you are there. Every college will have superstars the "could" have gotten into "better" schools, but chose Temple/UMass/UConn/SUNY for financial or proximity reasons.
  • mamag2855mamag2855 Registered User Posts: 778 Member
    @CalinAmry @twogirls and other posters on this thread have been trying to get you look beyond the emotions, opinions, and biases of others (as well as your own), and look at data and details to help inform your decision about which college to attend.

While I understand that you consider Temple a safety, and it is probably off your list due to cost (a sensible reason), it can serve as a good illustration for you. Some data from Temple's 2017 common data set/student profile:

Average HS GPA 2017 freshman students: 3.54
    Average SAT 2017 freshman students: 1220 (25%ile is 1130, 75%ile is 1310)
    55% of 2017 freshman students were in the top 25% of their HS graduating class.

There were 5171 incoming Temple freshman in 2017, roughly half with higher stats than you. ALL of the colleges on your list will have lots of smart students to help you have a challenging academic experience.

If you want to dig deeper and look at similar data for the colleges on your list, search for "student profile" and "common data set" on the college websites.
  • MeddyMeddy Registered User Posts: 481 Member
    Amherst is great. I mean, with the right social group, you can have fun just about anywhere. You can also be lonely in a big city.
    I can only speak as an Amherst College mom and the hubsy and I are always impressed at the activities available to D18. I think back and when we first started, D18 wanted a bigger city and larger school. The Five College Consortium took care of the first issue, an overnight visit took care of the other. You just never know, until YOU know, not what your friends or someone else knows. Best wishes to you. You have a great list of schools there.
  • LM3232LM3232 Registered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    What about colleges in the DC area? American University and George Washington University could be a nice fit. I also agree with many before, prestige is in the eye of the beholder and all of the schools mentioned hold well.
  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 9,837 Senior Member
    Wishing you a good experience at the University at Buffalo, @CalinAmry.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,617 Senior Member
    How was it @CalinAmry ?
  • CalinAmryCalinAmry Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    UB is also the cheapest college on my list :D
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,617 Senior Member
    That's great! I have two happy family members there.