Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I don't like my colleges anymore

CalinAmryCalinAmry Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
I am really annoyed at the moment because I finished all my applications back in November, I was in such a rush to finish everything that I didn't do great research... and now that I've visited some of my top choices, I realize I don't even like the colleges in my top five... anyone else feeling this way? I am already thinking of transferring. Right now, my biggest hope is getting into Boston University but my chances are slim. I just wish I applied to more reaches with more diversity and more city areas. I only have two colleges in cities but I need to be in a city, I really didn't think about it.

Replies to: I don't like my colleges anymore

• CalinAmryCalinAmry Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    @CaMom13 I actually applied to Temple and got accepted but I didn't know that was a city school. It's not high up my list because it was a bit of a safety for me and I wanted something harder to get into.
  • CaMom13CaMom13 Registered User Posts: 996 Member
    edited February 3
    Did you get admitted into the Honors College? We attended their admitted students day and we were totally wow'd by the program. Temple is very much a city school! The immediately surrounding area is N. Philly which is mostly poor and not super interesting but it's a 2 stop subway ride to the center of Philly, which is a GREAT city with great music/theatre/food and nightlife scenes.
    I know everyone always wants to most difficult schools they can get into and there's some good reason for that but honestly - you can challenge yourself at a school like Temple or you can do the bare minimum at UCB. College is what you make of it.

What other schools did you apply to? Maybe more of them are in a city environment than you think.
    I applied to UMass, UConn, Syracuse, BU, Stony Brook, Penn State, Suny at Buffalo, plus more, but these are the only ones I somewhat like. I don't have any interest in going to Temple, even in the honors program. I just worry about prestige a lot.
    I have mixed feelings about that @lostaccount - if the desire is to be with students who are as smart and as motivated and well-prepared as you are, then I think that's a valid goal. If it's just bragging rights then yes, it's a mistake.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 2,339 Senior Member
    edited February 3
    Just take some pressure off yourself. Second guessing is human nature. Take some time to reflect on what you want. And here’s some really good news.

After April admissions decisions the national association of college admissions counselors compiles a list, updated almost daily. Guess what the list is?

Tremendous and varied schools that for some reason miscalculated their enrollment and briefly reopen to applications. These are some really great schools.

You have to pay a deposit somewhere as a back up. But only the deposit is lost if you change your mind.

And lastly, you can always take a gap year. Do something meaningful, retake the sat or act if you like. And reapply for next year with a better perspective.

However, I am being really honest here. I think that within your current schools you already have a winner. One day of visiting doesn’t give you any real data. Just a first impression.
  • merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 9,117 Senior Member
    if the desire is to be with students who are as smart and as motivated and well-prepared as you are, then I think that's a valid goal.

Well, yes, but this differs from factors that may contribute to name recognition, if not necessarily prestige, such as graduate school rankings, prominent athletic teams, sheer size and perhaps relatively ephemeral trends.
  • newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 Registered User Posts: 2,154 Senior Member
    edited February 3
    Temple is a great school. It’s definitely more “well-known” than Stony Brook. I went to La Salle University, which is a private school in Olney (Uptown Philly). Now THAT was a bad area.

Temple is on Broad Street (Philly’s Main Street). It has a bunch of restaurants & even a movie theater. While the surrounding area isn’t great, it doesn’t have feel fenced off from a bad area the way La Salle does. You can easily avoid it, while La Salle requires walking to a sketchy part of Broad Street to acess the subway.
    I honestly can't take a gap year because my parents won't let me. But if I were to, I would go to Spain because I am trying to be fluent in Spanish. Do you guys think big names matter? I just know they have an advantage. I want to go to a big city school that's not NYC (that's where I live) with big diversity and has a decent name. But most of these schools are super isolated.