Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NEED HELP choosing a college for my international year abroad!

Replies to: NEED HELP choosing a college for my international year abroad!

• happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,329 Senior Member
    Will you be able to travel home at winter break, or will you want to spend that time travelling in the US/Canada? That might affect your choice of institution. Check the locations on a map. What are they near? Look at their websites. Are there directions for getting to campus? Can you get there by bus or rail from a regional airport? Are there bus/rail connections to anywhere else that you'd like to visit while you are here?

Many of these places have a religious affiliation. Does that matter to you?

Do you care how strong the business program is, or does what you classes you actually take not matter much to you?
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,587 Senior Member
    IMO with a list of largely unknown schools (and this site knows a lot of schools, so that’s saying something) you may as well choose on location, so I’d agree that DC is probably one of the best options in that list.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 7,322 Senior Member
    @scorpion1129: Since almost all of these 58 schools are relatively unknown, it may be more helpful if you ask posters to recommend resources where you can research these schools.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,198 Forum Champion
    Another vote for Catholic U in DC.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Super Moderator Posts: 10,108 Super Moderator
    edited February 10
    There must at least be a few decent ones lol?
    From a purely academic perspective, I agree with @aquapt -- Centre stands out as the best option on your list. It's a very solid school that gets less attention than it deserves due to its Kentucky location.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,655 Senior Member
    edited February 10
    Can you get your hands on the Fiske Guide? That usually does a good job summarizing the feel of many campuses.
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us Registered User Posts: 1,168 Senior Member
    I'm familiar with a couple of these that are in the midwest US. I know kids and family who have attended some of these colleges, and are doing well in life; so i'm not as concerned about the education you'd receive; rather than the experiences. The Midwest is HUGE, can be sparsely populated and often very remote - small towns in the middle of prairies and hours away from big towns with very few transportation options. (eg: Hastings & Dakota Wesleyan)

Many of these colleges in small towns might offer some parties, but to go out to bars you need to be 21. . . . If you're not 21 i'd stay away from the super small schools.

some of these colleges are also christian colleges, and you won't find many parties on campus or around campus. Like Whitworth in Spokane. Pretty Pretty location, but not a party school. Nebraska Wesleyan is in Lincoln, NE which is a pretty fun college town as UNL is there.

I like living in the midwest. But if it were me looking to attend these schools from the UK, I'd focus the location on the east coast, where there's good transportation, lots of history to see and lots of people and action.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,503 Senior Member
    Another vote for Catholic. Being in Washington DC would be a great location for study abroad, easy to get to, and easy to travel from to see other parts of the US.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 12,801 Senior Member
    edited February 10
    The US is huge and it has more than 2,000 colleges and universities, many of them located in the middle of nowhere. They're not schools our kids would consider, and I certainly wouldn't recommend many of them. Pick an exciting location and a school big enough to attract many different kinds of kids. Personally, I think this is a no-brainer: Catholic University will offer you the most interesting experience. Plus, it's located in a part of the country that has public transportation, so you can travel & explore a vaibrant part of the US. That can't be said about many of the schools on your list.
  • retiredfarmerretiredfarmer Registered User Posts: 991 Member
    edited February 10
    Clarke University is not Clark University. It sounds like "privatebanker" may have mixed the two by his "near Boston" description.

Catholic University sounds like a great idea for reasons "privatbanker" has listed.
  • newjerseygirl98newjerseygirl98 Registered User Posts: 2,159 Senior Member
    Another vote for Catholic U. That was actually my first choice school, but the financial aid was terrible.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,280 Senior Member
    Are you Catholic? Are you okay going to an officially Vatican endorsed college where everything has to be ok with the Vatican and thus attracts a very specific group of American students? If so, then it's the best location with decent academics. (Food isn't great but you have lots of options nearby).

Key questions will be
    1° Do you want Catholic colleges, Protestant Mainstream colleges, or Protestant Evangelical colleges?
    (Note that Evangelical colleges would be considered "dry" and thus would have few parties since drinking alcohol could be bounds for expulsion. In addition, there'll be mandatory chapel/religion class).
    2° Would you rather attend a secular university?

I actually know most of those :p but it's true they're all very small. Are there any others you might have left off?

For the full-on American college experience with excellent academics, Centre College has what you want - parties and Greek Life, excellence with international students, small classes with engaged students. It'd be totally different from what you know. You'll have to plan your travels. The weather is better than most other universities. Secular.

Coe is a good college in a nice town, lots of things to do on location, good academics. Non religious.

Virginia Wesleyan has an excellent coastal location (Virginia Beach). However it is very small, not sure it'd suit your academic needs.
    Nebraska Wesleyan is in a big city but that big city is far away from most places visitors want to see.

• privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 4,622 Senior Member
    edited February 10
    Yes. I was thinking Clark. Not Clarke. Thanks for clearing this up. @retiredfarmer

But Clarke might be nice too.
  • scorpion1129scorpion1129 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Thanks everyone. Catholic U does look really good but although I don't care, most of my family are protestant so i dont know if that will work out. Centre college seems to get a lot of mentions so I might go for that. Ill check out coe, u of saint thomas and a few others mentioned.