Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I got in NYU Stern and UCB sociology, which one should I go?

XDHolypressureXDHolypressure Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
I am interested in both majors. Which school should I go to?

Replies to: I got in NYU Stern and UCB sociology, which one should I go?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,616 Senior Member
    Cost and debt at each?

Post graduation goals?
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,882 Senior Member
    Without more information, NYU Stern for finance as it should yield much better job prospects.
  • prezbuckyprezbucky Registered User Posts: 4,313 Senior Member
    - NYC vs. the Bay Area
    - Studying populations (and probably taking longer to make money... but likely under less stress...) vs. studying business-related disciplines (and probably better $$, but more hectic types of jobs).
    - Big public school with a defined campus vs. a city school with very little (if any) actual campus
    - Major D1 athletics vs. essentially no varsity athletics opportunities as a fan

These are some of the differentiating fit variables you can use to help make the decision. Both are very good schools.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,582 Senior Member
    What's your parents' budget?
    Calculate
    (Tuition, fees, room, board) - (granted, scholarships) =
    (Do not deduct any loans)
    Those two points (budget and cost) will inform people's response.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 2,323 Senior Member
    For business school very straightforwardly it’s stern if the economics work for you. But cal is great for the rest.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 2,869 Senior Member
    edited February 11
    I assume as you are full pay at either, that Stern seems an obvious choice if you have the academic chops (you had an ACT of 32, is that right?). What is your actual planned major at Stern? Did you ED at NYU?
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 829 Member
    edited February 11
    Oh @Sybylla has an excellent point, the only NYU decisions released so far are ED1. And the date for accepting or declining was 3 January...
    Are Cal decisions out? I haven’t heard of any and we are fairly local...
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,616 Senior Member
    For UCB, candidates for Regents scholarships may know early that they are admitted.

Of course, if the OP was admitted ED to NYU, s/he is committed to attend, unless the financial aspect does not work (but needed to be determined shortly after receiving the admission and FA offer).
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,713 Senior Member
    http://www.finaid.org/calculators/awardletter.phtml

Run the numbers.

If both are equally affordable, fip a coin. If one isn't affordable, but the other is, well then you know the answer. If neither is truly affordable, then drop them both and move on.

Not sure what "affordable" is? Any place that would mean you end up with more than the standard federal student loans worth of debt is not affordable.
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 829 Member
    edited February 11
    @ucbalumnus , thanks.
    OP would have had to commit to NYU by 3 Jan if offered under ED1. (ED2 decisions are not released yet but of course would also require a fairly speedy commitment or denial, likely around beginning of March which is apparently before regular Cal decisions are due.)

So I’m guessing this post is actually a hypothetical for the RD round rather than an actual.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,349 Forum Champion
    edited February 11
    -Did you get into both schools (if not it is purely hypothetical at this point)?

--Have you already committed to attend one of the schools through an ED program -- for example if you got into NYU ED and it is affordable you have committed to attend.

--Are both schools considered affordable for your family (ex. no big debt, no hardship)? If only one is comfortably affordable I expect you have your answer.

--Did you look carefully through the curriculum at the schools for these two very different majors and have any preference? It doesn't seem like the best idea to ask people who never met you what you should major in.

--Do you have a geographic preference?
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 2,869 Senior Member
    You would have to think it is hypothetical if OPs stats are as given.
  • Sharon PSharon P Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    NYU Sterm is solid. I did half my undergrad degree there. Job prospects are great. I was employed within two weeks after graduation and that was during a recession.