Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

WSJ / THE List of the Top 100 US Colleges by Spending on Instruction & Student Services

2»

Replies to: WSJ / THE List of the Top 100 US Colleges by Spending on Instruction & Student Services

• YnotgoYnotgo Registered User Posts: 3,935 Senior Member
    edited February 12
    Oh, and since @Publisher's thread is about spending resources per student, yes there do seem to be plenty of resources at Caltech.

He and some undergrad friends qualified a team for the finals of a national cybersecurity CTF. Since Caltech doesn't really have a professor in that field, when Caltech heard about the team's success, they were offered significant funds (5 digits) and space to start something that was a cross between a lab and a club. I don't know if the rest took them up on that. (While my son is good at cryptography, it's not the field he wants to pursue.)
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 7,322 Senior Member
    To be clear: This thread is about the Top 100 colleges & universities out of one (1,000) thousand colleges & universities rated and ranked by the Wall Street Journal & by the Times Higher Education. If your school is listed among the top 100, then you are among the top ten (10%) percent of all colleges & universities in the ranking.
  • 1NJParent1NJParent Registered User Posts: 952 Member
    What they directly said was that Caltech was a great graduate school, but they would not recommend the undergraduate program. Period.
    This is erroneous. Caltech is not for everyone, whether as a graduate or undergraduate. It's probably the most rigorous and demanding school academically in this country. It has less than 1000 undergraduates in total (or less than 250 each new class). It's not a good fit for most students as they won't be as academically prepared. That's also why Caltech uses somewhat different admission criteria (or at least weighs the criteria differently) than its peers. But despite its best efforts, some of its students will be in the bottom quartile by definition and will struggle, as @Ynotgo pointed out. However, that's not unique to Caltech. Students in the bottom quartile in any school will struggle. And it's never fun to be in the bottom quartile.
  • eyemgheyemgh Registered User Posts: 5,559 Senior Member
    My point really is that Caltech is an ideal fit for a very unique type of person. Rankings don't in any way parse that out. I pick on Caltech, but it is really just an example of how rankings miss the point. If a student or parent focusses on just the "i want to go to the best" they will miss the fact that the school in question is really the best for a very very small number of personalities. That is really my point, that rankings are specious because they use methodologies that probably aren't germane to most who are trying to use them. We are though getting far afield from the original point. For that, my apologies.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 7,322 Senior Member
    edited February 12
    @eyemgh: While that is clearly on your mind, I believe that most posters understand that schools need to be a fit--especially Caltech, Harvey Mudd, MIT, service academies & any school with a narrow focus.

There are colleges & universities with a wide focus academically as well as with respect to campus culture. Some examples are Northwestern, Penn, Cornell.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,182 Senior Member
    Seems like a school like Arizona State University would have a wider focus academically and socially than Cornell, Northwestern, or Penn.