Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Early decision II question

n1vanovn1vanov Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
If I was accepted to my early decision II choice. Legally, am I allowed to receive a response from my regular decision dream college out of curiosity; will there be any repercussions?

I am satisfied with the college I was accepted to, but since one of my RDs was always a dream school I would simply like to find out the outcome. If I later apply to this college (the RD) for MBA, will my late application withdrawal now have a negative impact on my future MBA application? Please help I really want to find out.

Replies to: Early decision II question

• n1vanovn1vanov Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I already paid the deposit and already signed the agreement and i am in the fb group. I am curious because I spent 2 weeks writing and prepping my application for this uni and I just want to see their response to my hard work. I already said that in any case I will go to College X and i just want to see if all the hard work for College Y paid off. No adulting needed, I know my responsibilities and I am already committed to that college. Thank you.
  • collegemom9collegemom9 Registered User Posts: 364 Member
    No. You are not allowed to wait to see if you got into the RD school. You know this because it was in the contract you signed. You say that you know your responsibilities but it doesn't seem as though you do. If you signed the commitment then all other apps have to be pulled.
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 829 Member
    The ED offer my daughter accepted included a reminder that she was expected to withdraw all other applications immediately. I’m sure yours had that too, certainly in the original agreement even if they didn’t remind you. You say you “know your responsibilities” - so fulfil them.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 4,139 Senior Member
    You are obligated to withdraw all your other applications for all the above mentioned reasons.
  • hopefulmom123hopefulmom123 Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    Why didn't you do the ED at your dream school?
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,508 Senior Member
    edited February 12
    Apparently "knowing your responsibilities" somehow doesn't translate to "honoring them"??

That's what was meant by "adulting" in the post above.... Honoring your responsibilities. That means withdrawing all other applications and letting your curiosity going unsatisfied, as per the rules when you applied ED.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 2,323 Senior Member
    edited February 12
    Yes - to above advice.

No - to whether Wharton or Harvard will care or know you withdrew your application when applying to b school. They couldn’t be bothered.

And good luck at school a. Tell everyone you withdrew your Harvard application just attend there and have a laugh.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    As others have said, withdraw the application. It isn't about you anymore. You do not want to be posting here that you got into Dream School B and want to wiggle out of your commitment to A (hint: it won't go over well). You do not want a slow withdrawal from B to affect your high school's reputation with both schools, nor do you want A to somehow find out you didn't immediately withdraw from B or that will be grounds to rescind your acceptance. Also, do the right thing, save the AOs at B some work, and free up a space for another applicant.
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 829 Member
    If “dream college” discovers a non-withdrawn application when the student has already accepted ED elsewhere, that could have negative implications, no?

OP - you are aware that certain schools share ED acceptance info, right? There’s a lawsuit going on about it, but for now afaik it still happens.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,351 Forum Champion
    edited February 12
    Once you get into your ED school (same is true for ED1 or ED2) and know it is affordable you must withdraw your applications in writing to all other colleges. This is an excerpt of the ED agreement which I hope you read carefully before you signed.

"If you are accepted under an Early Decision plan, you must promptly withdraw the applications submitted to other colleges and universities and make no additional applications to any other university in any country. If you are an Early Decision candidate and are seeking financial aid, you need not withdraw other applications until you have received notification about financial aid from the admitting Early Decision institution."

• privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 2,323 Senior Member
    Yes it is bad to continue the admissions process with an affordable ED decision. It’s a contract. And schools do share info at the ug level. Ed school and dream school are most likely super selective. They communicate to avoid this situation.

More importantly it’s the right thing to do. Good lord. Show your positive character the ED school believes you to be.