Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What kind of school can I get into?

2»

Replies to: What kind of school can I get into?

• DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 4,897 Senior Member
    @justconfused5 Given your budget, you are going to want to pay attention to the cost of university, and try to minimize debt as much as you reasonably can. Fortunately you do have very good in-state options in New Jersey.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,186 Senior Member
    edited March 7
    Call the polish consulate and ask whether they have exams or certificates to demonstrate your language skills.
    Latin 2 is not sufficient for a selective university. You need to reach level 3 at a bare minimum.
  • momprof9904momprof9904 Registered User Posts: 234 Junior Member
    As a student, you can only borrow about $5500 per year under your name. Loans for larger amounts are usually cosigned by parents or parents take out loans like Parent Plus.
    When determining financial aid, there is a portion called EFC, expected family contribution. Its calculated by a federal formula, and can come as a shock to many families.

You said *maybe * your family can contribute 10k per year. Did they ensure this or are you guessing?
    Since you're interested in afjrotc, have you considered the service academies or universities that offer rotc scholarships?
    Here on CC, parents, including myself, usually give conservative financial advice, which means no large loans.

To get a good sense of merit scholarships you may be eligible for, you would need to wait until at least until mid junior year to see how your GPA turns out and what your test scores are. Also heed the advice about taking 4 years of foreign language.
  • mikemacmikemac Registered User Posts: 10,191 Senior Member
    There are literally thousands of colleges you can get into, the real question is what kind of college do you want to attend? You didn't write anything about what you want in college.

Start by reading a book about college admissions such as "Admission Matters" that will discuss fit. Next year visit some colleges of various types in your area to get more of a sense what they are like (a large public, a college in an urban area, in a small town, etc). Based on your preferences and working with your GC you can then make a list of reaches, matches, and of course a safety.
  • momtogkcmomtogkc Registered User Posts: 565 Member
    You have some great advice on here. I say to not try to get too specific yet, just start thinking about things like location, size and price. I tried to start thinking about specific schools with my D19 before she took her standardized tests and before she had done any research on her own and it ended up being kind of useless. We could not start an actual list until she had her SAT/ACT scores. Your grades look great and you are going to have a lot of options for sure!
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 2,069 Senior Member
    You might qualify for a Pell Grant, which can be up to around $6000 per year (that you don't have to pay back) from the federal government. https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loans/student-loans/pell-grants/

If you have to pay for any books or tuition out of your own pocket, the first few thousand dollars you pay towards books and tuition can be refunded via IRS form 8863.

A lot of large public universities (especially in the South & Midwest) give scholarships based on gpa & ACT or SAT. The biggest variable that determines how much these scholarships will give you is your SAT or ACT score. They typically count your best score from one sitting. So you can take each test multiple times & they will only count the best score you achieve.

Be aware that you might be able to lower the number of college courses you will have to take to get a bachelor's degree (& therefore lower costs) by scoring well on AP exams and/or taking college classes whole in high school, and applying those credits towards your degree.

Most colleges make it easy to get part-time jobs while u are studying. After your first year, it might also be possible to significantly lower your housing costs by becoming a resident assistant (R.A.) in a dorm. They provide leadership in dorms in exchange for lowered costs or other compensation.
  • TessamomTessamom Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    A great school to check out is university of Alabama. Great merit aid for OOS even with a GPA as low as 3.5, but high test scores. https://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out-of-state.php
    For example:
    Presidential
    A student with a 32-36 ACT or 1420-1600 SAT score and at least a 3.5 GPA will be selected as a Presidential Scholar and will receive $104,000 over four years ($26,000 per year). Students graduating with remaining scholarship semester(s) may use these monies toward graduate school and/or law school study at UA.
  • mathhappymathhappy Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    As far as certifying your Polish knowledge, talk to your high school to see if they'd be willing to arrange for you to be tested for the New Jersey Seal of Biliteracy (https://www.state.nj.us/education/aps/cccs/wl/biliteracy/over.htm). For Polish, qualifying tests are the STAMP or both the WPT AND OPI. Frankly, I have no idea whether colleges would accept the seal as proof of sufficient mastery of the language---some of the cutoffs seem to be a little low---but it's a place to start. Regardless, I would highly recommend continuing with Latin in senior year, since that will give you the most options.
2»