Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MSU vs Umich?

2»

Replies to: MSU vs Umich?

• priyarazpriyaraz Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    @aquapt I think you bring up some good points. However, I do plan to take a gap year between undergrad and med school to doctor shadow, volunteer, and work. Msu is changing to a flat rate tuition starting next year, so I’d like to graduate in as few semesters as possible. Then again, as you say, there are other factors that would make delaying graduation worthwhile.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,769 Senior Member

Pre-med classes will be more difficult at Michigan, you will have to compete with pre-meds, science majors, and engineers. If you are a top student and have a personality that thrives on the toughest challenges, choose Michigan. If you want to maximize your change to do well and stand out, you will find that a bit easier at MSU. If you are a star at MSU you could have a solid shot at UMich for medical school.

However, I would caution you that the way to stand out at MSU is to approach everything like you are fighting for your academic life at Michigan. MSU students aren't as strong on average, but focus and effort can offset the start point advantage if you don't give a full effort.

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,062 Senior Member
    Don't try to graduate quickly - instead, use your scholarship to take as many advanced science classes as possible, get lab/research experience * that results in a publication*, and try to go beyond premed basics (ie., take philosophy, bioethics, etc.) Study abroad for a semester, even if it's unrelated to medicine it'll open your mind in ways you can't imagine right now, will make you more adaptable, and will help you empathize with people who come from minority or maginalized communities in the US. To have an idea of what to do and maximize your time there, look up AFrenchie36 and his tumbler.
    You simply can't rush to med school. You need to take your time and be meticulous. MSU allows you to bypass the early classes, meaning you'd be able to take more advanced classes (and, hopefully, do well in them).
    As for UMich v. MSU:
    You're really comparing MSU Honors to UMich "regular". I would take MSU Honors since it's a surer path to med school and the Honors college is excellent, with topnotch peers, facilities, opportunities. Then again, if you already took honors courses at MSU as a HS student, and have a 3.7+ GPA, you may want the challenge of comparing yourself to UMich students - with the attached risk that you may well be an excellent UMich student but not in their top 10-20%, tanking your science GPA for med school.
2»