Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Narrow College List Help

2»

Replies to: Narrow College List Help

• justinthomasjustinthomas Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    @Coloradomama Yes, I should qualify for the Hope Scholarship and I will be taking Calculus next year. I know my academics are a little low for GA Tech, but I am applying anyway and I am a legacy so I can get the Conditional Transfer Pathway if I choose to do so. I am also applying to UGA, but it is so very competitive nowadays so I am just hoping for the best. Thank you!
    @txstella Thank you for the info! I was looking at Howard, but now that they will be lacking sufficient funding, cost may be an issue.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,953 Senior Member
    Chances are super slim of admission to University of Texas. They pack their acceptances with kids in the top 2% from IN state and even then with a 1350 SAT you would be denied engineering and offered an alternative major. Additionally you for sure get $0.00 in scholarships. So you will be full pay OOS there.
  • ChangeTheGameChangeTheGame Registered User Posts: 597 Member
    edited March 15
    You might want to start by looking at your schools in the Net Price Calculator which may help you get rid of some schools. I did a quick look at the costs with no financial aid (I did throw in HOPE for the in-state GA schools since you look to have that in the bag). The costs could be deceiving without seeing how your family's income will factor into the costs. Engineering for some of the schools on your list is pretty competitive so I would look at that as a factor and shoot for a 1400+ SAT score over the next 6 months with some standardized test prep which should be possible. I am not sure about the lack of funding you noted from Howard (my daughter is a college freshman with a full ride at Howard so I am not see that) but it wasn't on your list), Your possible plan to use the conditional pathway is a good one if you don't get in on the front end and want to go to GT. My son (also class of 2020) is shooting for a full ride at Morehouse that will carry over to Georgia Tech through the 3/2 program for his chosen major (Computer Science at Morehouse and Computer Engineering at GT). Good Luck shortening your list.

Schools______________________________Approximate Cost of Attendance
    -Georgia Tech (I'm a legacy)____________________21K with Hope
    -Wake Forest _______________________________74.5K
    -University of Georgia_________________________20K with Hope
    -University of Miami __________________________71K
    -Tulane University____________________________75K
    -University of Texas___________________________52K
    -University of Pittsburgh (I'm a legacy)____________ 48K for Engineering Majors
    -Virginia Tech________________________________42K
    -Occidental College___________________________ 67K
    -Savannah College of Arts and Design (SCAD)______54K
    -University of Alabama_________________________ 45K
    -Auburn University_____________________________47K
    -University of Florida___________________________ 44K
    -Florida State University_________________________37K
    -University of South Carolina_____________________45K
    -University of Tennessee________________________ 48K
    -LSU________________________________________50K
    -Georgia State University________________________16K with Hope
    -University of San Diego (cuz why not)______________61.5K
    -Fordham University____________________________ 67.5K
    -Boston College________________________________65.5K
    -San Diego State_______________________________ 41K
    -UCLA________________________________________58K
    USC (cuz why not)______________________________67K
    @ChangeTheGame Oh my goodness, thank you! This spreadsheet setup of the schools and prices is super helpful. I didn't realize how expensive college really is! It definitely looks like staying in-state is the TOP option. What about some liberal arts? Do they give more money? I've been looking into Babson, Clark, and Bentley.
  • GoCubsGo719GoCubsGo719 Registered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    I think if your only reason to applying to school is because not while your college list is already approximately 20 colleges deep, its time to cut those schools from the list. If you where to get in and have no intention of going to that school, then it would also be time to cut that school from your list. Most college applications aren't free and applying to 20+ schools "just because" isn't a very financially smart option.
    @ChangeTheGame Do I automatically receive Conditional Transfer for Georgia Tech if I am a legacy?
  • ChangeTheGameChangeTheGame Registered User Posts: 597 Member
    @justinthomas Yes, you do get the option of a Conditional transfer since you are a legacy. I grabbed the GT link so you can see it for yourself.

https://admission.gatech.edu/transfer/transfer-pathway-programs
2»