Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

James Madison University vs Virginia Tech

chloejrdnchloejrdn Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
Hi,
I was wondering what the differences between these two schools are in terms of: location/academics/social life? I know that VT is slightly harder to get in to but is it a better school?

Replies to: James Madison University vs Virginia Tech

• VA-->NCVA-->NC Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    Depends on your major as to which may serve you better. Or location or price or size. JMU is smaller and not Div 1 sports, if that means something to you, then VT would be a better option. JMU has an active social life, but just due to size, VT has more. Both have Greek systems, neither school do you have to be in one to have a social life.
  • chloejrdnchloejrdn Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    I applied for international business at JMU and communications at VT. The program at JMU sounds more interesting but I've also always wanted to attend a big football school so it's a really hard choice.
    Thank you so much for all of this information!
  • cbl1cbl1 Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    edited March 15
    I will throw in one last thing and that has to do with size. JMU is a smaller school. Some kids feel that size can be overwhelming in college and JMU is going to feel smaller and maybe more comfortable for some. Others are the opposite - my kids went to a rather large high school and their impression on visiting JMU was that it felt like High School (they wanted something larger and grander …. like VT).

Lane Stadium on a Saturday night …. there is no JMU comparable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXgJHBrx76k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p7Z6fsr_K4
    The number of students isn't that much different though, right? I read that JMU has about 20k students and VT around 25k. I thought JMU was a pretty large school.. I definitely dont want it to feel like high school
  • DCNatFanDCNatFan Registered User Posts: 604 Member
    JMU has 20k UG and 2k G for a total of about 22k.
    VT has 27k UG and 7k G for a total of 34k.
    I thought my kids were taking it a little to the extreme - that was their words not mine. No it doesn't feel like high school. But I will agree with them that Virginia Tech feels "grander".
    Ok, thanks for the help! I am visiting these schools during the 1st week of April so i'll just see which one feels more like "home".
    edited March 15
    I like how VT has an academic side and resident side to campus. Most all dorms are on the residential side of drill field and all classes are on the other academic side. Makes the dorm area feel more like a community.

JMU has this community feel in the Village but overall the dorms are spread around. And there are no restaurants etc. in the village. Where as at Tech in middle of dorm area there are coffee shops, convenience stores, restaurants.

Both schools ranked very high in quality of life though.

**** ….

Virginia Tech #1 ranked best college food in country, #3 ranked Best College Campus in America, #7 ranked best big colleges in America, #8 best student life in America, #1 best student life in Virgiinia, #1 best college campus in virginia, #4 best party school in Virginia

JMU #6 ranked best college campus in America, #8 ranked best college food in America, #36 best student life in America, #2 best party school in virginia, #3 best student life in Virginia

So VT is above JMU in all categories except JMU wins for party school.

• bboop42bboop42 Registered User Posts: 653 Member
    One thing to note, JMU does not have many, if any, Grad students teaching classes whereas VT does have quite a few. I had one son graduate from VT engineering and one from JMU (traiter) Geology (currently attending graduate school on a full ride plus stipend covering living cost) both have excelled afterward. Both boys were 4th generation legacies when accepted. Doing well at either school will open plenty of doors upon graduation. Both are solid choices so do not get too hung up on rankings.... Visit the schools and decide where you feel most at home.
    choejrdn - let us know how it goes as will be interesting to hear your perspective coming in fresh.
    Thank you!! I am definitely leaning towards VT but i'll keep an open mind while visiting both schools. I also read that at JMU you are only required to live on campus the 1st year. Does this mean the majority of the students commute and so it does not have that "college feel" VT has?
    Both schools only require on campus freshman year. Both schools are college towns so living off campus just means in apartments around campus still with other students. There is no difference between schools.
  • ppxyz123ppxyz123 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    How difficult or easy is it to get into your major (CS in Engg) at Vtech since first year at Vtech is general.