Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UT Austin vs. University of Michigan Engineering

joey3432joey3432 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I am a high school senior from Texas majoring in biomedical engineering and I have narrowed down my college search to UT Austin and UMICH Ann Arbor. I recently got a merit scholarship from Michigan bringing the cost down to about 6k/year higher than UT in state cost, which is a difference my parents would likely be willing to help pay. I think I would probably prefer southern weather and culture, but could adapt to the North and would like the experience of living out of state. I am just looking for reasons to choose one or the other and am looking for some input. Thanks!

Replies to: UT Austin vs. University of Michigan Engineering

• privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 3,021 Senior Member
    Tough choice. Both outstanding. I would go with personal “fit” and the extra money isn’t a bad thing either.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,953 Senior Member
    edited March 16
    What is the entry to major process at UMICH for engineering? And what do you want to do with your BME degree? At UT it will be really touch to switch to a different engineering major. Lots of kids want to switch out of BME when they realize the job prospects are dimmer and that so many biomedical companies prefer MechE over BME. There are only so many opportunities in the still limited world of tissue engineering

If you perceive more flexibility at UMICH then that’s something else to consider.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,953 Senior Member
    ^tough. Not touch.