Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Umich vs UT Austin: Premed

UniKUniK Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
I know that I don't have any time left but I really need to know where to go for the next four years of my life. I got accepted into Michigan LSA and UT and I'm looking to go into premed. I originally applied for UT's neuroscience but instead got my second choice major, psychology. I'm a Texas resident, so I got instate for UT and the freaking expensive OOS tuition for Michigan. Although going to Texas may be comfortable (as I'd be close to my family and have cheaper tuition), I want to have a more global college experience (even though I know UT is #3 in study abroad programs, but I want more than just studying abroad).

I visisted both campuses and I really liked basically everything about Michigan except for, again, its freaking high tuition (which for me comes around $60,000 a year compared to UT's $25,000 annual tuition). My parents said that they're willing to pay for either one.

I tried applying for Michigan's honors program and four-year scholarship but missed both deadlines. I heard that Michigan's premed programs are #1 and that Michigan is a top tier level 1 school (nationally ranked #27) compared to UT (#49) not to mention that it does have a powerful network as well as prestige (not saying that UT isn't well known but that Michigan is pretty famous). Also Michigan has its own hospital so I'm guessing it can be really convenient for hospital volunteering, research, internships, etc. At the same time, I got into UT's Jefferson Scholars Program, but I don't know how that'll help me really. If I go to UT, though, I'm considering transferring to the College of Natural Sciences (and maybe into its honors program) because that's where I originally wanted to be, but I don't know if it will be difficult or not.

What I'm really worried about is that if I go to UT, although I'd be closer to my family and be more comfortable by paying less tuition, I'd miss a lot of opportunities at Michigan (and maybe some of its prestige) but also be bombarded with higher competition than at UT. However, if Michigan is similar to UT but I go to Michigan anyway, I'd be carrying a $160,000 price tag along with Med School tuition. Basically, is the price tag worth the education and premed preparations I'll be getting at Michigan?

edit: I posted this discussion on the wrong thread but everyone said that UT is better because it's cheaper. Aside from money, is Michigan really worth it, even if I didn't get into any honors/special programs?

Replies to: Umich vs UT Austin: Premed

• UniKUniK Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I know that I don't have any time left but I really need to know where to go for the next four years of my life. I got accepted into Michigan LSA and UT and I'm looking to go into premed. I originally applied for UT's neuroscience but instead got my second choice major, psychology. I'm a Texas resident, so I got instate for UT and the freaking expensive OOS tuition for Michigan. Although going to Texas may be comfortable (as I'd be close to my family and have cheaper tuition), I want to have a more global college experience (even though I know UT is #3 in study abroad programs, but I want more than just studying abroad).

I visisted both campuses and I really liked basically everything about Michigan except for, again, its freaking high tuition (which for me comes around $60,000 a year compared to UT's $25,000 annual tuition). I tried applying for Michigan's honors program and four-year scholarship but missed both deadlines. I heard that Michigan's premed programs are basically #1 and that Michigan is a top tier level 1 school compared to UT (Also Michigan has its own hospital so I'm guessing it can be really convenient for hospital volunteering, research, internships, etc.). At the same time, I got into UT's Jefferson Scholars Program, but I don't know how that'll help me really. Also, if I go to UT, I'm considering to transfer to the College of Natural Sciences because that's where I originally wanted to be.

What I'm really worried about is that if I go to UT, although I'd be closer to my family and be more comfortable by paying less tuition, I'd miss a lot of opportunities at Michigan but also be bombarded with higher competition than at UT. However, if Michigan is similar to UT but I go to Michigan anyway, I'd be carrying a $160,000 price tag along with Med School tuition.
    I really don't know what to do and what would be the best not only for my college experience but for pre med and my future preparations for medical school
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 3,312 Senior Member
    Wrong place for thread, but most posters are going to say save your money and go to UT. These are two very large public universities and will give you virtually the same experience. You will miss no opportunities. You will be one of thousands except at UT you will be special in the sense of being a Jefferson Scholar, the more I type the more its obviously UT.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 7,437 Senior Member
    Based on the financial consideration, this is an easy choice = UT-Austin.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,044 Senior Member
    What opportunities do you think you would be missing by attending UT?

Save your money because if you DO get accepted to medical school, you will need the money for that.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,044 Senior Member
    if Michigan is similar to UT but I go to Michigan anyway, I'd be carrying a $160,000 price tag along with Med School tuition

Didn’t you say your cost per year at Michigan is $60,000? If so...that’s $240,000 for four years and that doesn’t account for any increases in costs for the four years of undergrad.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,614 Senior Member
    As a Texas resident, wouldn't attending UT Austin for undergraduate allow you to save money for medical school and be more convenient to travel to interviews at (lower cost) Texas public medical schools if/when you apply?
  • OhiBroOhiBro Registered User Posts: 292 Junior Member
    There is no way I would spend 4 years of my life in Ann Arbor, especially if Austin is the alternative. And I advised my child as such.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,901 Senior Member
    Michigan not worth it with Austin as the alternative. I think it’s insane to enrich another state school that is equal or close to quality and name recognition without getting a comparable price.
  • sushirittosushiritto Registered User Posts: 3,296 Senior Member
    edited April 28
    There is no way I would spend 4 years of my life in Ann Arbor, especially if Austin is the alternative. And I advised my child as such.

That’s exactly how I feel, and my Class of 2022 kid felt, except the other way around. :smiley: My DC18 picked AA and loves it!

If money were no object, then I’d pick UMich. If money matters, then UT is the obvious choice.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 4,949 Senior Member
    Same prestige. Don’t worry about that. It’s very common for the proximity and familiarity to lessen the attractiveness of a state flagship. UT is an academic peer of UMich. If you are going to med school you’ll need another 300k perhaps. And Texas has great med school options.

However if the money issue is irrelevant in the end, no one would ever second guess you choosing UM either.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,493 Forum Champion
    UT and UM are both among the top public universities in the country. You would be wise to save the money and go to UT, especially if med school is a consideration in your future.
  • yikesyikesyikesyikesyikesyikes Forum Champion U. Michigan Posts: 1,958 Forum Champion
    If fit is a really major concern (and it is 100% okay if it is) and you can afford it --> Michigan. Otherwise, I would definitely go the UT route. Both schools will serve a premed well.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 3,312 Senior Member
    If you love it you return, here are the top retention rates. Both UM and UT have impressive retentions rates for public universities.

Columbia University
    New York, NY
    99%
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Cambridge, MA
    99%
    University of Chicago
    Chicago, IL
    99%
    Yale University
    New Haven, CT
    99%
    Brown University
    Providence, RI
    98%
    California Institute of Technology
    Pasadena, CA
    98%
    Dartmouth College
    Hanover, NH
    98%
    Northwestern University
    Evanston, IL
    98%
    Princeton University
    Princeton, NJ
    98%
    Stanford University
    Stanford, CA
    98%
    University of Notre Dame
    Notre Dame, IN
    98%
    University of Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia, PA
    98%
    Carnegie Mellon University
    Pittsburgh, PA
    97%
    Cornell University
    Ithaca, NY
    97%
    Duke University
    Durham, NC
    97%
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    Atlanta, GA
    97%
    Harvard University
    Cambridge, MA
    97%
    Johns Hopkins University
    Baltimore, MD
    97%
    Northeastern University
    Boston, MA
    97%
    Rice University
    Houston, TX
    97%
    Tufts University
    Medford, MA
    97%
    University of California--Berkeley
    Berkeley, CA
    97%
    University of California--Los Angeles
    Los Angeles, CA
    97%
    University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
    Ann Arbor, MI
    97%

University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
    Chapel Hill, NC
    97%
    University of Rochester
    Rochester, NY
    97%
    University of Virginia
    Charlottesville, VA
    97%
    Vanderbilt University
    Nashville, TN
    97%
    Washington University in St. Louis
    St. Louis, MO
    97%
    Georgetown University
    Washington, DC
    96%
    Lehigh University
    Bethlehem, PA
    96%
    University of Florida
    Gainesville, FL
    96%
    University of Maryland--College Park
    College Park, MD
    96%
    University of Southern California
    Los Angeles, CA
    96%
    Worcester Polytechnic Institute
    Worcester, MA
    96%
    Boston College
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    95%
    College of William and Mary
    Williamsburg, VA
    95%
    University of California--San Diego
    La Jolla, CA
    95%
    University of Georgia
    Athens, GA
    95%
    University of Texas--Austin
    Austin, TX

95%
    University of Wisconsin--Madison
    Madison, WI
    95%
    Villanova University
    Villanova, PA
    95%
    Emory University
    Atlanta, GA
    94%
    North Carolina State University--Raleigh
    Raleigh, NC
    94%
    Ohio State University--Columbus
    Columbus, OH
    94%
    Stevens Institute of Technology
    Hoboken, NJ
    94%
    University of Washington
    Seattle, WA
  • bethany23bethany23 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    i’ve visited both and they’re both very nice and have good stats, personally i think UT is the better option since it’s more affordable and i don’t think you’ll be missing anything there. you can also always transfer later if you don’t like it
  • rjkofnovirjkofnovi Registered User Posts: 10,521 Senior Member
    “There is no way I would spend 4 years of my life in Ann Arbor, especially if Austin is the alternative. And I advised my child as such.”

That’s your misfortune.