right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Liberal Arts School with a B.S. in Psych?

2»

Replies to: Liberal Arts School with a B.S. in Psych?

• bluebayoubluebayou 26660 replies174 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 12
    a bachelor of science degree has more courses specific to my major (psychology) and also additional science courses, which is important since i'm planning to study psychology in grad school as well.

you are incorrect. Grad schools will not care one iota about the differences between a BA/BS. At some top colleges, only a BA is available.

Think about it: if you want to take Organic Chem and Advanced Physics under a BA degree, you certainly can.

(I also disagree that you don't need those pesky Hume/Lit courses. Grad school requires lotsa writing and those lit/hume courses will serve you well. But if you want the ultimate self-selection, aim for Amherst.)
    edited May 12
    · Reply · Share
  • moooopmoooop 2205 replies17 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Don't waste another second based on the premise that there is a significant long-term difference between BA & BS degrees. No grad school cares, & if you want more psych classes than a BA will require, then take them as electives.

I also agree with those who say the humanities classes won't be a waste. Those are typically the classes where you learn to notice tiny details while reading, learn to explain the significance of differences others won't even notice, and learn how to logically construct a case supporting a point of view. These skills are at least as important in grad school as the depth of your knowledge of psychology.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22667 replies2225 postsVerified Member Senior Member
    edited July 11
    Lafayette College offers both a BA and a BS in psychology. The BS involves more science and upper level psych coursework.

I do agree that the coursework you take is more important than if your degree is a BS or BA.
    edited July 11
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1115 replies1 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not a LAC, but Rowan U also offers both a BA and BS in Psych. I believe you can see both of the course requirements on their website if you want to compare the actual class differences, but the general description does say the BS includes more science and research courses.
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3875 replies67 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 11
    You're barking up the wrong tree. As someone with a psychology degree and married to a clinical psychologist, I can tell you it makes not one iota of difference whether your undergrad degree is a BS in Psychology or a BA in Psychology. In researching colleges, investigate the distribution requirements and the specific requirements for the major. If the psych major does not require the specific science courses you want, you can take those science courses to fulfill distribution requirements or take them as electives. You can also talk to psych faculty about the flexibility of their programs and the possibility of designing your own program. If you are headed to psych grad school, research the prerequisites and make sure you fulfill them—regardless of whether those prerequisites (coursework or experiences) are requirements for the undergrad major.

In general, I think you are getting too much into the weeds for an undergrad psych program. The grad program will be where you need to carefully examine the focus of the program to be sure it matches your goals.
    edited July 11
    · Reply · Share
  • vonlostvonlost 18642 replies13909 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited July 12
    a bachelor of arts degree has more courses focused on the humanities, which i don't need
    Which schools' curricula did you compare? Our SIL got a BA and then a PhD in Physics. BA or BS doesn't seem to matter.
    edited July 12
    · Reply · Share
  • 4gsmom4gsmom 693 replies24 postsRegistered User Member
    Clinical Psychologist here who agrees that it doesn't matter if it's a BA or a BS. Just do well. And get research experience. And I was the student rep to the admissions committee for my grad program (T20 school) - don't say in your grad school application: "I'm the go to person for all my friends and their problems. I'm considered the therapist of our group." EVERYONE writes that.
    · Reply · Share