right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Good Colleges in the Northeast Area

jerseygirl21jerseygirl21 6 replies4 threadsRegistered User New Member
i’m a high school soph in nj and id like to know which schools would be good for me (business/pharm/psych)?

-preferably in nj, ny, pa, ma, etc
im also looking for a school with a high asian population/good diversity

stats:
gpa(uw): 2.88
sat: i’m guessing a 1230 ??
ecs: library shelving, hospital volunteering, president of clubs, student council 2 years, dance for 11 years, swimming for 4 years, basketball for 8 years, hosa club, red cross club, science club, dance club, feminism club, softball for 1 year, and i would say i have like 150-200 hours as of now.

edited June 4
20 replies
Post edited by skieurope on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Good Colleges in the Northeast Area

• taverngirltaverngirl 932 replies22 threadsRegistered User Member
    Maybe Mass College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences? UHart has a pre pharma program.
    · Reply · Share
  • circuitridercircuitrider 3367 replies168 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Drew, TCNJ, St. Johns (NY), Villanova, Temple, Ithaca, Oneonta.
    · Reply · Share
  • LonghaulLonghaul 2616 replies137 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    2.88 is low for pharmacy.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22859 replies2248 threadsVerified Member Senior Member
    You really need to do some basic research on your own first. I would start off by taking the following steps:

--Talk to your parents about any limitations on your college search (ex. financial, geographic, anything else).

--Study for the SAT and take it next year. A guess of a SAT score is not useful. Do you have an actual PSAT score?

--Talk to your guidance counselor to develop a list. If your HS has Naviance that is a valuable tool.

--Get your hands on some good college guide books (ex. Fiske, Princeton Review) which can often be found in the guidance dept. or a library and start reading about schools in your academic range.

--Try to visit some different types of schools.

--Consider what you want in a college. Anything you care about is fair game. A few ideas of questions to ask yourself are: What size school do you like? Do you want Greek Life? Do you care about big time sports? What type of location (not just geographic, but also rural/urban/suburban) do you prefer? What do you want to study?

· Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22974 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not in the northeast but in the south. Presbyterian College in S. Carolina is a liberal arts college with a pharmacy school. Your stats might fit in well.
    · Reply · Share
  • andoverblue21andoverblue21 20 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    idk about colleges in other states but I'm definitely familiar with some in Massachusetts! Massachusetts College for Pharmacy & Health Sciences (MCPHS) is a great option as it is not too difficult to get into and it's one of the best schools for pharmacy in the state. Western New England University in Springfield, MA which is in the western part of state is also another great option based on your stats. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • jerseygirl21jerseygirl21 6 replies4 threadsRegistered User New Member
    thanks, i’ll update my post
    · Reply · Share
    psat- 1000
    -i’m pretty sure i can boost up my gpa to a 3.2-3.4 within the next year or so
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5508 replies1 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "i’m pretty sure i can boost up my gpa to a 3.2-3.4 within the next year or so"

If you can improve your GPA substantially for your junior year of high school, this will help your college applications a lot. You will probably need somewhere around about a 3.25 during your junior year to get your overall GPA up to 3.0. If you can do better than this, it would be even better with regard to university applications.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1226 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
    · Reply · Share
  • PostmodernPostmodern 1160 replies91 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My opinion: Rowan, Stockton, Montclair State would all be great places for you. In addition to being excellent values in state, you could explore and discover what your preferred majors are there and then transfer once you have hit your academic stride. Lower cost means lower risk for an extra semester or two.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5273 replies77 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    University of Rhode Island possibly.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7977 replies82 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Consider Clark University in Worcester, Massachusetts for business & psychology.
    · Reply · Share
    also another question, what gpa would i need in my junior year to get a 3.4ish? like all As ? or would i be able to slide in a few Bs
    · Reply · Share
  • allyphoeallyphoe 2388 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 6
    (2.88 times 2 years plus x times one year ) divided by three is 3.4.
    (5.76 + x ) / 3 = 3.4
    5.76 + x = 10.2
    x = 10.2 - 5.76
    x = 4.44

So assuming you're taking the same number of classes each year, it's mathematically impossible to get your cumulative unweighted GPA up to a 3.4

Subbing in a 4 for the x above, and a y for the ending GPA above:
    (5.76 + 4) / 3 = y
    9.76/3 = y
    y = 3.25

All As as a junior would give you a 3.25 cumulative unweighted GPA.
    edited June 6
    · Reply · Share
  • stones3stones3 929 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    gpa would be an issue for TCNJ. They look for top 15% of graduating class gpa. Also the business school is especially competitive to get into --such as accounting or finance majors. however its also the highest ranked in the state for good reason.
    · Reply · Share
  • njdadjetsnjdadjets 135 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I suggest Ramapo College or Rowan for business, but listen, your junior year of high school is the most important. You really have an opportunity to raise you gpa and take the SAT or ACT multiple times. Your stats are too low for pharmacy
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 1719 replies26 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Hartwick College (in Oneonta NY), WNE (Western New England in Springfield MA), Salve Regina College (Newport RI), Johnson & Whales (Rhode Island).
    · Reply · Share
  • BrooklynRyeBrooklynRye 711 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    Targeting schools reasonably within your GPA as well as responding directly to your original post (i.e., Business & Pharmacology), consider Rutgers (New Brunswick or Newark campus), and Montclair State. In-State options will take the sting out of tuition. These schools are probably more in your wheelhouse for GPA/Scores. These schools, unlike say TCNJ, offer BOTH of your fields of interest. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • sparklersmsparklersm 103 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I don't think you'll get into MCPHS pharmD program but you may have a chance at there bachelors in pharmaceutical business program. Its a business degree focusing on the pharmacy industry. I also think they have agreements in place so you can get an mba from umass Boston after graduation but this may have changed since they are launching there own mba program.
    · Reply · Share