right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

College Rankings for "Social Mobility"

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 26 replies206 discussionsEditor Posts: 232 Editor
Find out which colleges ranked high in the "Social Mobility Index." https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/colleges-ranked-for-social-mobility/
14 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: College Rankings for "Social Mobility"

• writingpumpkin03writingpumpkin03 138 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    I'm confused as to why net cost isn't accounted for.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76466 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,131 Senior Member
    edited July 2
    http://www.socialmobilityindex.org/ explains why they use tuition rather than net tuition. You may or may not agree with the reason. Basically, they believe that high list price tuition discourages low-SES applicants from applying due to the relative opacity of financial aid and net price (even here on these forums, many posters have no idea that net price calculators exist to get preliminary estimates).

Of course, some odd cases may not be accounted for well. For example, Webb Institute has high tuition, but every US citizen and permanent resident gets a full tuition scholarship, so the opacity of financial aid and net price is reduced (although there is still some relating to the rest of the cost of attendance).
    edited July 2
    · Reply · Share
  • ASKMotherASKMother 187 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    Interesting index to consider. Very concerned though regarding the low rate of graduation on many of these schools. Makes me wonder if this contributes to the greater statistic concerning the high amount of college loans not being paid off because (roughly calculated from a cursory glance) 40% of the students didn't finish college and therefore didn't obtain that $50K/year job. So are the colleges giving a hand up to those in need or incentivizing greater financial burdens for those already at a financial crossroad? ... just a thought.
    · Reply · Share
  • CU123CU123 3304 replies58 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,362 Senior Member
    What a tremendously flawed list, can you figure out why all of the schools at the top of the list are either in California or New York?
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76466 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,131 Senior Member
    The CSUs in California and CUNYs in NY do enroll a large percentage of students from low income backgrounds and have low in-state list prices, factors which move them up in this ranking.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5015 replies64 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,079 Senior Member
    Does it measure going a backwards too?
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 26577 replies174 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 26,751 Senior Member
    I'm confused as to why net cost isn't accounted for.

Agreed. Who cares what Boston College -- since it is called out -- charges for tuition as long as it is zero (BC meets full need) for those low income types that this SMI is purporting to target info?
    · Reply · Share
  • CU123CU123 3304 replies58 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,362 Senior Member
    Well this goes to my opinion that if you are low income that you should move to California for your best shot at going to college.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2280 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,285 Senior Member
    edited July 12
    "I am not familiar with CSUs, but I do know about NYC and the CUNYs and what kind of students attend them."

CSUs may have a similar profile (communter, lower SES etc), but I don't think they have as many adult students as the CUNYs do, @ucbalumnus and @Gumbymom would probably know more about that. However without a doubt, public schools, esp is states like NY and CA will do a better job wrt economic mobility than privates, simply because its one of their goals, i.e. to improve wealth of their population via education, which is not the case with privates (fluffy mission statements aside). I grew up in NY and live in CA, they're probably the two best states wrt to higher edu when you also consider their community colleges.
    edited July 12
    · Reply · Share
    While CA and NY do well nether ranks in the top 10 % for college grads.
    #1 DoC
    #2 Massachusetts
    #3 Colorado
    #4 Maryland
    #5 Conneticut

#10 NY
    #15 CA
    · Reply · Share
  • TheodenTheoden 128 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    @NYCgirl999 is right! The CUNY system, and to a lesser extent, the SUNY system, does a lot for social mobility. Very affordable tuition, and the rare distinction of frequently moving students from low income to middle or upper middle income.
    · Reply · Share
  • H MomH Mom 9 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I think what is important to note is that the "elite" liberal arts schools and universities that offer to pay full financial need in effect only offer a small percentage of students this opportunity, and the rest pay full tuition. Even the need-blind schools are low on this list because they are not truly need-blind as much as they claim they are. When you include your parents' jobs and address on an application, it's not hard to figure out where someone belongs on the socio-economic spectrum. The elite schools will never have good results on the upward social mobility index since a smaller percentage of their students actually come from disadvantaged backgrounds and the majority come from high-income families which skews their mobility numbers downward. The schools that rank well have more middle class and lower middle class families - which can't afford the elite schools or don't get in because they can't pay the tuition - the high achieving students who are given the chance to succeed at these schools gain upward mobility and create a more positive ranking. While schools are trying to achieve lower admissions rates and climb the ranks of the US News and world report, I think this index shows the important work that these lower ranking schools are doing in bettering the life of the bulk of American students.
    **And, to be fair, the New York and California schools are most likely skewed because they are offering opportunities for low income, high achieving residents, who end up making more by virtue of average salaries in these states. But, it's nice to see some private universities higher up on the list and we should be thankful for the work they are doing for those students who don't come from elite backgrounds.
    · Reply · Share
  • Kenneth1960Kenneth1960 98 replies18 discussionsForum Champion Harvard Posts: 116 Forum Champion
    I teach at Baruch, now that I've retired from Wall Street. I can tell you first-hand that CUNY is remarkable in its ability to help kids up the ladder. I just had an immigrant kid whose parents were homeless for a while get placed into a six-figure job at a big company immediately after graduation. I've seen several cases like this. Many of my students work full-time and go to school full-time. I'm sure other public institutions have similar success stories, but CUNY is amazing in its ability to change lives.
    · Reply · Share