right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Similar to Bard and Bennington?

flowerpower007flowerpower007 4 replies8 threads New Member
I'm looking to expand my list of LACs with strong visual arts programs that also have a artsy/"hipster" vibe to them and don't seem predominantly female. A lot of LACs I've come across seem more "preppy" or have a student body almost completely made up of women, this is ok but not what I'm looking for. Bard is my top choice and Bennington also had a nice campus feel to it, anything similar to this I'd love to hear about regardless of stats, location, ect, I'm just looking to see other options.
15 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Similar to Bard and Bennington?

• merc81merc81 11810 replies201 threads Senior Member
    Reed, Oberlin, Vassar, Kenyon?
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing Forum Champion Williams College 2262 replies104 threads Forum Champion
    Skidmore
    · Reply · Share
  • waverlywizzardwaverlywizzard 209 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Also Williams College has a beautiful renowned art museum close to campus and equally well known Mass MOCA of modern art in nearby North Adams
    · Reply · Share
  • warblersrulewarblersrule 10235 replies176 threads Super Moderator
    edited August 2019
    Alfred may be worth a look if you can handle its remote location, especially if you're interested in glass and/or ceramics.
    edited August 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • tk21769tk21769 10710 replies27 threads Senior Member
  • merc81merc81 11810 replies201 threads Senior Member
    Though it misses your criterion with respect to gender balance, Sarah Lawrence aligns with your other preferences.
    · Reply · Share
  • circuitridercircuitrider 3899 replies182 threads Senior Member
    Sounds pretty reminiscent of Hamilton's "dark side"; particularly, if. you like Bard's woodsy feel.
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 6673 replies10 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2019
    Earlham perhaps? Not really sure what their visual arts program is, but it was a school that seemed to have a bit of an overlap with Bard. (Saw a number of the same kids at the accepted student events.)

You might want to see if Macalester has programs that interest you.
    edited August 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • TheodenTheoden 252 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Look at Knox in Illinois. New arts building, very quirky and artsy. Also an excellent Creative Writing and Theater major.
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 2241 replies28 threads Senior Member
    Skidmore. Maybe Clark.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24026 replies2408 threads Super Moderator
    Good suggestions above. You might also check out Goucher.
    If finances are an issue perhaps SUNY New Paltz is worth a look (it is larger than a LAC but not huge).
    · Reply · Share
  • HapworthHapworth 578 replies0 threads Member
    @merc81 is correct: Bard, Bennington, and Sarah Lawrence are the classic three. For those old enough to remember, terms like "Bennington gal" or "Sarah Lawrence gal" were once sweeping descriptors that somewhat captured the type of person (for the longest time, female) who attended such a school. Diane Chambers (played by Shelley Long), the snooty, intellectual bar maid on Cheers, was a Bennington grad. :-)

To a lesser extent, Hampshire, Goucher, Marlboro, and Reed are in this universe. Times have changed, though, and one rarely hears Bennington mentioned much anymore.
    · Reply · Share
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 2308 replies11 threads Senior Member
  • BBBB 131 replies2 threads Junior Member
    edited August 2019
    And just for fun, I thought I would add a link for one of the Earlham May term programs. It was art/research based in the Shetland Islands. Earlham has a textiles program, but you did not have to be in it to participate. Actually, it was lead by an Anthropologist. And I remember thinking it was extraordinary when I saw it. I am sharing it here, because I think it includes some inherent commentary on the "artsy" values for the college in general.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://earlham.edu/media/3479669/Shetland.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi0tZSapJzkAhVMLKwKHQgIAdoQFjABegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0TDPRxr48hDbrYSP9Vzd_H

Earlham guarantees every student an option to participate in at least one such program (many choices, including a New York Arts Semester -- which you can find under the Art Department link in my earlier post, found above ) to be included in their program at regular tuition. A second program is not guaranteed to be covered at no extra cost, but there is the possibility of further scholarship. But every student is guaranteed funding for one research, internship, or study abroad program by the college.
    Obviously, they have some very practical career-focused programs as well (my own son was deciding between an animal-behavior program in Tanzania and a bio-diversity research project in the Bahamas) But ... I personally like that Earlham balances the offerings, and really thinks outside the box with what they offer to students.
    (You can look up details under EPIC on the Earlham website, if you want more info on programs and/or the funding mechanisms) Here is a link that might help: http://earlham.edu/epic/
    But note that there are probably more programs than are listed here, because professors often have funding grants from other sources and include students in their research under that funding, so that might be listed under department pages, rather than the EPIC page.
    Still -- the EPIC page gives a clear idea of what is possible. And you can see some recent student experiences and interviews linked on the EPIC pages, as well, which might give you a sense of "artsy" level outside of the art majors.
    edited August 2019
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity