right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Looking for a top tier liberal arts school with a marching band

Crystal_slothCrystal_sloth 7 replies3 postsRegistered User New Member
Does anyone know of any top tier liberal arts schools (like a Bates, Colby, Vassar etc) that have a marching band? I want like to continue music into college, but not as my major.
17 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Looking for a top tier liberal arts school with a marching band

• TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2072 replies99 postsForum Champion Williams College Forum Champion
    Williams College has the Moocho Macho Moocow Military Marching Band! As its name implies, it has a playful approach.
    · Reply · Share
  • washugradwashugrad 1083 replies13 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    While not a LAC, Stanford is a top-tier school with a top-notch school of arts and sciences and a very quirky marching band, infamous for actually being on the field during a play and having their trombone player run over.
    · Reply · Share
  • inthegardeninthegarden 1018 replies19 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not top tier, but Gettysburg College is a solid LAC with a marching band.
    · Reply · Share
  • Crystal_slothCrystal_sloth 7 replies3 postsRegistered User New Member
    😂 wish i had the grades to go to Stanford
    · Reply · Share
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys 3985 replies27 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    College of Wooster has a marching band, Scottish themed, may wear kilts, I'm not sure.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20603 replies209 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Holy Cross appears to have one. Davidson has a pep band.

What instrument to you play? Most (all?) will have some kind of orchestra/
    · Reply · Share
  • DCCAWAMIIAILDCCAWAMIIAIL 106 replies3 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Rice! The Marching Owl Band (MOB) - http://mob.rice.edu. Another band that doesn't take itself too seriously!
    · Reply · Share
    I play the flute in my HS marching band, symphonic band, honors wind ensemble, and pep band. Im looking for a college with a similar music program.
    · Reply · Share
    The Holy Cross band looks like what I'm looking for, the more traditional approach.
    · Reply · Share
  • MAmom111MAmom111 108 replies8 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited August 13
    Marist College and Boston College both have them. As someone else
    mentioned, College of Wooster has one and they do in fact wear kilts. I think unfortunately, many LAC’s are too small to field a marching band.
    edited August 13
    · Reply · Share
  • pishicacapishicaca 274 replies8 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Thirding Wooster, one of the best small college marching bands with lots of fun traditions and more integrated into campus culture than most...not just playing on the field.
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 13
    @Midwestmomofboys, @MAmom111, @pishicaca, I was under the impression that Wooster's was made up entirely of bagpipers and traditional Scottish dancers (and those kids get scholarships!) So, they incorporate other instruments?? That would be good news as Wooster is on our radar for D21.
    edited August 13
    · Reply · Share
  • txstellatxstella 1078 replies5 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    While not a liberal arts college, you might consider TCU. You might need to go to a university with a solid football team to find the marching band you want.
    · Reply · Share
  • pishicacapishicaca 274 replies8 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Midwestmomofboys, @MAmom111, @pishicaca, I was under the impression that Wooster's was made up entirely of bagpipers and traditional Scottish dancers (and those kids get scholarships!) So, they incorporate other instruments?? That would be good news as Wooster is on our radar for D21.

Wooster absolutely has a marching band (nicknamed Best Small College Band in the Land)! The pipe band, Scottish drummers and Highland dancers are in addition to the traditional marching band. https://www.wooster.edu/departments/music/ensembles/scotband/
    · Reply · Share
    Oh, thanks @pishicaca !
    · Reply · Share
  • AidaAida 253 replies17 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Not an LAC, but Lehigh might have what you're looking for with their traditional marching band, the Marching 97. Lehigh also offers merit scholarship opportunities to students in band/musical ensembles, regardless of major.
    · Reply · Share
  • waverlywizzardwaverlywizzard 138 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Holy Cross. I have seen them they are great, and( surely very purple clad). HC also has a music scholarship.
    · Reply · Share