right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

HELP: Enrolled in two schools at once

knownomascotknownomascot 0 replies1 threads New Member
Okay so this is somewhat of a complicated situation but I will try to keep it as short as possible. I began attending a decent sized state school as a freshman in Fall of 2017 after graduating high school. I completed 3 semesters, Fall 2017, Spring 2018, and Fall 2018. Following Fall 2018 I did not make satisfactory academic progress and was forced to sit spring out as I was unable to receive federal funds. I spent a semester away and met with staff members consistently to focus on doing what I needed to get back in. Fast forward summer 2019, I filed a SAP appeal in an effort to get financial aid to return for the Fall 2019 semester and it was denied. This left me with no choice but to search for another school as I'm unable to take out private loans or pay out of pocket. This is where my current dilemma starts.
There are two smaller schools in the same town I live in besides the main university. One is a 2 year community college/technical school we'll call school A. The other school "school B" is a 2 year college as well, however this one is the "feeder school" to my original university and has classes in some of their buildings as well as offering a student ID to my main university as well as including their resources such as gym and health center etc etc in their tuition while still being much cheaper. I'd prefer to attend school here as the transition would be more seamless and I'd still be on my original campus very frequently. However, I apply to both at the same time to be safe as they have differing start dates.
School A accepts me quick and before school B and classes started the 12th here.
School B starts classes on the 19th, but had my application pending past the 12th so I began class at school A to be safe. Fast forward and School B just accepted me today, the 14th. Once again, classes their start the 19th.
School A has told me I can still receive financial aid if attending there, they will not hold my denied SAP appeal at my original school against me. School B has said they are "unsure" of what will happen and I've had to speak with financial aid numerous times regarding my academic standing at my prior university only to be told they wouldn't know until I was accepted. I was accepted there today and financial aid was busy so I had to leave a voicemail.
Both Schools require me to go through financial aid verification and I've submitted documents to school A but am awaiting response from school B on which documents they require. My problem now is I'm already taking classes at school A, while classes at school B start next week.
It's my thought that I can simultaneously attend both while the financial aid verification is happening and then once offered my award from both schools just accept it from the school I wish to attend. My concern is, will the Department of Education see this as suspicious and mess me up somehow? I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face as I'm already enrolled at school A but school B is much more ideal and only slightly more expensive.

OP cant go back to original university because of denied sap appeal
Applies to two other colleges in area whose start dates are a week apart
Accepted to one , application pending at other for quiet some time
Begin classes at school where I was accepted first, application to other school still pending
After beginning class at school A, School B accepts OP. Their classes start the following week.
OP has to submit financial aid verification to both
Hopes government doesn't think he is a fraud and doesn't want to be left empty handed unable to attend either.
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: HELP: Enrolled in two schools at once

  • thumper1thumper1 78514 replies3537 threads Senior Member
    You can’t be a matriculated student for financial aid purposes at TWO different schools. Pick one.

    Frankly, I would go with the sure thing in terms of finances...assuming you would be able to transfer those courses back to your first school.

    If you are enrolled in two schools...at the end...you will only get aid for ONE and you could be responsible for paying for the other one...or at least partially depending on their withdrawal policies in terms of how much you still pay at certain withdrawal times.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3730 replies14 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2019
    Yes, you will owe money if you keep attending classes at both schools. Make sure you know the date by which you can withdraw and get a 100% refund - that date might be looming.

    Edited to add that my local U allows you to drop within 6 days of the first day of school and still get a full refund. If you drop 7 days after the first day, you lose 25% of the cost of tuition.
    edited August 2019
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity