right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Reverse Chance a Stressed Senior!!!

ashleykashleyk 9 replies2 postsRegistered User New Member
I’m currently in the process of picking and applying to colleges. I’m curious to see what would be considered safety schools and reach schools for me, since I am often not the best judge of myself :) In addition to being reverse chanced, please let me know what acceptance rate I should aim for and what would be more realistic for me.

As I’ve mentioned, I’m currently a rising senior at a private college prep school in Hawaii (c/o 2020). My school is very well-known in my state for being an exceptional institution and academically challenging. I’m also a first-generation Korean-American female (Born in the US, but both of my parents are from Korea), but both of my parents have attended college.

Academics:
GPA: UW 3.95 / W 4.29 (on a 4.0 scale), in context, all A’s with 1 B+ my freshman year
Honors: Algebra 1H, Geometry H, Algebra 2H, Pre-calc H, Biology H, Chemistry H, Spanish 2H, English 10H
APs: AP Biology (5), AP Physics 1 (5), AP Statistics (5), AP English Lang (5 - I didn’t take the class, only the exam)
Senior Schedule: AP Chemistry, AP Micro/Macro, AP Psych, AP Calc BC, English (War/Speech), Band, Honors Independent Research (Science)
Class rank: N/A
Headmaster’s List w/ Top Student
Awards for Algebra 1H, Band, Algebra 2H

Test Scores:
PSAT/NMSQT: Total (1510), Math (760), English (750) - Likely Merit Semifinalist
ACT: 36 in all categories, 10 on essay
SAT: 1520 and 7/6/7 essay (October 2018), Planning on retaking this month to do better
Subject SAT:
- 2018: Math I (740), Chemistry (780)
- 2019: Math II (800), Biology (800)

ECs:
- Founder and President of a health/outreach club
- Previous Key Club Secretary and Division News Editor, Current President
- Consistent Math Team member on undefeated team (40+ years)
- Science Bowl competitor (only regionals)
- French Horn in school band and orchestra
- Member of state medical school program for high schoolers interested in a career in the health field (spoke to an advisor and will shortly begin a research project with a nutritionist and apply for a student council position)
- Volunteer at Hospice and hospital (Volunteer hrs including Key Club total to over 200 in just over 1 year)
- Summer Research Fellowship recipient, planning on continuing in the school year and attending ISEF
- School Committee Co-chair in planning activities for entire upper school (1000+ students)
- Shadow various physicians during summer, over 50 hours combined

Let me know if you need any more information regarding my fake reverse application! Thank you <3
15 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Reverse Chance a Stressed Senior!!!

• GumbymomGumbymom 27428 replies142 postsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    College Budget? Geographical location preferences? Private or Public University? Small/Medium or Large school? Intended Major?
    · Reply · Share
  • ashleykashleyk 9 replies2 postsRegistered User New Member
    Sorry!! Tuition nor Private/Public are not huge deciding factors in application for me right now. I’d prefer a medium to large sized school in a suburban/urban/city area. However, I’m open to applying to schools that don’t fit these standards. I intend to pursue a pre-med track, majoring in neuroscience/biochemistry/biology. Thank you for your reply.
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2305 replies30 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 14
    3 schools that come into my mind that might work would be Vanderbilt, Rice, and Washington University in St. Louis. All 3 schools tend to look at test scores more than most schools in their range and all 3 are known for top pre-med programs. Rice is the only one that doesn’t have an affiliated medical school, but Baylor Medical School is located in Houston.

Other schools to consider would be Case Western, Emory, and Rochester. Those are more targets than the first 3 I mentioned, but your GPA/test scores are well in line for the first 3 plus you may have the geographic diversity advantage (from Hawaii with test scores well above the state norm).

You could be viable for Ivies as well. You might be well suited for Brown.

You don’t need to take another SAT. Your 36 ACT is golden and your SAT score is just your confirmation score to advance from NMSF->NMF.
    edited August 14
    · Reply · Share
  • joecollege44joecollege44 55 replies3 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    as the last poster said, don't waste your time with taking the SAT again. Don't submit it- just submit that perfect ACT score.
    Rookie mistake!
    I would also think about NYU as a relative safety.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you so much for both of your replies! I truly appreciate your school suggestions and will be sure to look into those more with my family and teachers. Unfortunately, I’ve been studying for the SAT, and my parents are expecting me to take it. I signed up for it prior to having my ACT score released. Hopefully, I’ll at least see a slight increase in my score to justify this!

I’ve been also looking into the BS/MD programs many schools have to offer. I know I am not by any means a perfect student, but I was wondering if I should apply to a few, and if so, which would be “realistic” (despite them all being extremely competitive!) for me.

Thank you again for all of your time and input!!
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2305 replies30 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Brown PLME might be worth a chance. It’s a reach for anyone, but why not take a chance?

Another school to consider if distance isn’t an issue is Johns Hopkins.

· Reply · Share
  • Undecided3494Undecided3494 165 replies7 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I'm in a BSMD program and I was in your situation 3 years ago when applying to college. I had no real idea about BSMD programs, but got a lot of help from the thread for that year's BSMD application cycle. I would advise you to look at the thread for this year's admissions cycle. Your profile is competitive for BSMD, so definitely look into them a little bit more but only if you are completely sure you want to do medicine otherwise it is a waste of your time and effort to apply.
    · Reply · Share
    Awesome! Thank you so much for the recommendations. I’ve been looking into PLME and have fallen in love with Brown when I visited this past Spring. Johns Hopkins has also been a dream of mine since middle school!!
    · Reply · Share
    I know I’ve been wanting to go into medicine for a while now and will definitely take a look into the BSMD thread on this site. I am extremely thankful for all of your help :blush:
    · Reply · Share
  • DCCAWAMIIAILDCCAWAMIIAIL 106 replies3 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    There is the Rice / Baylor Medical Scholars Program but they only accept 6 students per year!

https://admission.rice.edu/apply/freshman/ricebaylor-medical-scholars
    · Reply · Share
  • Gogreen19Gogreen19 24 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Hey, so I was just wondering if you want to do solely premed through all four years or if you're looking to take courses from other fields as well? You see, some of the schools you've been recommended are universities (Brown) with liberal arts curriculums at the undergrad level, meaning that they like students who are interested in a more diverse education, taking courses in varied fields besides their concentration. Others emphasize a more vocational/pre-professional education at the undergrad where you will go deeply into you specialization(s) but not really be able to explore courses outside of that. This will help determine which universities you would have a preferable undergrad education at as opposed to others.

No doubt you are qualified and could fit into schools at either category, but your list should really be colleges that emphasize the kind of education you want out of your undergraduate years.
    · Reply · Share
  • Gogreen19Gogreen19 24 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Also, you said you had a weighted GPA of 4.29. Is that out of 5 or 4.3?
    · Reply · Share
    @Gogreen19 Oh, I see. I would like to attend a college where I would be able to take courses outside of the pre-professional track, if possible. However, knowing that one of my largest goals has been to go to medical school, I feel that I will be able to adapt to whichever institution I might attend. Please do recommend both, so I will be able to do further research! Thank you!
    · Reply · Share
    Also, the weighted GPA is out of 4, with APs counting for a 1.0 boost, and honors courses counting for a 0.5 boost (given that you’ve received a B or higher).
    · Reply · Share
    Bump ^ :blush:
    · Reply · Share