right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Study Reveals Which States Have Highest, Lowest In-State Tuition

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 28 replies254 threadsEditor Editor
A new report outlines the states where public colleges cost the most, and the least. https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/tuition/
41 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Study Reveals Which States Have Highest, Lowest In-State Tuition

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77784 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    From the article linked by the linked article:

10 most expensive: NH PA VT MA SC OH CO VA CT SD
    10 least expensive: WV NM AK NY IN UT CA NC WA TX

The rankings appear to be based on average net price (e.g. $10,389 for WV, $22,090 for NH). However, average net price could be affected by student SES demographics, so that two colleges with similar price and financial aid policies may have different average net prices if one has students from poorer families than the other.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20883 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The main campus of UNH - Durham, undergrad tuition & room/board:

NH Resident Non-Resident
    Tuition & Fees $18,499 $33,879
    Room & Board* $11,580 $11,580
    Total $30,079 $45,459

*Room & Board amount is based on double occupancy room and core meal plan

https://admissions.unh.edu/tuitionfees
    · Reply · Share
  • squ1rrelsqu1rrel 364 replies25 threadsRegistered User Member
    That feel when you live in New Hampshire and UNH is your one safety school
    · Reply · Share
  • GregmacdGregmacd 100 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited August 16
    Looking at the price of Tuition & Fees (TF), but ignoring Room & Board (RB), is like booking a vacation based on airfare without considering the cost of hotels and car rental. For example:
    * UT is the 6th cheapest on the list. However, when considering TF & RB it is actually the cheapest at $20,418.
    * CA is the 7th cheapest on the list. However, when considering TF & RB it is $28,058, which is more expensive than MA, which is the 4th most expensive on the list.

I think this list would only be useful if it was resorted to show the full cost of TF & RB, which would probably show that UT is #1 and CA is #48 when it comes to overall costs. Right now it looks like UT is #6 and CA is #7.

edited August 16
    · Reply · Share
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad 33085 replies3756 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Even though the title of the article has tuition in it, the article is really about lowest Net Price which includes Room, Board and Fees.
    · Reply · Share
  • GregmacdGregmacd 100 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Erin'sDad That's a good point. I guess the article does make sense for someone that expects to pay the average Net Price. If you don't qualify for financial aid, it makes sense to look at the Total Price.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22703 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wyoming isn't listed and its instate tuition is under $5000. It is usually ranked either #1 or #2 for lowest instate tuition. Room and board also low; the RB for my Wyoming daughter was $5000 less than for her sister at another college with a similar COL
    · Reply · Share
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad 419 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    It flattens out pretty quickly: while the ends are $12k apart the middle 30 states only span about $4k.

1 NH $22089
    11 AL $17059
    21 MI $15047
    31 MT $14012
    41 TX $12837
    50 WV $10389
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 3989 replies86 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    A large majority of students who attend the CSUs in California live at home.
    · Reply · Share
  • CreeklandCreekland 5754 replies89 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Knowing what PA is like, I feel for NH. With PA, one also can't get a superb engineering degree at our basic state schools. Penn St is considerably more expensive and well known for being stingy with aid.

Two of my three lads had their least expensive options come from private schools. The third would have been less expensive at a state school (stats weren't as high), but none had the major he wanted.

Those of you in good education states - enjoy!
    · Reply · Share
  • 3sonsmom3sonsmom 260 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    As a NJ resident, where is NJ on the list? I thought we were near the top for most expensive?! NH, PA and NJ or so I thought 💭
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1526 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It would also be interesting to see this comparison for each of the state flagships, as those appear to often be more expensive than the average.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22703 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I believe these are for the flagships. If not, Colorado's numbers are way off since Boulder is a lot more expensive than other state schools, and these numbers seem to be about right for CU.

For the least expensive, they don't include WY, ND, SD. Maybe they required a certain size, but UVM is the same size as Wyo. Those are 3 of the cheapest flagships.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77784 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 17
    For the least expensive, they don't include WY, ND, SD. Maybe they required a certain size, but UVM is the same size as Wyo. Those are 3 of the cheapest flagships.

SD is actually the 10th "most expensive" in the list. But note that the list is based on average net price, not list price tuition.
    edited August 17
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7773 replies80 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Surprised that Arizona did not make the lowest cost list.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1185 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @3sonsmom NJ schools all give merit, so a student with decent stats easily gets under $20k/year.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3sonsmom3sonsmom 260 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @NJWrestlingmom I think I’ll go look at their 2018 TCNJ acceptance letters. They aren’t attending but I’ll see what was offered. I still thought NJ was in top 5 most expensive.
    · Reply · Share
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us 1268 replies40 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I find that list odd. What do you think they mean by net price?
    · Reply · Share
  • tk21769tk21769 10648 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member

This study may be interesting from a public policy perspective, but not super helpful to someone building a college list. Your own in-state public schools, almost regardless of the state, are likely to have some of the lowest available sticker prices (for YOU). But once you factor in financial aid, the cost picture could change dramatically.
    · Reply · Share