right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Majors that combine music and applied math/computer science(data sciences)

tugogitugogi 19 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Hello All,
I have a child that is a musician, plays double bass, got selected to an elite youth orchestra in the area(San Francisco Symphony youth orchestra). interested in pursuing a combination( double major or major,minor) of music(performance) and either computer science or applied math as another major. I have heard that there are some colleges that started offering concentrations that combine music and math or music and computer science in the college of arts and sciences. It is more like music combine with data sciences. Any idea which colleges offer such concentrations and any information on schools that offer pre-college classes in the area I have mentioned so that the student has an introduction to that type of field.
Thank you in advance.
14 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Majors that combine music and applied math/computer science(data sciences)

• squ1rrelsqu1rrel 364 replies25 threadsRegistered User Member
  • circuitridercircuitrider 3367 replies168 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It sounds like something one should be able to create with the help of a faculty advisor at Wesleyan:
    https://www.wesleyan.edu/music/ensembles/experimental.html
    · Reply · Share
  • tugogitugogi 19 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Thank you!
    · Reply · Share
  • retiredfarmerretiredfarmer 1052 replies3 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) has a very different program structure and does offer Data Science major. To better understand the program start with https://www.wpi.edu/project-based-learning/wpi-plan

WPI has offered an MS in Data Science for some time and is launching a BS program in DS this Fall. See https://www.wpi.edu/news/worcester-polytechnic-institute-responds-demand-talent-data-science-workforce. Read about Prof. Elke Rudensteiner, Program Director, @ https://www.wpi.edu/people/faculty/rundenst

They offer a performance music minor. See https://www.wpi.edu/academics/study/music-minor

The average entering student for the University has a 3.9 GPA on an unweighted 4 point scale, It is a STEM University with four seven week terms and is built around undergraduate project research.
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 3977 replies86 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If you look close to home, the Music major is part of Letters and Sciences at Berkeley, so it would be pretty easy to combine a Music major with CS or DS. In fact I would say a large majority of Music majors are double majors in something else at Cal. Note that even if you specify a major when applying thru L&S, you go in as undeclared, so you have many options along the way.
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 29
    This small university's undergraduate enrollment includes 167 CA students. The Data Science program director has her PhD from UC, Irvine and has over 400 reviewed/published papers.

We did have a surfer off the rocky coast of Maine this spring. I hope this is not a harbinger of Climate change! Maine Lobster are still available.
    edited August 29
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you. I will look into WPI
    · Reply · Share
    Professorplum168, Thank you for the Cal info. So when applying to Cal, how to input that on the application? double major 1)music performance and 2) leave the second field undeclared.
    · Reply · Share
    Retiredfarmer, thank you for the update about the small university program, is this from Weslyan?
    · Reply · Share
    NVm retiredfarmer, you meant WPI.
    · Reply · Share
    Now that I have so much expertise on this thread, I would like to ask one more question. My student finished a music theory class from the local community college this summer. Would like to take the AP music theory exam, but since our high school neither offers the class nor administers the test, we have to look at other schools that offer. But the problem is that I have contacted pretty much all the public/private schools within a 25-mile radius of our zip code and no one wants to permit an outside student to take the AP test at their campus. How important is it for the college application to take the AP music theory. Is the community college class considered equivalent to the AP test?
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 3977 replies86 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    tugogi wrote: »
    Professorplum168, Thank you for the Cal info. So when applying to Cal, how to input that on the application? double major 1)music performance and 2) leave the second field undeclared.

For UC-Berkeley, it doesn't really matter (theoretically) what major you put in for Letters and Sciences since you go in as undeclared. For the application, I think there is only one major you can choose from (can't remember) - you would just put in one major, say Music. Once you are accepted, you then can begin the process of planning with the double major. For Music, you can only declare after taking 3 required classes with a 2.0+ GPA from these 3 classes, plus place into a suitable performance class. At the same time, you can start taking CS or DS classes as well. For example, for the CS track, there are numerous Lower Division classes that need to be taken i.e. Calculus (Math 1A and 1B), CS classes (CS 61A, CS 61B, etc) and other classes. To declare for CS (L&S version) for example, you need to have a 3.30 GPA in your first 3 requisite CS classes. For Data Science, to declare you need to have a 2.0 in the requisite classes CS C8 (Data 8), Linear Algebra, and CS 61A, plus have completed Calculus plus CS 61B, before you can declare.
    · Reply · Share
  • ultimomultimom 142 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @tugogi

Yes, I meant WPI. Retired farmer is cutting wood for the Maine Winter... sorry regarding delay!
    · Reply · Share