right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Best colleges for Human-Centered Design?

citylife07citylife07 6 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Hi! I want to pursue a career as a UX Designer or something similar to it and major in Human Computer Interaction/Human-Centered Design. I’ve been looking at different universities and individually checking their rankings and programs, but I’m still unsure of which university to go with. Can any of you offer some advice on which colleges are best for what I want to pursue?

My stats:
GPA: 3.9 (unweighted), 4.2 (weighted), I’m ranked #5 out of 105 in my class.
SAT: 1110 (I’ve only taken it once and I didn’t study, but I’ve enrolled for every SAT until the end of 2019 and I estimate that I’ll get around a 1300-1350).
State of Residence: Florida
Extracurriculars: I have nearly 300 community service hours and am my school’s secretary for Interact Club, I’m part of National Honor Society, co-founder of our school’s art club, and in the Book fair committee (there’s barely any clubs offered at my school).
Other information: I took one AP class and got a 5, but didn’t like how the classes were structured so I’ve been taking Dual Enrollment and honors courses instead.
Budget: Collegeboard says that my family’s EFC is around $9,000, so my budget is usually paying that much out of pocket, and then paying for the rest of my tuition with scholarships, while trying to stay under 30,000.

Also here are some universities I’ve considered:
University of Washington
Depaul University
Rochester Institute of Technology
Florida Atlantic University
Florida State University

Also for any colleges recommended it’s okay if it seems out of my range because of my SAT, I know if I apply myself I’ll get at least a 1300. Just as long as the colleges aren’t something way out of my reach such as a 1400+ SAT range, I’m open to trying my chances for the school. Thank you !
edited August 20
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Best colleges for Human-Centered Design?

• TheodenTheoden 172 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Generally speaking, it's harder to find an undergrad major in this. Usually, people get their Master's and the coveted degree is in Human Computer Interaction usually from Carnegie-Mellong, U Michican - Ann Arbor or Georgia Tech - all of which are pretty expensive at the Master's level.

I've heard good things about the DePaul program and U Washington.

Here's a list: https://uxmastery.com/resources/ux-degrees/

There are some schools that offer a comp sci degree with a twist in HCI or human centered design. Also some schools offer some majors that are "catch all" for specific CS related disciplines like AI, Machine Learning and HCI. For example, take a look at the Integrative Informatics major at Allegheny College, though it seems a little light on HCI. They offer great merit aid and need based aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • citylife07citylife07 6 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Thank you for the response! I’ve researched a bit more about both UDub and Depaul and I think I’m gonna go with Depaul. Thank you for the link as well, it was very helpful!
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41780 replies450 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    UDub won't be financially doable.
    Cornell's CALS has such a major
    UCincinnati's program is hard to find = look under CECH then SIT. Good scholarships and co-ops but try to raise your sat as much as possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • allhailcorporateallhailcorporate 39 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Consider New College of Florida. It's the state public honors college, as well as a LAC, and there is a "make your own major" thing going on there. They have a master's program in data science and I personally know a few people whose focus was in machine learning. I also know one person who made their own major that sounds a little bit like what you're describing - he called his "creative technologies", I think.

You sound like you really want to be "in charge" of your education and New College's whole philosophy is that students should be independent and determine their own educational focus and path. It's also a really intellectual environment. I strongly recommend it.
    · Reply · Share