right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Aviation (flight) and Aerospace

db4500db4500 0 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
Which are the best schools
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Aviation (flight) and Aerospace

• Eeyore123Eeyore123 1388 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    US Air Force Academy and US Navel Academy
    · Reply · Share
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad 33085 replies3756 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Embry Riddle, Bowling Green State
    · Reply · Share
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad 419 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited August 28
    Coast Guard Academy too for aviation!

Honestly when my DD came to me in seventh grade with a dream to fly my immediate response what "Great! Which branch?" She was confused for a while and then went off to research.

You need a pile of cash above and beyond tuition to get all the way to a useful commercial pilots license, like many tens of thousands of dollars more. Think of it as $40-60k in lab fees. And from that perspective take a look at the desperation of the airlines driving a bit of flexibility in their search criteria and then start thinking about U of North Dakota or some of the other less expensive programs in (ahem) fly-over country. UND has a very good program, no mistake, but you can get a degree from a Western Michigan that costs less than Embry Riddle and also gets you a good job. I was talking to a guy a couple weeks ago who does pilot hiring for Delta and he knows one person who went from high school to a decent flying job in five years by attending a midwestern school and taking on the debt. It's not for everyone, but the days of paying your dues in Wichita for five years at $28500 are gone (at least for now.)

Also, aerospace is different, in that they pay you for gradual school and a good job. But take a hard look at the academies if you want to fly.
    edited August 28
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7001 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Purdue has great programs in both.
    · Reply · Share
  • txstellatxstella 1095 replies5 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The Ohio State University
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 807 replies10 threadsRegistered User Member
    Purdue, the “Cradle of Astronauts”, has a top 5 Aero program a top aviation program ( https://www.thebestcolleges.org/rankings/the-top-10-colleges-for-aviation-degrees/) and an airport on campus.
    · Reply · Share