right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Level of colleges you would expect me to get into

hello9976hello9976 17 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Hello,

I know my discussion title is very broad, but what I seek to gain here is an estimate of what types of colleges I would get into (maybe name a college to kind of get an idea of the level). For example, you could say UCLA-level (which would be approximately the same as UCB-level), or you could say UCI-level (so colleges like UCSB, UCD, UCSD), or you could just name a college so I could kind of feel what level it is. I'm probably going to apply as a finance major (so maybe actuarial sciences) or something along those lines. I also love programming aka software engineering and dedicate a lot of time to it. Also, I'm a junior. I live in California but am open to out of state colleges (private or public).

My courses:
9th grade: Math 2+ H, Eng 1 H, Bio H, History H, PE, Spanish 1 H
10th: AP Stats (5), AP Psych (5), Eng 2 H, Chem H, Spanish 2 H, PE
11th: AP Lang, APUSH, AP CSP, Physics H, Spanish 3, Math Analysis/Calc A (also going to self-study Calc B so I can take AP Calc AB)
12th: AP Lit, AP Calc BC, AP Physics, AP Chem, Artificial Intelligence, Civics/Econ, Photography (b/c I need 1 year of art credit)

GPA: I don't really know that yet, but I had all A's in 9th grade and 1 B in AP Psych in 10th grade.

EC's:
Programming:
7th gr - 9th gr: entering myself into the software world. I learned all sorts of programming languages and techniques throughout those two years.
9th gr - 10th gr: shadowed mom's job as a software developer at a software company. In addition, I helped her with various tasks and even increased my knowledge.
10th-grade summer: offered a summer paid internship position at the same company.
11th grade (so far): planning on continuing the internship throughout the school year (they said I could). I work on it max 3hrs/weekday and 8hrs/day on weekends b/c I'm not allowed to work on it more. I feel like at the end of this year, if they are impressed with my work, they would make my internship a job (they=boss). Side note: I still help my mom with her work/job.

Volunteering:
10th gr May - Aug: volunteered ~ 100 hours (usually 3-10hr/wk) at an afterschool academy. However, I can't volunteer this year b/c the PTA shut it down due to lower funds. It may happen next summer though.

Club: 10th - 11th
I'm part of this club that advocates for animal rights. I joined last year and attended the meetings. This year, I'm Secretary and am planning the different places we will volunteer at.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
16 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Level of colleges you would expect me to get into

• hello9976hello9976 17 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I also have a 1550 SAT.
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 3978 replies86 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Sounds like you are in 11th grade. I would check back towards the end of 11th grade but sounds like the top tier (Berkeley, UCLA), if that’s the type of schools you are looking at, are definitely possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 10254 replies155 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If you'd like to survey colleges based on your chances of admission, then you'll probably be most interested in a range from about Penn (#17) to about Richmond (#74) on a list like that below. (Note that the scores posted in the analysis originated from a former version of the exam, so be sure to compare to currently available figures).

https://amp.businessinsider.com/the-610-smartest-colleges-in-america-2015-9
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom 27636 replies148 threadsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    UC’s do not use 9th grades in their GPA calculation. Below is the UC GPA calculator which will give you your Unweighted UC GPA, Capped Weighted UC GPA and Fully weighted UC GPA. You need to wait until end of 11 th grade to determine your GPA and if is competitive. Your SAT is very competitive and if your GPA is equally competitive you have a chance at the top UC’s

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
    UCB: 4.23
    UCLA: 4.25
    UCSD: 4.23
    UCSB: 4.16
    UCI: 4.13
    UCD: 4.13
    UCSC: 3.96
    UCR: 3.90
    UCM: 3.73

2019 Data:
    25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
    UCB: 1340-1540
    UCLA: 1330-1550
    UCSD: 1300-1520
    UCSB: 1280-1520
    UCD: 1230-1490
    UCI: 1250-1510
    UCSC: 1200-1450
    UCR: 1130-1400
    UCM: 1020-1290
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33430 replies363 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Get some experience beyond working for mom's company, probably related to finance. Look for comm service beyond working with little kids (don't stop because they shut down the program.) And make certain you know what the recommended coursework is, to any targets.
    · Reply · Share
    @lookingforward Hi, what kind of community service should I look into? Any examples?
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33430 replies363 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    In my view, what comm service does is show you're aware of the need around you and choose to get involved. So, what need is around you? Preferably, for people, direct, not just something you amble into, for an hour or two. Rolling up your sleeves, getting down to it. Doesn't need to be every week, but you commit over time.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77686 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    hello9976 wrote: »
    GPA: I don't really know that yet, but I had all A's in 9th grade and 1 B in AP Psych in 10th grade.

GPA calculation on the usual 4 point scale should be simple math.

However, the GPA used for UC admissions has special rules for what is included: basically semester grades in 10th-11th grade courses in the a-g course list, with +1 for A, B, C grades in UC-listed honors courses and AP courses (up to 8 semesters' worth for the weighted-capped version that is used in most UC contexts).
    · Reply · Share
    Okay, what about privates? And any out-of-states? Which colleges do you think would be kind of "target" for me?
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 3978 replies86 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    There are dozens of colleges that might be a good fit, but you have to set some parameters. Budget is one, location might be another.
    · Reply · Share
    Are there any colleges you can think of off the top of your head? I do not really know any restrictions yet.
    · Reply · Share
    NYU, Indiana, Michigan, Penn, UT-Austin all have fantastic B-schools that come to mind. But you need to have safeties as well, of which there are tons of candidates.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29210 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What are your parents willing and able to pay?
    · Reply · Share
    They will probably pay up to 25k per year, but with my SAT (780 R, 770 M) and gpa (4.5+), I'm hoping to get a merit scholarship... at least that what's one of my counselors told me.
    · Reply · Share
  • HippobirdyHippobirdy 320 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    You may be interested in Arizona State University/honors , or University of Arizona. See some of other threads in financial aid forum on merit. Miami University in OH. Also, I agree with Richmond as a possibility.
    · Reply · Share
    Well, your budget is a HUGE restriction. Forget all the OOS schools that I mentioned. You’re looking at instate public schools or schools that are generous with merit. Plenty of threads on this. Also what is your parents’ EFC?
    · Reply · Share