right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Photography Major with Test-out or Work Experience Options?

icor1031icor1031 100 replies33 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
edited September 10 in College Search & Selection
This (link below) is my school, but I'm not taking their photography program. After not too long, I'll have my (other) undergrad degrees from FHSU.

https://www.fhsu.edu/art-and-design/academic-programs/bfa-photography

I noticed that the concentration coursework is mostly material that I already know, as a studio and outdoor portrait photographer.

That got me wondering: are there any photography majors from which I could mostly test out of, or get credit for work experience?
edited September 10
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Photography Major with Test-out or Work Experience Options?

• happymomof1happymomof1 29579 replies172 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Why do you want/need a photography major on a college diploma? In many cases, all that is needed to get professional work is a good portfolio.
    · Reply · Share
  • icor1031icor1031 100 replies33 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Why do you want/need a photography major on a college diploma? In many cases, all that is needed to get professional work is a good portfolio.

It's just cool to have. I'd say I'm among the top three portraitists in my area, so it's not about that.

If I can get one with minimal effort, I figure: why not? Hence the need for testing out or etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29579 replies172 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If you read through the full list of courses required for the degree program, you will see that more than just a photography portfolio is required. Some places might give you advanced placement for your portfolio, but you can just about bet that you would still need to take all of the Art History, Drawing, and 2D/3D design classes.
    · Reply · Share