right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Times World Ranking 2020

RiversiderRiversider 791 replies90 threadsRegistered User Member
edited September 12 in College Search & Selection
As these rankings are based upon number of publications, bigger universities with post graduate/professional schools are at an advantage.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2020/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats
edited September 12
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Times World Ranking 2020

• tk21769tk21769 10649 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Methodology:
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/methodology-world-university-rankings-2020
    In several of the factors, adjustments are made for institution size or for the scale of activity in various disciplines.
    · Reply · Share
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad 1844 replies70 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 12
    Just a couple things that immediately struck me about the 2020 THE rankings:

1) How did Cal Tech go from 5th last year to 2nd in just one year?

2) How did Princeton surpass Harvard this year given much smaller scale grad schools where research outputs are based from? Heck, Princeton doesn't even have Law, Medical and Business schools....

I don't pay much attention to any rankings except for entertainment purposes, but these two things just jumped out at me.
    edited September 12
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 3990 replies86 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    This ranking takes out the fluff/manipulatable stuff found in the US News one (Pell Grants, Social Mobility, Alumni Donations, test scores) and focuses more on the pure educational/reseaarch aspect of things which is in my view more accurate. These rankings are still more for discussion more than anything - major rankings make more sense to me for making any determinations.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1NJParent1NJParent 1274 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 12
    How did Cal Tech go from 5th last year to 2nd in just one year?
    According to Times Higher Education:
    Caltech has risen three positions to second place in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020, after an improvement in its score for international staff. This international boost means it is now one of just two institutions in the ranking to achieve a score of over 80 out of 100 in all five areas underpinning the methodology: teaching, research, citation impact, knowledge transfer and international outlook.
    Why is international outlook (including international staff) is important? Again, according to Times Higher Education:
    The ability of a university to attract undergraduates, postgraduates and faculty from all over the planet is key to its success on the world stage.
    edited September 12
    · Reply · Share
  • rjkofnovirjkofnovi 10439 replies109 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Hmmm. A British publication has two of the top three schools and three of the top ten located in England. No bias there......
    · Reply · Share
  • warblersrulewarblersrule 10000 replies170 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited September 12
    ^
    Imperial seems to be the real winner. Compared to the AWRU ranking, Cambridge and UCL rank the same, Oxford ranks a little higher (+6), and Imperial ranks noticeably higher (+13).

THES

#1 Oxford
    #3 Cambridge
    #10 Imperial
    #15 UCL

AWRU

#3 Cambridge
    #7 Oxford
    #15 UCL
    #23 Imperial
    edited September 12
    · Reply · Share
  • CU123CU123 3543 replies65 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 12
    @ProfessorPlum168 except it adds this fluffy thing called “international outlook”, probably something that really helps Oxford and Cambridge. I wonder if it would help them if they included EU students as domestic. I doubt this criteria would be as beneficial if they did.
    edited September 12
    · Reply · Share
  • 1NJParent1NJParent 1274 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If sorted by teaching, the top 10 are:
    1. Stanford
    2. Caltech
    3. Yale
    4. Cambridge
    5. MIT
    6. Oxford
    7. Princeton
    8. Harvard
    9. UChicago
    10. Peking U

If sorted by research, the top 10 are:
    1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. Harvard
    4. Caltech
    5. Stanford
    6. Princeton
    7. Yale
    8. Tsinghua U
    9. ETH Zurich
    10. MIT

Rankings of UK universities are helped by research, in addition to international outlook.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 808 replies10 threadsRegistered User Member
    I love the “The only university ranking to be independently audited by professional services firm PricewaterhouseCoopers”. Basically means they checked that the numbers were collected and added up correctly. Nothing about how valid/applicable the data is.

More UK-based journals taking publication from fewer UK universities helps them.
    · Reply · Share
  • tk21769tk21769 10649 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ... this fluffy thing called “international outlook” ...

This factor struck me, too, as a little "fluffy" at first.
    However, if you're trying to measure both the quality/quantity of knowledge discovery, and also its global impact, then maybe it makes sense to try to capture that. After all, this is a "world" ranking.
    · Reply · Share