right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Should I go to a free college or one best for my major?

citylife07citylife07 7 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Hi, I live in Florida and qualify for the full ride bright futures scholarship to any public university instate but all of my dream schools are based in Illinois, Washington, New York, etc. So my question is, would it be better to stay instate and go to a college that’s not so prestigious for my major or go out of state to a well known college but have to take out student loans. I’m thinking of getting my masters as well in the future and I want to go into Human Computer Interaction/Computer Science/UX/Information Technology if that’s any help. Thank you :smile:
13 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I go to a free college or one best for my major?

• onthewestfenceonthewestfence 240 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @citylife07 Take advantage of the full ride in state and save your money/loans for grad school. UF, FSU, UCF, and USF are good choices. If you prefer a smaller public LAC, New College of Florida in Sarasota and Harriet Wilkes Honors College in Jupiter may fit the bill. There are many out there who would love to have your FL options.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22965 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78229 replies690 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Since it seems that money is limited and debt is in the question, free seems like the more obvious choice.
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2184 replies3 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It's a no-brainer. Take the scholarship and run
    · Reply · Share
  • chaphillmomchaphillmom 56 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Agree with the above...if you can avoid student loans and debt, you will be in a much better place.
    · Reply · Share
  • citylife07citylife07 7 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @juillet thank you for your response! if you don’t mind me asking do you think an undergrad in computer science would be a strong enough base for a graduate degree in hci later on? i was thinking of maybe doing my undergrad at ucf because i get guaranteed admission with their 10 knights program and i heard theyre #1 in north america in a worldwide coding contest but im not sure if ucf is as credible as other schools..
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 1717 replies26 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Take the free deal. This will help you more than you can imagine.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41878 replies451 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited October 8
    If the free deal is UCF+ Burnett honors college, take the free deal. :)
    Email the Honors college and ask if there are domestic or Foreign exchange programs to universities especially reknown for CS.

If you feel like it, apply to a few reaches so you have no regrets but it'll be hard to beat the free deal + top U/Honors college.
    (Make sure that you live on campus in Honors dorm to have the full experience and interact with peers, even if your hose is 15mn away).
    edited October 8
    · Reply · Share
  • palmtree233palmtree233 6 replies3 threadsRegistered User New Member
    A full ride is nothing to pass over. "Dream" schools will still be there for graduate work, but you will not rack up nearly as much debt. Education is an investment and it is important to think long-term. In the long run, less debt will be more beneficial than a "dream" school for undergrad.
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12658 replies161 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    @citylife07 - Yes, lots of people in HCI have a computer science undergrad degree. It's one of the most common undergraduate majors for HCI folks, especially if you want to be more on the design side. But also take lots of psychology classes (and consider minoring in it).

UCF is a great school. My cousin just transferred there and she loves it.
    · Reply · Share