right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Research in Humanities?

Kiwi2020Kiwi2020 10 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
Is it a normal thing for colleges to offer research opportunities in any of their offered majors? More specifically to offer research opportunities in not just the STEM majors but the humanities as well?

I'm wondering because the University of Wisconsin- Madison offers this, and I might want to say something in my "Why Madison?" essay if it is something unique to this college.

Thank you!
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Research in Humanities?

• scmom12scmom12 3112 replies21 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    D2’s school did. I doubt it is unique but still can be a reason you like the school.
    · Reply · Share
  • vonlostvonlost 18782 replies14411 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    If a school offers/requires a senior thesis in a major, the school supports that research.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12871 replies242 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It is not unique to do research in the humanities, not at all. That's how knowledge advances in most all fields!

But UW Madison might have some paid research program in summer or a thesis requirement that is unique?
    · Reply · Share
  • warblersrulewarblersrule 10022 replies171 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited September 16
    Most of the top colleges offer strong support to undergraduates interested in research in STEM fields, but institutional support for students interested in the humanities is highly variable. It's not uncommon for colleges to dedicate the bulk of their undergraduate research fellowships and mentoring programs to science and engineering majors. For example, Yale's undergraduate research page addresses only STEM students.

https://undergradresearch.yale.edu/

Investigate the funded research opportunities at each school of interest, including Wisconsin. If Wisky has a research program set up specifically for humanities majors, that's great.
    edited September 16
    Post edited by warblersrule on
    · Reply · Share
  • Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek 4577 replies56 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not unique at my kids' state publics. My dd is majoring in a humanities field at USCarolina and is participating in funded (paid) research. I know kids at Bama who also did humanities research.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheodenTheoden 198 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    It's not unique. Lots of Liberal Arts Colleges require a research thesis for all majors.
    · Reply · Share
  • Kiwi2020Kiwi2020 10 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Thanks for all of your comments. It helped me a lot!

Have a great day!
    · Reply · Share