right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What colleges seem fit for me?

sweaterweatherrsweaterweatherr 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
I am a middle class white female from Long Island, New York and a senior in high school beginning the application process. I will list some of my stats and interests, please reply with suggestions/realistic advice.

I want to major in math but Im not sure if I want to go on a finance path or engineering, so I want a school with both programs. I like being around others with similar academic levels as me, but I also value my social life and want to go to parties, night life, various activities, etc. I don't want a school with predominantly "geeky" kids. Right now UPenn is my top and I'm also looking at UMich, Cornell, WashU, Emory, Vanderbilt, UVA. safetys are Binghamton and Maryland. I like a medium/big school with things to do around the area, but I don't want a city school. I also need either merit or financial aid in order to attend. Please let me know what you think my chances are for these schools, and any other schools you think would be fit for me.

Stats
SAT: 1540
SAT 2: 770 Math 2, 720 chemistry
GPA: 101.38 (weighted)
Top 5% of class of approx 400
AP Scores: World History (5), Seminar (5), Statistics (5), US History (5), Physics (5), Lang (5)
Senior Course load: AP Lit, AP Macroeconomics, AP Physics C, BC Calculus, Wind Ensemble/Marching Band, AP Gov, AP French, College Accounting

Honors/Awards
nothing major, a placed at a few regional science fairs, National merit commended scholar, various small awards in French. biggest one is my Girl Scout Gold Award, but I am still finishing up the hours and finalizing it, so the title is pending.

Extracurriculars
Mathletes President, Science Honors Society vice president, Model UN chief chairperson, marching band and color guard, science research, 4 honors societies, leadership program called teens as leaders (board member), job at a law office, camp STEM counselor, have my own program doing STEM workshops with special needs kids

21 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What colleges seem fit for me?

• college_querycollege_query 4312 replies321 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Some of the institutions on your list may require to apply for admission to a specific school - for example, engineering OR business OR Arts & Sciences (for a math major), so you may not be able to keep all your options open.

Have you run the NPC for schools you are considering?

Would you consider a women's college? Smith has engineering and gives both need-based aid and merit aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • sweaterweatherrsweaterweatherr 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I'm applying as a math major (arts and sciences) but I want to have the option to switch to either engineering or business along the way like maybe sophmore/junior year so I want a school that has that available. I have run the NPC, but Im not sure how accurate it truly is. also, i dont think i would like a womens college, I definitely want a mix of genders but thanks for the advice
    · Reply · Share
  • twogirlstwogirls 7252 replies7 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 17
    The NPCs should be fairly accurate as long as your parents are not divorced/remarried, own their own business etc...and as long as you entered accurate information.

Did you discuss finances with your parents? How much will they pay? Can they pay their EFC at schools that meet full need?

Although I do think that you will be accepted to Maryland, I hesitate to call it a safety. There is no shortage of very strong students from Long Island applying there. There also isn’t big merit to be given to OOS students these days (generally speaking...there are always exceptions).

edited September 17
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2153 replies101 threadsForum Champion Williams College Forum Champion
    Lafayette, Lehigh, Union
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2534 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Case Western. It’s pretty flexible as you don’t apply to a specific division/school and it’s easy to change majors.
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 18
    Maryland will cost just under $50,000 a year to attend. How much merit will you need? If you received $8000, bringing the cost down to about $42,000....is that ok? I would not count on their full rides (or close to).

Look at the U of South Carolina Honors College...you might get enough merit. Ohio State is another one to add.

Take a look at Lehighs NPC. My daughter received significant merit there...but I am not sure if they still give out as much merit these days since they now meet need.

I sound like a broken record, but the reach schools you listed will give you an approximate cost based on what THEY think you could pay, and not what YOU think you can pay. If Vanderbilt comes in at $40,000 is that ok? What if it comes in at $50,000? Or more? That is why it is important to use the NPCs now...with your parents.

edited September 18
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 18
    You already posted this the other day.

In order for people to help you, we need to know how much your parents can spend on college. Did you use the NPCs for the schools you are interested in above and show the results to your parents? Schools that meet full need will expect you to pay your EFC. Have you discussed finances? You have some very expensive schools on this list.

How much merit do you need? $10,000? 30,000? What do you need the cost to come down to at Maryland?

You indicated that you need merit or financial aid, but seem reluctant to give us any more details. That makes it impossible to help you.

edited September 18
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74793 replies3278 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Does your family qualify for need based aid?

How much can your family pay annually?

You know that a bunch of the schools on your list don’t give any merit aid at all.
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 18
    You have 2 identical threads going on. Without answering these questions it will be very hard to help you. You said you did the NPCs...what did your parents say?
    edited September 18
    · Reply · Share
  • vonlostvonlost 18782 replies14411 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    Moderator's Note: The threads were merged.
    · Reply · Share
    @sweaterweatherr is Binghamton affordable for your family? Do you like it? If yes....it is an excellent safety. I would pick one more SUNY so that you have a choice come the spring.

Since you indicated that you need merit or financial aid, I am going to assume that your parents will pay for Binghamton. Any other school needs to come in at the approximate cost of SUNY. Not sure if I am correct, but this is what I will base my advice on since I have no other information. I may be totally off base.

Sit down with your parents and use the NPC on schools that meet full need. This includes the schools that you posted above...Michigan (meets need under $90,000 I believe), Penn, Cornell, WashU, Emory, UVA and Vanderbilt. You can also add Tulane (I think Tulane meets need but not sure), UNC, and Duke. UNC is a profile school but uses the Fafsa EFC. Also take a look at Lehigh. Ask your parents if these schools look reasonably affordable...do they come in at $25,000...or maybe $30,000? If yes, apply. If they come in at $50,000....or more...they will likely be too expensive for you. That’s a reality that many high stats students face. Many need financial aid but do not qualify for it. Keep in mind that all of these schools are reaches (Lehigh is more of a match...but you need to show a lot of interest). Some of these schools give very competitive full ride scholarships. Apply if you wish, but don’t count on them.

The next group of schools does not meet full need and they have competitive merit awards. This group includes Pitt, Ohio State, Maryland, etc. I suggested that you also apply to the U of South Carolina. Merit aid to these schools is not guaranteed. Apply...and see what happens. Maryland is not a safety. It costs just under $50,000 a year for out of state students. I live in the same geographic area as you...and high stats kids from our HS were getting $8000-$11000 in merit from Maryland in previous years. Is that enough for you? If the cost comes down to about $40,000 would your family be ok with it? Keep in mind that costs rise each year. While rising costs may not be an issue for you at schools that meet need, it would be an issue for you at schools that give you relatively small merit scholarships. Do not count on the BK award from Maryland...it’s extremely competitive.

The third group of schools are those that give guaranteed merit awards based on stats. Schools such as Alabama make this list, but there are some others.

This is all of the advice that I can provide for now, and I am basing it on your parents being able to afford SUNY. I might be wrong. It’s possible that they can pay a lot more...or a lot less. Nobody here knows because you have not answered any questions.

Remember...a safety is only a safety if it is affordable. Good luck!

· Reply · Share
    @twogirls it’s very possible that this OP can only afford SUNY schools because she is eligible for TAP. That would bring her out of pocket costs to a lower amount than what you indicated.

No way to know....because the OP hasn’t responded.

The most important thing this poster needs to do is find out from her parents what they will be able to contribute annually towards her college costs.
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 19
    Exactly...we don’t have this information because the OP has not responded. It’s too bad...because there are so many who can help.
    edited September 19
    · Reply · Share
  • HippobirdyHippobirdy 358 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    Agree that Maryland is not a safety.
    Miami OH has some merit.
    University of Delaware, merit shows up in net price calculator.
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2534 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    And one more thing (as Lt. Columbo would say), Math at WashU isn’t the greatest. Son’s friends there have complaints about the quality of the instructors.
    · Reply · Share
    @sweaterweatherr seems to have disappeared.
    · Reply · Share
  • sweaterweatherrsweaterweatherr 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Thanks for all the advice. SUNY prices definitely fall within my range but I am not interested in any except for Binghamton, and that isnt my top choice, but will do if necessary financially. I can probably still go to a school if the price comes in around $40k, maybe even $50k if its one of my tops but past that is too much. I know most of my schools dont typically give a lot of aid but I would like to apply just to see if maybe I can get something. Does UMass Amherst give money? Im thinking of applying there as a safety. My best bet would be financial/merit aid enough to make the cost similar to in state tuition, but I feel that is unlikely.
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 22
    I think you need to sit down with your parents and run the NPCs for the schools that are of interest to you. Ask your parents if the numbers look ok. The schools on your list that meet full need DO give aid...but it is based on their calculation of need. It is not based on what you want to pay. That’s why you need to run the NPCs.

Yes UMass Amherst does give merit money...not sure how much you would get.

edited September 22
    · Reply · Share
    @sweaterweatherr

Please answer these questions...

Does your family qualify for need based aid?

How much can your family pay annually?

Can your parents pay $40,000 a year?

Even if they can, the schools might calculate that your parents can pay more...because need based aid is based solely on income and assets.

You have great stats. You would get excellent merit aid at University of Alabama, guaranteed...and it would cost less than the SUNY schools.

What about Pitt? I know you say no City, but it’s a small city. But if you are interested in their merit aid...apply today!

· Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8930 replies334 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    My best bet would be financial/merit aid enough to make the cost similar to in state tuition, but I feel that is unlikely.

SUNYs cost ~$20k, not $40k, so if the budget your parents gave you is the cost of a SUNY a lot of schools on your list will be too expensive. You can borrow ~$5500/year, but that won't close the gap. Run the NPCs and don't waste your time and effort by applying to schools that are too expensive.
    · Reply · Share