right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Yale vs UChicago for Restrictive Early Action

mediaseniormediasenior 2 replies1 threads New Member
Hi there!

I'm interested in studying either business or journalism.

UChicago has a business path or even a journalism, arts, and media track (and I could study the traditional political science or economics with English).

Yale has an ethics, politics, and economics major which encompasses the necessary views of society for journalism or a career in business. They also have a journalism initiative (a program) that looks awesome.

Let me know statistically what seems more sound, and also in terms of overall school quality.

Warmly,
A Senior
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Yale vs UChicago for Restrictive Early Action

• BKSquaredBKSquared 1440 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Choose the school you feel is a better fit. If you like UChic better, apply ED unless knowing the exact amount of FA is critical since ED will provide a bigger bump as far as UChic is concerned.

By the way, you do not study business at Yale. Yale is a liberal arts college. Plenty of Yale grads go into business, Wall Street and Main Street, from a variety of majors. Some jumped straight in, others got MBA's, law degrees or graduate degrees along the way. Same thing with journalism, although most of my successful journalist friends went on to journalism school after undergrad.
    · Reply · Share
  • tk21769tk21769 10664 replies27 threads Senior Member
    ^ Ditto for UChicago. No undergraduate business major, no journalism major. In the past it's been strictly liberal arts. Though many grads do become successful in business or journalism.

I wonder what the "journalism, arts, and media track" is. Where is it listed among majors/minors?
    · Reply · Share
  • samsmom20samsmom20 19 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I don't believe UChicago early action is restricted. Applying EA there would allow you to apply EA to other schools that aren't restricted also.
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 10514 replies163 threads Senior Member
    edited October 14
    @tk21769: UCIJM appears to be one of UC's coordinated career development programs.

https://collegeadmissions.uchicago.edu/academics/areas-study/journalism-arts-and-media
    edited October 14
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2459 replies36 threads Senior Member
    UChicago does offer a business economics track within the economics department https://economics.uchicago.edu/content/undergraduate-program, as well as the Trott Business Program which is one of the UChicago Careers in Programs, like the journalism-arts-media offering above. https://careeradvancement.uchicago.edu/uchicago-careers-in/business
    · Reply · Share
  • tdy123tdy123 816 replies15 threads Member
    Hi there!

Let me know statistically what seems more sound, and also in terms of overall school quality.

It is unclear what you are asking the soundness of.

Is it the likelihood of being accepted if applying to either school having expressed interest in those specific programs?

Is it the value of either program for future career prospects?

If the latter, and if your internist in a journalistic career is focused on old-school east coast print media (WSJ, NYT, WAPO) I'd give the edge to Yale as Ivy alums are over represented there. Otherwise, probably doesn't make a difference.
    · Reply · Share
  • jzducoljzducol 745 replies12 threads Member
    edited October 15
    With Yale EA restricted the UChicago EA is essentially restricted too because you can only choose one between the two.

Unless hooked you do not want to EA Chicago. With Chicago's early round primarily going to ED, its EA is basically used for signaling to hooked candidates whom it tries very hard to recruit. Only if you happen to have primary interests in EA MIT and Caltech too does EA UChicago together make sense IMO.

So, really, it boils down to EA Yale (14%) or ED Chicago (28%, its my rough guess, because the mix EA/ED is 15%, EA is close to zero and has more apps)
    edited October 15
    · Reply · Share
  • mediaseniormediasenior 2 replies1 threads New Member
    So is there a greater chance of being accepted to Yale early action than UChicago?
    · Reply · Share
  • mediaseniormediasenior 2 replies1 threads New Member
    Thank you!

How do the campus cultures compare?
    · Reply · Share
  • CU123CU123 3611 replies69 threads Senior Member
    edited October 20
    For EA yes. My advice is to go SCEA to Yale, followed by ED2 to UChicago provided no early acceptance to Yale.
    edited October 20
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34514 replies383 threads Senior Member
    We don't even know if you match either school. How can we help anyone choose, without knowing if you have a shot at these?
    · Reply · Share