right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Best school for Psychology

LoganSJLoganSJ 1 replies1 threads New Member
What school has a psychology program that is not steeped in leftist, politicized ideology? I don't mind that there are such people with differing views but sometimes their passions create an acadmic environment which makes it difficult for students with other ideas to succeed. The mainstream psychology appears to have a worldview that each invidual falls into the category of victim or oppressor and there is little that a victim can do to alleviate his conditions without permission for those in the oppressor class. I want to study what behaviors possibly lead to success and how I can benchmark this and reach out to others to succeed.
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Best school for Psychology

• merc81merc81 10622 replies166 threads Senior Member
    I think you are largely misinterpreting the direction of modern psychology. Academic programs in psychology commonly rely on laboratory and fieldwork with an integration with the scientific method. Psychology departments that offer this approach are unlikely to be generally politicized.
    · Reply · Share
  • LoganSJLoganSJ 1 replies1 threads New Member
    From all indicators, psychology is following the other soft sciences down the path of assuming all ills, whether societal or individual, are a consequences of those that are "empowered" and not individual behavior. Besides being incorrect, this dangerous thinking creates the allsion of victims which have been deemed powerless to change their situation. This in turn means that nothing can be done on the individual level; rather, government solutions become necessary. Thus, psychology is politicized by those that use it as a justification for more government control. In the same, anthropology relegated itself to irrelevance as has sociology as they have nothing to add regarding solutions. I am searching for a school that earnestly identifies the root-cause of problems and attempts to find solutions.
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 15
    EM1100 wrote: »
    Perhaps philosophy would be more suited for your expectations.

Yes, John Galt studied philosophy (as well as physics).
    edited November 15
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 4614 replies18 threads Senior Member
  • elena13elena13 899 replies15 threads Member
    "From all indicators..." What indicators are you talking about regarding your view of the direction of the field of psychology? Where is your data? If you've already figured out what is correct or incorrect regarding the cause of individual ills, why do you need to go study that topic?
    Most of the Ph.D. academics in psychology who I know use research methods to investigate these questions and do not assume all personal ills are caused by "oppressors". Mental illnesses obviously have some genetic and environmental causes. The psychologists who are in the field providing evidence-based treatment also do not give clients the impression that they are "powerless to change their situation". Quite the contrary. I'm not sure where you are getting your information about modern psychology but I don't understand your conclusions.
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 15
    Regarding #5, the comment links to graduate department rankings, which offer potentially counter-productive information for students researching undergraduate colleges.
    edited November 15
    · Reply · Share
    Patrick Henry University?
    · Reply · Share
  • kidzncatzkidzncatz 1004 replies7 threads Senior Member
    If you are looking for a smaller, more conservative school, check out Hillsdale, Grove City, and Robert Morris. Many (most?) public flagships have professors and students with a wide spectrum of ideologies.
    · Reply · Share
  • vonlostvonlost 18839 replies14750 threads Super Moderator
    Check the Psychology column at https://www.reed.edu/ir/phd.html for PhD undergrad origins.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1805 replies13 threads Senior Member
    edited November 15
    LoganSJ wrote: »
    From all indicators, psychology is following the other soft sciences down the path of assuming all ills, whether societal or individual, are a consequences of those that are "empowered" and not individual behavior. Besides being incorrect, this dangerous thinking creates the allsion of victims which have been deemed powerless to change their situation. This in turn means that nothing can be done on the individual level; rather, government solutions become necessary. Thus, psychology is politicized by those that use it as a justification for more government control. In the same, anthropology relegated itself to irrelevance as has sociology as they have nothing to add regarding solutions. I am searching for a school that earnestly identifies the root-cause of problems and attempts to find solutions.

It seems that you already know everything that there is to be known about psychology. So I guess maybe you should find a different major.

Seriously, stating your uninformed opinions as though they are facts is pretty arrogant, not to mention presumptuous. With that attitude, it's unlikely that you'll learn anything or endear yourself to your professors at any college.

Your view of the entire field of psychology is not based on anything that you actually know, anything you have actually learned in psychology, or anything that you have ever even thought to analyze on your own. I'd really like to know what these "indicators" actually are and how do they indicate that "psychology" is how you claim it is.

You should dial back your arrogance by some 90%, accept that you are too uninformed to make these claims, be smart and critical enough to question claims that are based on questionable information and logical fallacies.

Go and study psychology at a good college, then you can decide whether you have these criticism. Don't make them on the basis of what you saw on YouTube or read in a book which cites no research.

I have many criticisms of psychology. However, they are based on a couple of decades of scientific research, knowledge of research methodology, statistics, and biology, not to mention reading research articles in psychology.

All that being said - nobody can actually give you advice about colleges, unless you give some info on your academics and standardized test scores.
    edited November 15
    · Reply · Share