right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Social Life--Fiske Guide To Colleges 2020 edition

PublisherPublisher 8764 replies101 threads Senior Member
The Fiske Guide To Colleges 2020 edition rates the Social Life of the 308 US colleges & universities and 9 foreign schools contained in its most recent guide.

Social Life ratings consist of one, two, three, four or five telephones.

From the Fiske Guide To Colleges 2020:

"SOCIAL LIFE--This is primarily a judgment about the amount of social life that is readily available. A rating of three telephones suggests a typical college social life, while four telephones means that the students devote an above-average amount of time to socializing. It can be assumed that a college with a rating of five [telephones] is something of a party school, which may or may not detract from the academic quality. Colleges with a rating below three have some impediment to a strong social life, such as geographic isolation, a high percentage of commuting students, or a disproportionate number of nerds who n ever leave the library. Once again, the reason should be evident from the write-up."

In alphabetical order, these are the 15 schools which received a 5 Telephone rating for Social Life ("may or may not be something of a party school") from the Fiske Guide To Colleges 2020 edition:

1) Arizona State University (ASU)--also received 5 Stars for Quality of Life

2) Univ. of Colorado--Boulder

3) Dartmouth College

4) Univ. of Dayton

5) Univ. of Delaware

6) Denison University

7) Univ. of Florida

8) Univ. of Georgia

9) Ithaca College

10) Lafayette College

11) Louisiana State Univ. (LSU) "many of the students here are partiers and social butterflies"

12) Univ. of New Hamphire (UNH)--also received 5 Stars for Quality of Life

13) Ohio Wesleyan University

14) Penn State

15) Univ. of Vermont--which also received 5 Stars for Quality of Life
32 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Social Life--Fiske Guide To Colleges 2020 edition

• chardonMNchardonMN 99 replies12 threads Junior Member
    Where does Tulane fall on that list?
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 8764 replies101 threads Senior Member
    At the other end of the Social Life spectrum are these 6 schools according to the Fiske Guide To Colleges 2020 edition.

The 6 schools which received a 1 (one) Star rating for Social Life are:

CalTech (California Institute of Technology)

The Cooper Union (about 856 fulltime students--located in New York City)

Deep Springs College (a 2 year school on a working ranch in California near the Nevada border)

Eugene Lang College of the Liberal Arts in New York City

New Jersey Institute of Technology

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
    · Reply · Share
    Tulane University received:

3.5 Pens for Academics

4 Telephones for Social Life

3 Stars for Quality of Life

Overlap Schools: Brown, Duke, Emory, GWU, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, U Miami (Florida), & USC
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 1
    Arguably, the best rating a school might receive from the Fiske Guide To Colleges is a 5-4-5 (5 Pens for Academics, 4 Telephones for Social Life--fun, but not too fun, & 5 Stars for Quality of Life).

Brown University, Stanford University & the University of Virginia received a rating of 5-4-5 from the Fiske Guide To Colleges. Duke University was close behind with a 5-4-4 rating.

Many of the super elite schools (Princeton, Yale, Northwestern, Penn, Cornell, UCLA) received a 5-3-3 rating although Harvard University, Columbia, Univ. of Chicago, Pomona College, Amherst College, Haverford College, & Williams College did a bit better with 5-3-4 ratings.
    edited December 1
    · Reply · Share
  • milgymfammilgymfam 963 replies16 threads Member
    edited December 1
    The 3 rating is interesting for Haverford. From my daughter’s tellings, I would think it was practically a party school (if I didn’t know better).
    edited December 1
    · Reply · Share
  • makemesmartmakemesmart 1671 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Interesting report! Guess CalTech inherits the “where fun comes to die” infamy now.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1312 replies2 threads Senior Member
    Are you able to easily tell what the new schools are in the Fiske guide? I have last year’s edition....am I missing much??
    · Reply · Share
    @NJWrestlingmom: Unfortunately, I cannot tell which schools are new additions or recent deletions.
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 1
    @milgymfam :

Quoting the Fiske guide:

"Without frats & sororities, Haverford & Bryn Mawr hold joint campus parties , but students say these affairs can get tiresome after freshman & sophomore years."

Traditional events include Haverfest, a winter Snowball dance & the drag ball.

"Life in the close-knit, introspective environment that is Haverford can get stifling, but there are easy escapes" to: downtown Philadelphia, New York City, Wash D.C., the New Jersey beaches, Pocono ski areas, and Atlantic City.

"Haverford boosts the number-one varsity cricket team in the country because, well, it's the only school that has one !"
    edited December 1
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78992 replies701 threads Senior Member
    edited December 1
    Seems like what kind of social life matters. For example, some colleges' social scenes may be dominated by fraternities, sororities, and/or drinking, while others may have big but more diverse social scenes that are more likely to have something for everyone.
    edited December 1
    · Reply · Share
  • juilletjuillet 12690 replies161 threads Super Moderator
    ^I came to say the same thing, @ucbalumnus. I thought maybe I was being pedantic, but "social life" can mean many different things to different students - and despite the dominance of this stereotype in the media, not every student wants a rollicking party life in college. A rating scale like this makes it hard to determine whether 1 telephone means "you'll be sitting in your dorm lonely crying every Saturday night" or "there aren't any boozy parties but there are literary clubs and fencing!", lol.

I note, for example, that two of the schools on the 1-star list are in New York City, and one is in Newark, which is in between two large urban areas and is a large city in its own right. I find it hard to believe that a kid at Eugene Lang or Cooper Union - both of which are in one of the most thriving neighborhoods in the city - couldn't find a good time if they wanted one. It's even possible to...make friends with students at other nearby colleges!

Caltech is, likewise, pretty close to Los Angeles.

I also don't think a high number of commuters means the social life has to be bad - it depends on the commuter students themselves. People in young adulthood enjoy socializing and partying regardless of whether or not they go to college. My sister who commuted to college from home partied harder than I did, and I lived on campus; my brother skipped college altogether and also got his partying in. Where you live doesn't have to determine how much you socialize with others, if you're creative and have access to transportation.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78992 replies701 threads Senior Member
    Commuter student social life may not be captured by any measured or subjective view of "campus social life" because commuter students may be more likely to have social life away from the campus or campus-associated locations or organizations like fraternities and sororities.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21567 replies226 threads Senior Member
    Publisher wrote: »
    Quoting the Fiske guide:

"Without frats & sororities, Haverford & Bryn Mawr hold joint campus parties , but students say these affairs can get tiresome after freshman & sophomore years."

Don't many juniors and seniors get tired of campus parties regardless of the college/university? That has been my experience and that of my children and their friends. I've seen the young people I know move on to more selective group settings and small parties, dinner parties, events and concerts off campus, etc. What seems cool as a 1st year becomes lame after awhile.

· Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9487 replies507 threads Senior Member
    edited December 1
    I still have my 2015 Fiske. I used to be concerned about those telephones.

My kids’ colleges both have three phones. But based on the experiences of my kids, my senior daughter’s LAC is pretty standard and most kids study a lot, with the occasional party, whereas my freshman son’s public U is nothing but raging parties four nights a week. And yep, he’s pretty open about his partying. I think you have to consider the kid when considering these ratings. Fiske can’t interview everyone I guess.
    edited December 1
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2
    "A rating of three telephones suggests a typical college social life...". Quote from Fiske Guide To Colleges 2020.

With respect to Haverford College, the Fiske Guide was just describing the typical social life pattern and continued on to describe common options available regarding trips to downtown Philadelphia, New York City, New Jersey beaches & to Atlantic City. Options which are not available to thoses at many rural, isolated LACs.
    edited December 2
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2
    @Lindagaf : Re: Your post #14 above:

If your son is at the University of Vermont--I am not sure, but assume so based on your past posts--it currently has a 5 Telephone rating from the Fiske Guide To Colleges 2020 edition.

Quote: " The University of Vermont attracts a mix of party animals and serious types.

UVM receives 5 Telephones for social life, as well as 5 Stars for Quality of Life. Academics received 3.5 Pens.

Overlaps include: Ithaca College, Univ. of Colorado at Boulder, Univ. of New Hampshire = all of which have % Telephone ratings for Social Life.
    edited December 2
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9487 replies507 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2
    No, he’s at Binghamton, haha! It’s not a true party mecca, though it seems he’s made it that way. Thank goodness he’s finding time to study. D is at Bates and is just not a party animal.
    edited December 2
    · Reply · Share
  • circuitridercircuitrider 3408 replies170 threads Senior Member
    I can attest to the active social lives of commuter students. Often overlooked in standard assays of Middletown CT which tend to concentrate on Wesleyan (without researching it, I'm guessing it's a 5-3-3 school) are the ~4,000 young adults served by nearby Middlesex Community College (MXCC). A little older than the Wesleyan kids, they work the cash registers and bus tables up and down Main Street. But, more importantly to the 21+ crowd, their patronage is crucial to the survival of more than one drinking establishment that I can think of.
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2
    Wesleyan University is a 5-3-3 school.

Overlaps = Brown, Tufts, Vassar, Yale, Chicago, Swartmore, UCal-Berkeley & NYU.

Quote: "Wes students are progressive, politically minded, and fiercely independent."

New York City & Boston are both two hours away, but NOT easily accessible by public transportation.
    edited December 2
    · Reply · Share
  • elena13elena13 894 replies15 threads Member
    Curious about Vanderbilt. Based on your description in post #4, I would have thought it would fit there given that it often gets high marks for "happiest students" and good quality of life.
    · Reply · Share