right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Schools are not offering in-person tours because of COVID-19, but many offer virtual tours. Check out our directory of virtual campus tours we know about right now.
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!

Slightly Updated Ideas & New Stats - DD Bio/Premed

disorbeddisorbed 21 replies3 threads Junior Member
Posted before but changed some info and thought it might be easier to start a new thread.

MAJOR: Biology/PreMed
HOOKS: none (but people keep telling us fullpay/no aid is definitely a hook)
GEO PREF: Prefers out of state-likes CA & NY, must be near larger city as she doesn’t want to be in the middle of nothing, less than hour from airport, nonstop flights from DFW
WEATHER: OK with snow/cold, loves outdoors and beach
MONEY: Fully funded 529 for undergrad and grad
HS: Current junior at large (3500 students) suburban, very competitive
SPORTS: Plays lacrosse, club sport at her HS
GPA: 5.3 weighted/4.0 unweighted, Also 4.0 on college transcript
APs: HuG/4, Psych/5, WorH/4, currently in Span, EnvSci, Phys1, Eng, US Hist
COLL: 22 college credits w/ 4.0 GPA (dualE), ColAlg, PlaTrig, EnvBio, EarSci, PhyFit, Photog
PSAT/NMSQT: 1370 (700RW/670M) on 10/15/19 test (207 NMSC)
SAT: 1530 (780RW/750M) on 12/6/19 test
ACT: taking 2/8/20
GREEK: not interested
VISITED: Tulane, Rice, USCal, UCLA, CalTech (Women in STEM), U of Colo, will visit Vanderbilt 2/17/20

-Would Tulane and U of Colo be match/safety? She really likes both campuses
-Need ideas for safety schools.
-She is interested in USC, UCLA, UC-Berkely, NYU, Tufts, WUSL. Rice is OK even though it’s in Texas.

MAYBE OTHER SCHOOLS? - U of Chicago, Columbia, Emory, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Johns Hopkins, U of Miami, U of Michigan, NYU, Northwestern, Stanford, Tulane, Vanderbilt

How do people do this? There’s too many choices. I think we might need to hire someone to help out.
20 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Slightly Updated Ideas & New Stats - DD Bio/Premed

• disorbeddisorbed 21 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Sorry, I guess you can’t edit it, but I meant to add that we heavily prefer a non-Texas school.
    · Reply · Share
  • blossomblossom 10245 replies9 threads Senior Member
    Nail down your safeties first-- take a look at Case, Pitt, Fordham.... all urban, easy to get back and forth. Have your D make an appointment with her guidance counselor to work through the Naviance data- if nobody from her HS with stats like hers has been rejected from a college (and you guys aren't looking for money) that makes it pretty close to a safety in my book.

You don't need to hire someone, unless you and your D have issues with communications, or unless you and the other parents don't see eye to eye on college.

Once you've got a strategy for your safeties, you can look at the more competitive colleges.
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1951 replies19 threads Senior Member
    edited January 7
    If she likes Colorado, then Utah is another good safety worth considering, with a great outdoor lifestyle and skiing. Its more convenient for the airport, in a bigger city (Salt Lake) and has much better merit. Grading for pre-meds is also very favorable (many STEM courses are 50-60% A/A-) and there is a medical school on campus.

I think you may need a bigger list of safety and match schools, as most of your list seems quite reachy and Tulane may not like being treated as a safety. How unhappy would she be to end up at UT Austin?
    edited January 7
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 81261 replies729 threads Senior Member
    As the parent have you determined how much money you are able and willing to contribute?

Not wanting to stay in Texas could be costly. Her rank could make some Texas public universities into safeties for admission. Also Texas medical schools for Texas residents will be much less expensive than almost all other medical schools.
    · Reply · Share
    blossom wrote: »
    Nail down your safeties first-- take a look at Case, Pitt, Fordham.... all urban, easy to get back and forth.
    Thanks, added these.
    work through the Naviance data- if nobody...with stats like hers has been rejected...that makes it pretty close to a safety in my book.
    Thanks, that is helpful. We don’t have Naviance yet but should soon.
    You don't need to hire someone, unless you and ... D have issues with communications, or unless you and the other parents don't see eye to eye on college.
    No communications issues, but she is pretty busy with school, test prep and practice. Luckily no other parents involved.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlwaysMovingAlwaysMoving 373 replies5 threads Member
    Colorado is definitely a safety. As long as she doesn't go Engineering (still competitive for that school) she's as close to a lock as can be. I think transpo to the airport came up in your previous thread, but if not it's VERY easy to get from CU to Denver Airport.

Check out Loyola Marymount for another safety. They have excellent pre med advising and it's close to the beach.
    · Reply · Share
    disorbed wrote: »
    MONEY: Fully funded 529 for undergrad and grad

It looks like you have this part thought out, but make sure you have added the total cost of private undergrad and private med school. It could be as much as $700k.

· Reply · Share
    Twoin18 wrote: »
    If she likes Colorado, then Utah is another good safety worth considering...Grading for pre-meds is also very favorable...and...medical school on campus.
    Thanks, added to list although merit aid not needed.
    I think you may need a bigger list of safety and match schools, as most of your list seems quite reachy...
    Yes, I agree completely.
    ...Tulane may not like being treated as a safety.
    Definitely didn’t mean to imply that. She really liked the campus when we toured in November. Probably would have enrolled then if she could have!
    How unhappy would she be to end up at UT Austin?
    This is more our philosophical/life experience preference to avoid living entire life in one state. I believe, if she does go on to med school, that she would have an “edge” at a Texas med school so undergrad in a different state would be nice.
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2740 replies36 threads Senior Member
    I wouldn’t include Cal/UCLA as potential premed schools since some UCs are noted for grade deflation and GPA is a key factor in medical school admissions.

I would consider URochester as a school to target since it has a highly rated medical school. Also look into LACs with good premed/prehealth programs.
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 4992 replies18 threads Senior Member
    Hamurtle wrote: »
    I wouldn’t include Cal/UCLA as potential premed schools since some UCs are noted for grade deflation and GPA is a key factor in medical school admissions.

This is definitely conventional wisdom, but do they give out A's in Organic Chem and other premed courses. Using UMich as an example, since I'm more familiar with it.

GradeGuide has Chem 210 where 29% get A's and Chem 215 where 35% get A's. I think if you're a top student, then you're a top student anywhere.
    · Reply · Share
    ucbalumnus wrote: »
    As the parent have you determined how much money you are able and willing to contribute?
    Yes, thank you, definitely aware of people who assume their kid will get a full ride or rejected and haven’t quite fessed up that they can’t afford the “dream” school. Always good to double-check, but we are prepared.
    ucbalumnus wrote: »
    Her rank could make some Texas public universities into safeties for admission.
    I wish we had her rank already, it would be nice to know for this reason. I guess it would be top 10%, no idea about top 6%. Lots of kids at her school have taken more AP classes than she did because she only took 1 in 9th and 2 in 10th.
    · Reply · Share
    Colorado is definitely a safety. As long as she doesn't go Engineering (still competitive for that school) she's as close to a lock as can be. I think transpo to the airport came up in your previous thread, but if not it's VERY easy to get from CU to Denver Airport.
    OK, I think we will consider Colorado a safety because she likes it, and we know it well. She can have her car at school or not, whatever is easiest.
    Check out Loyola Marymount for another safety. They have excellent pre med advising and it's close to the beach.
    DD is noncommittal about a religious school. She says “well, if it’s a good school...”

· Reply · Share
    OK, I guess I hadn’t thought this far ahead. I hate the idea of trying to “game” school/major/classes/grades for med school. Feels kind of unseemly, but I will admit that I don’t know much about the med school process. Is it really necessary?
    I would consider URochester as a school to target since it has a highly rated medical school.
    Hmmm, I don’t see any nonstop flights from Dallas to ROC. There is from DFW-BUF though, and looks like an hour drive from BUF to Rochester.
    Also look into LACs with good premed/prehealth programs.
    My husband talked to someone from Pomona and was very impressed with the support they offered.

· Reply · Share
    disorbed wrote: »
    DD is noncommittal about a religious school. She says “well, if it’s a good school...”

lol. My D is the same! My D didn't think it was religious from the tour at all and my neighbor loves it there and he is definitely not religious. Maybe check it out if you're in LA.

Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • Eeyore123Eeyore123 1747 replies22 threads Senior Member
    Some of the other B1G schools (e.g. Wisconsin, tOSU) could be close to a safety. They have direct flights to DWF. If she is looking for the big college experience.
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2740 replies36 threads Senior Member
    edited January 8
    I can understand the not wanting to stay in Texas for undergrad. But I might consider Baylor and TCU for premed. Both have medical schools although Baylor’s isn’t in Waco.

Also I believe Texas A&M now has a medical school as well.

Some of the Midwestern/East Coast private schools with top ranked medical schools are weeders for premed.

And many students with perfect GPA/SAT scores don’t adjust well to how lower division science classes are taught. Learning to apply concepts instead of pure plug and chug is an important lesson to learn.
    edited January 8
    · Reply · Share
    D21 visited Vanderbilt and liked it a lot. She also has Naviance access now. GPA is 5.4909 and Weighted GPA is 5.4222 and her rank is 57 out of 894. Cutoff for the top 10% is 5.4324, they don’t rank anyone not in the top 10%.
    · Reply · Share
  • yauponreduxyauponredux 785 replies27 threads Member
    @Hamurtle there is no longer an affiliation between Baylor University and Baylor College of Medicine
    · Reply · Share
  • CaliMexCaliMex 2076 replies34 threads Senior Member
    What about Rhodes College as a safety? Lots of research hospitals nearby, including St. Jude if she's interested in pediatrics. Direct flights from DFW, too, and merit money.
    · Reply · Share
  • ultimomultimom 245 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Hello, fellow Texan. Isn’t that top 10/6% deal a drag.

Definitely check admission rates for Vanderbilt on Naviance. Vandy seems very popular among Texans which may make is a more difficult admit than expected. Our high school had more admits to MIT than Vandy. Rice is also a tougher admit for Texans but you likely knew that already.

My son is loving Boston, cold and all (Northeastern engineering). I gather a Tufts is a great pre-med school.

I’m not seeing small towns or LACs on her list. I’m assuming there is a reason for this. Maybe look at more state schools as safeties if she doesn’t want small.
    · Reply · Share