right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Do colleges like Notre Dame accept Muslim students?

shreccccshrecccc 28 replies14 threads Junior Member
Just curious
16 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do colleges like Notre Dame accept Muslim students?

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15247 replies1033 threads Senior Member
    Yes they do. But you need to be comfortable living and studying in a Catholic environment.
    · Reply · Share
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG 940 replies10 threads Member
    Yes
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 80154 replies720 threads Senior Member
    Many religious colleges admit and enroll students of other religions.

However, how much of an influence religion has on the academics, student conduct rules, and general environment varies between different religious colleges, so that some may be more or less comfortable for a different-religion (or different level of religious observance) student than others.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 9532 replies119 threads Senior Member
    Great question. Would be interesting to know how many Muslim students are enrolled at Notre Dame.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23823 replies17 threads Senior Member
    80% of students at ND identify as Catholic. That only leaves 20% of the spots for students of other religions or no religion at all.
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 3406 replies40 threads Senior Member
    It is likely that 80% of their applicants are Catholic too
    · Reply · Share
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins 1030 replies98 threads Senior Member
    edited January 24
    US schools doesn’t discriminate on basis of religion and schools with religious affiliation are no exception, possibly even offer some scholarships to encourage students of other religions to attend.
    edited January 24
    · Reply · Share
  • hpcsahpcsa 518 replies23 threads Member
    @shrecccc As you specifically mentioned the University of Notre Dame and Islam in your question: Notre Dame has a very active Muslim Student Association (MSA). The MSA is dedicated to providing a home away from home for its members, which include undergraduate and graduate students and faculty and staff who come from all over the world. Signature events include the weekly Qur'an Halaqah, the annual Eid Dinner and Islam Awareness Week.
    · Reply · Share
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger 2986 replies161 threads Senior Member
    Notre Dame is overtly Catholic. If you’re not Christian or maybe Jewish, why would you want to go there?
    · Reply · Share
  • shreccccshrecccc 28 replies14 threads Junior Member
    @roethlisburger I don't plan on going there but my friends are so I was just curious
    · Reply · Share
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins 1030 replies98 threads Senior Member
    edited January 25
    Notre Dame is overtly Catholic. If you’re not Christian or maybe Jewish, why would you want to go there?

It’s a great school, so are many other religious schools. Don’t reject them without proper exploration just because someone says so. It’s not like religious schools are for theologians only, you can get great education and sports are awesome too.
    edited January 25
    · Reply · Share
  • SJ2727SJ2727 2264 replies8 threads Senior Member
    edited January 26

What a strange statement, why would you assume jews would “maybe” be more comfortable than Muslims at a catholic school, given the history of the catholic church’s attitude towards Jews in particular? (Hopefully not still very prevalent, and I don’t think it matters much now, but it’s a strange distinction to make to me. I know some Christians who would also draw a sharp distinction between themselves and Catholicism.)

It is likely that 80% of their applicants are Catholic too

I’d be interested if that number is public. I would actually tend to think that the % of catholic applicants is smaller than 80%, that a lot of applicants do apply because it’s T20 rather than taking religion into consideration.
    edited January 26
    · Reply · Share
  • roethlisburgerroethlisburger 2986 replies161 threads Senior Member
    Given that the OP has no interest in attending Notre Dame, is there a point in keeping this thread open?
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23823 replies17 threads Senior Member
    I think the number of applicants may be more than 80% Catholic. A lot of students at Catholic high schools submit their wild card applications to BC, ND, Georgetown rather than HYP.
    · Reply · Share
  • SJ2727SJ2727 2264 replies8 threads Senior Member
    I think the number of applicants may be more than 80% Catholic. A lot of students at Catholic high schools submit their wild card applications to BC, ND, Georgetown rather than HYP.

Presumably you also include Catholics at non catholic schools applying, as they clearly do - the breakdown of enrollment by type of school is 37% Catholic, 42% public, 21% private/charter/other. https://admissions.nd.edu/apply/
    · Reply · Share
  • shreccccshrecccc 28 replies14 threads Junior Member
    @roethlisburger maybe someone who is interested will stumble upon this thread. CC doesn't let users delete their threads for a reason.
    · Reply · Share